• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Barnes and Noble

EllDawn

I just read an article on Anime News Network that said B&N lost over $154 million over the last fiscal year. I don't know about any of you, but this does bother me. Some time ago I read that they might sell out Nook to Microsoft, in which case it would become an app on the Windows devices. It's just depressing to me to see such a good book store possibly go out of business.

Here's the article.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-27/barnes-and-noble-annual-loss-totals-us$154.8-million

Anyway, I thought I'd share this news with anyone that might be interested.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I wish I had a Barnes and Noble in my local area. The closest one is like a hour drive. We have a Books-a-Million. Being such an avid reader I love the bookstore.

As for the topic at hand yikes. That doesn't sound good. I don't think they would go outta business but, this does call for maybe some drastic action.

EllDawn

There isn't one in my area, either. It's maybe two hours away, I'm not sure. But when I've been to one it was almost like Christmas to me. I at least have a Nook, but can't buy books that often.

They might unless more people start going to the stores to buy books. Those who can, anyway. It's kind of like Blockbuster. If they haven't gone out of business yet, they're certainly on that track.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
There isn't one in my area, either. It's maybe two hours away, I'm not sure. But when I've been to one it was almost like Christmas to me. I at least have a Nook, but can't buy books that often.

They might unless more people start going to the stores to buy books. Those who can, anyway. It's kind of like Blockbuster. If they haven't gone out of business yet, they're certainly on that track.
A Blockbuster near me just went out of business. They started selling all the movies there at insanely cheap prices and it was pretty cool lol.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I would hope it doesn't go out of business since its waay better then Books a million. If it does go out of business then I would be really upset!

Meg

There's one about 20 minutes away from my house, but there's a great local bookstore ten minutes from my house. I'd go to Barnes and Noble more often is 1) I had money and 2) there wasn't a bookstore with nostalgia attached to it even closer to me.

Even so, I hope they don't go out of business. :'(

EllDawn

A Blockbuster near me just went out of business. They started selling all the movies there at insanely cheap prices and it was pretty cool lol.
There was one about a half hour from where I live that was closed a few years ago. I wasn't really sorry to see it go, but it was strange to see that it was shut down. It had been there for years.

It was harder for me to see that last bookstore, which was in the same town as Blockbuster, go out of business. For them it was a different situation. The owner wanted to retire, and no one was willing to buy the store. If Barnes and Noble goes out it's going to be a very sad day for me.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
There was one about a half hour from where I live that was closed a few years ago. I wasn't really sorry to see it go, but it was strange to see that it was shut down. It had been there for years.

It was harder for me to see that last bookstore, which was in the same town as Blockbuster, go out of business. For them it was a different situation. The owner wanted to retire, and no one was willing to buy the store. If Barnes and Noble goes out it's going to be a very sad day for me.
I love movies. I'm a cinephile but, I don't remember the last time I ever even rented a movie from a video store because I have the internet and I like going to the cinema. So I didn't really feel too bad either. I would get sad if Barnes and Noble went out of business though. I love the bookstore and going there is also like Christmas morning to me.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
While there is no Barnes and Noble in the UK, I would be equally upset if the bookstore chain, Waterstones closed down. It seems like people don't buy as many books as they did...maybe it also has something to do with the Nook and Amazon's Kindle book readers? Also, Amazon does seem to beat book stores on price, so even people who do buy books go to Amazon instead of their local store. It's putting them out of business slowly but surely. It's a shame.

I like the experience of book shops, being able to browse and take in the atmosphere. I prefer a physical book to a digital one; however, I can see how people without much space would prefer to buy an e-book reader instead of many books.

I just hope book stores can keep going for a while longer.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
While there is no Barnes and Noble in the UK, I would be equally upset if the bookstore chain, Waterstones closed down. It seems like people don't buy as many books as they did...maybe it also has something to do with the Nook and Amazon's Kindle book readers? Also, Amazon does seem to beat book stores on price, so even people who do buy books go to Amazon instead of their local store. It's putting them out of business slowly but surely. It's a shame.

I like the experience of book shops, being able to browse and take in the atmosphere. I prefer a physical book to a digital one; however, I can see how people without much space would prefer to buy an e-book reader instead of many books.

Yes. I love and appreciate the experiences. I have to have a physical copy of the book in my hand to read. That's why I will never get E-Books. Never.

I'm the kind of person that also just loves to go to the movie theater. People are like, I can just pirate this movie and watch it for free. And I'm like well, I'll go pay for a ticket and watch it in the movie theater. They can't understand that.

EllDawn

I love movies. I'm a cinephile but, I don't remember the last time I ever even rented a movie from a video store because I have the internet and I like going to the cinema. So I didn't really feel too bad either. I would get sad if Barnes and Noble went out of business though. I love the bookstore and going there is also like Christmas morning to me.
lol. I've used Netflix ever since the last video store here closed down. I never really did get into going to theaters. Too many people.

It's the same for me when I go into a bookstore. It also kind of feels like home for me.

The Kindle is actually more known than the Nook. One comment I read on some article was that it was pretty disheartening to be in a B&N and hear someone talk about how they bought their cousin a Kindle. They were selling Nooks right in the middle of the B&N and they didn't seem to recognize that.

That's the reason why I got a Nook. I still buy physical books. It's my one addiction. I just can't really find a place for them any more. And, having an e-reader, you can get books from people who are just starting to publish their work. So you're getting the chance to see something you wouldn't normally. Most publishers aren't willing to take a chance on a new author, from what I've heard.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I just read an article on Anime News Network that said B&N lost over $154 million over the last fiscal year. I don't know about any of you, but this does bother me. Some time ago I read that they might sell out Nook to Microsoft, in which case it would become an app on the Windows devices. It's just depressing to me to see such a good book store possibly go out of business.

Here's the article.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-27/barnes-and-noble-annual-loss-totals-us$154.8-million

Anyway, I thought I'd share this news with anyone that might be interested.

Nooooooo! D: They can't close B&N down! D: My life would be meaningless without them!!! *sad**wishes she were rich, then would give them lots of money to stay open*

EllDawn

Nooooooo! D: They can't close B&N down! D: My life would be meaningless without them!!! *sad**wishes she were rich, then would give them lots of money to stay open*
I would do the same if I could. I'd go on a shopping spree and buy every book I've wanted from them.

Will they still be online? Or is the whole franchise closing down?
I don't know. There was an earlier article about them selling it to Microsoft, but there hasn't been anything else about it.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I would do the same if I could. I'd go on a shopping spree and buy every book I've wanted from them.

I don't know. There was an earlier article about them selling it to Microsoft, but there hasn't been anything else about it.

Same! :S And then I'd have to build me a guest house just to fit all the books into....

Hmm...if they sold the company to Microsoft...I wonder if they'd still be a book store and have the same name and all that. :S *hopes they won't have to*

EllDawn

Same! :S And then I'd have to build me a guest house just to fit all the books into....

Hmm...if they sold the company to Microsoft...I wonder if they'd still be a book store and have the same name and all that. :S *hopes they won't have to*
I'd get a library like in Beauty and the Beast. That room was huge. And that would be my bedroom.

It did say it would be turned into an app for Windows devices. I didn't really like that idea since it would mean buying something more expensive than the Nook Simple Touch just for books. And I'm not that interested in getting a tablet just for reading, which is all it would be used for.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I'd get a library like in Beauty and the Beast. That room was huge. And that would be my bedroom.

It did say it would be turned into an app for Windows devices. I didn't really like that idea since it would mean buying something more expensive than the Nook Simple Touch just for books. And I'm not that interested in getting a tablet just for reading, which is all it would be used for.

Ooooh, I'd love to have that. <3
:S Ah. That...really sucks. I got my Kindle Fire with reading in mind (but I mainly use it for other things), but it doesn't run any Windows programs. >_< *mutters about them restricting her reading addiction*

EllDawn

Ooooh, I'd love to have that. <3
:S Ah. That...really sucks. I got my Kindle Fire with reading in mind (but I mainly use it for other things), but it doesn't run any Windows programs. >_< *mutters about them restricting her reading addiction*
You could probably get it for a computer, but that isn't anywhere near as comfortable. I know I like to lean back, nearly lie down, while I'm reading. You can't really do that with a computer.

Top Bottom