• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Best/Worst Mandarin/Cantonese Movie you've seen?

Captain Xin

Fearless,
The Warlords,
Bodyguards and Assassins.

Although there are some cinema stinkers like The Promise, there are also some really awesome Mandarin/Cantonese movies that shows the power of eastern cinema. So what's your favorites & what's your worst?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I saw a really crappy sequel to Jet Li's Fist of Legend. It had no rhyme nor reason and it was just random fighting, not even good fighting, with no plot or relation to itself at any time. Piece of crap.

the best is hard to pick, I've seen some awesome s#it over the years.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
best = Lashou Shentan / Wo Hu Cang Long / Jui Kuen (Drunken Master) and Gui da Gui because it's freakin' hilarious.

worst = Yi Tin to Lung Gei Moh Gauu Gauu Jue (Evil Cult)

it's worth mentioning most of my collection is martial arts, JC, the Venoms or Chow Yun Fat so I definitely haven't seen all there is to offer to make a better judgement.

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
BEST = HOT HANDED GOD OF COPS :')
Honorable mentions to Fist of Legend, Police Story, Hero, The Killer, Drunken Master, A Chinese Ghost Story, Mr Vampire and so on. There are many many others that are just "good" though including a lot that include the actors who came from the "Little Fortunes" opera troupe. Haven't seen Fearless in ages, but rate it favorably, wasn't impressed so much with Warlords, sorry!

BEST FOR LAUGHS ONLY = CITY HUNTER
Also Iron Rooster vs Centipede XP

WORST = RETURN OF GOD OF GAMBLERS >_>
Dishonorable mention to New Police Story

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I second Bodyguards and Assassins. Amazing tragedy/action movie. Half of the movie was talking and getting us know the characters then the other half is balls to the walls action all of this sacrifce was made just for Sun Yat Sen to arrived and discuss to overthrow the Qing Dynasty.

Now here are the best ones i have seen:

Red Cliff: It depicts the legendary battle of Red Cliff during the three kingdoms Era. Best adaptation of the battle so far.

Sha Po Lang: Chinese can really make some tragedies that even surpassed greek tragedies. This one is an example imo

Ip Man: Loose based on the life of Ip man but was still able to create a pretty compelling story backing it up with top notch Wing Chun choreography.

Fist of Fury - It's Bruce Lee. Need i say more?

I'll post more later. Time to see my collection of this kind of films again....

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I don't think I have any worst ones, but here are some I really, really like:

Hardboiled, The Killer, City on Fire, A Better Tomorrow, The Drunken Master, Game of Death, Enter the Dragon, and Way of the Dragon.

AngelEyes

Dressed To Kill
I can only watch the 40 minutes or so of Game of Death that are actually Bruce :S

Ip Man is pretty good, my favourite Donnie Yen film is probably Iron Monkey though

Top Bottom