• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bayonetta and Christianity

Railazel

Okay, I'm starting with sort of a rant here so bear with me, but I just starting to get sick of people saying that Bayonetta killed "God" and I just want to clarify a few things.

1) If you can't tell, the Angels on Bayonetta are far different than the Angels in Christianity. The Angels are collectively called "Laguna" in Bayonetta, we don't have any collective term for the Angels other than Angels. Second, the Angels in Bayonetta are physical and can be killed, there's no concept of death in the afterlife. Once you die, you go to the realm of the Dead, then you are resurrected during the End Times either to eternal life or eternal shame.

2) How the universe was created in Bayonetta is far different than how the universe was created in Christianity. In Bayonetta, there was a "First Armageddon" that split the universe into the "Trinity of Realities"- Paradiso (the angel world), Chaos (the human world), and Inferno (the demon world). Jubileus, the Lagunan Creator, was imprisoned in Pardiso. In Christianity, God created the Heavens and the Earth. The Earth was formless, so God had began to give it form. Hell was created after Satan had rebelled against God, and there's a realm of Death called Sheol where all the souls of the dead go.

3) Jubileus and God are very different. Jubileus had to be resurrected by combining the Right and Left Eyes of the World. Upon her resurrection, she would destroy the current world, including Paradiso, and create a new one. The only resurrection in the Bible is the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, in which he just simply rose from the dead. This Resurrection didn't "destroy" anything, in fact it caused a huge religious enlightenment. Jubileus had to be resurrected in a physical form, God has never placed himself in a physical form with Jesus being the physical embodiment of his Word on Earth. Jubileus was imprisoned in Paradiso as its governor under an eternal slumber, God is the active ruler of Heaven. Lastly, Jubileus can be destroyed, God has no possible end.

Now there are things in Bayonetta that were correct:

1) Jubileus' true name is unutterable to humankind. This is sort of reflective of the Christian view on God's name since God's name was unutterable for a time, though that perspective has changed so that people can praise his name freely without fear.

2) Rodin's story is based off Lucifer's rebellion, in which Rodin rebelled against the order of Laguna and was imprisoned in the Human World. Lucifer rebelled and was imprisoned in a similar manner, though Lucifer was placed in a special prison, Hell, along with his followers and, unlike Rodin, he isn't feared by those Heaven.

3) In Laguna, there is a hiearchy of angels much like the one in Christianity. However, the hiearchy in Christianity is merely the result of human speculation and has no biblical support, unlike in Laguna where there is an established hiearchy.

Now, I'm not trying to rant on Bayonetta, I'm a big fan of the game, but I'm just annoyed when people hype her up to believe that she's a god- killer. Its worse than how GOW fans think that Kratos can kill God, when he only fought the Greek ones.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
This reminds me of how a friend of mine forced me to stop playing Bayonetta when he came over just because "You're killing Angels! You'll go to Hell!"

Two things on that statement.

1. This is not Christianity.

2. It's a game. They're not real Angels. Get over it.

ZeroLove

Like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta has just taken inspiration from various religious and mythological elements. It has nothing to do with Christianity other than the references. I think you are looking too much into things and are taking it too personally.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Getting inspirations or references from different religions, myths or cultures to make a game is a very common thing, but I am not really bothered whether it is leaning towards any particular region or myth as long as the game is good.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I think you're taking this thing a tad too seriously. It's nice to really respect your religion, but getting annoyed to the point you want to make a thread in order to show that a game is not like the bible is a bit too far.

First of all it is obvious that they are not the same. In Bayonetta Angels are not taken seriously at all. The "point" of Bayonetta is to have fun not to insult angels.

Second, Angels existed like forever, even before Christianity. Man's wish to fly is eternal.

Third, I kinda think this thread could go towards heated discussion->anger->flame, but maybe that's just me, so let's see how it goes:)

Railazel

I'm not taking it seriously! I'm just ticked off that people are saying "Bayonetta killed God" all because they called Jubileus a god in the game. Its freaking annoying when people act like they can't tell the difference.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I don't honestly think anyone says it thinking that the Judeo-Christian god has been bumped off in a video game, of all things. Or indeed any other monotheistic deity in the real world.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Your saying this about Bayonetta when DMC4 was filled with references from Christianity. But ether way Japanese games like DMC and Bayonetta take references from all different Religion's. I've done lectures on Christianity and Judaism (why because I'm Christian) and Bayonetta is not down playing or killing Yahwah God of the Judeo-Christian Religion. Besides isn't the god in Bayonetta based on like Celtic god's or something?

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Your saying this about Bayonetta when DMC4 was filled with references from Christianity. But ether way Japanese games like DMC and Bayonetta take references from all different Religion's. I've done lectures on Christianity and Judaism (why because I'm Christian) and Bayonetta is not down playing or killing Yahwah God of the Judeo-Christian Religion. Besides isn't the god in Bayonetta based on like Celtic god's or something?

I can agree with you in this post. Maybe mine could be offtopical but only one game where totally Christian god could be killed was JRPG Shin Megami Tensei II for SNES ( Im also Christian church member, but I call myself an dark sheep, as I started not to believe in God after some circumstances)

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I can agree with you in this post. Maybe mine could be offtopical but only one game where totally Christian god could be killed was JRPG Shin Megami Tensei II for SNES ( Im also Christian church member, but I call myself an dark sheep, as I started not to believe in God after some circumstances)
I never played that game but again it's just a game so no harm! Lol Thanks for agreeing with my post and yeah Bayonetta is not hating on the Judeo-Christian God so yay! lol

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I've never heard the argument of 'Netta killed God. Then again i don't travel to many forums.

I think every argument people have to video games are partially filled with ignorance. We play games, therefore we know what is involved. Yet those who are on the outside just don't understand. Plus, what they hear from the media doesn't help.

I must admit, if Angels really do look like that then i don't wanna die.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I've never heard the argument of 'Netta killed God. Then again i don't travel to many forums.

I think every argument people have to video games are partially filled with ignorance. We play games, therefore we know what is involved. Yet those who are on the outside just don't understand. Plus, what they hear from the media doesn't help.

I must admit, if Angels really do look like that then i don't wanna die.
Agree. We go into video games knowing their a mixture of different things and we simply got to be smart and know this is all fiction that hurts nobody, let alone Religion. Besides most people I know play Bayonetta because they want to look at her lol. Again isn't the god in this game based on Celtic Religion or something so Railazel dude relax and go watch some Power Rangers and laugh at it's cheesy ness. (And enjoy it lol)

Railazel

I don't honestly think anyone says it thinking that the Judeo-Christian god has been bumped off in a video game, of all things. Or indeed any other monotheistic deity in the real world.

Thank you for giving me a proper reply and I hope you're right. Now if everyone else could get my point....

To put things into perspective for the rest, I LOVE BAYONETTA! Oh my god, if I don't get a PS3 anytime soon, I'm going to die! I need that game, I love it! So my beef isn't with the game.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I thought "angels" was more of a nickname within Bayonetta for Lumen Sages (or their servants).

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Guess its hard to tell the difference with these. I mean Jesus is our true savior and the angels are good. Its an alternative world in that game.

ZeroLove

If God gets killed off by Bayonetta, then I am single-handedly responsible for the death of Hitler courtesy of Wolfenstein. You may all congratulate and thank me accordingly...

It's a videogame, it's not supposed to be taken seriously. At least not THAT seriously.

Top Bottom