• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Article : How a haircut changed the path of DmC: Devil May Cry

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
http://www.gamesradar.com/making-dmc-devil-may-cry-haircut/

this is a very very good read, quite a lengthy one.. learnt some things more about DmC and the development from this.. oh, and i'm sorry if this might be a repost

but, i need to quote some lines in the very last paragraph, very very intriguing i should say

"The studio’s greater experience is currently powering development of Hellblade. Tucker, however, is working on another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy. Expect another Ninja Theory staple – that blend of story, character and combat – but this time with a less controversial haircut."

..Tucker, however, is working on another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..is working on another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..in secrecy.

SSSSSooOOOOOOooOOOOOOO.. what is it? what is it? huh? huh? what is it Huuuuuuuuuu~h???????

well i'm not saying that it's a DmC2, but still is very intriguing, anybody got any news on it? the article was dated august 2015, so this is pretty much new

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It's funny that the article says the battle between the fans of DMC and DmC has subsided...then you scroll down and see the comment section clearly begs to differ.

Anyway. An interesting article from a game development perspective. As to that "other project", I doubt it is DmC2 but rather a brand new IP. Perhaps for if Hellblade doesn't do too well.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
One of the members of the NT Team was a chick from the team that developed Warhammer: Space Marine? That's a really cool tidbit of information, actually...I had no idea.

Overall, I'd say that the article was a pretty accurate representation of the dev cycle that went into this game. I still remember reading early articles about how NT went out of their way to make Dante as similar to the original as possible, and Capcom still opted for a more radically, dangerously-different designed.

Two years removed, and I still hear the misinformed whine of the masses about how "Ninja Theory went ahead and changed Dante without even THINKING about the original."

What tripe.

Meg

Ah yes. It's been about three years since the game came out and we're still boiling down people's opinion to "the hair!!!!!" Am I really the only one tired of talking about this? :facepalm:

Waaaaaay more important is this secret project. Is it DmC2? That would be nice. It should be DmC2. :thumbsup:

absolitude

It's funny that the article says the battle between the fans of DMC and DmC has subsided...then you scroll down and see the comment section clearly begs to differ.

Anyway. An interesting article from a game development perspective. As to that "other project", I doubt it is DmC2 but rather a brand new IP. Perhaps for if Hellblade doesn't do too well.

yeah, the comment section really smh.. and if it's something as a reserve to hellblade then it's good thing, meaning at least it should something of an equal or better quality than hellblade.. honestly hellblade is getting me worried..
i hope more news come out soon about this secrecy..

I wanna say it so bad...

Edit: I will laugh/celebrate so hard if it turns out to be DmC2.

picard-laugh-650x382.jpg

One of the members of the NT Team was a chick from the team that developed Warhammer: Space Marine? That's a really cool tidbit of information, actually...I had no idea.

Overall, I'd say that the article was a pretty accurate representation of the dev cycle that went into this game. I still remember reading early articles about how NT went out of their way to make Dante as similar to the original as possible, and Capcom still opted for a more radically, dangerously-different designed.

Two years removed, and I still hear the misinformed whine of the masses about how "Ninja Theory went ahead and changed Dante without even THINKING about the original."

What tripe.

well all in all, this is all on capcom.. they opted for that, they get the financial report.. DmC is really like experimental for capcom, maybe that's why the article said capcom is OK with the result..

Ah yes. It's been about three years since the game came out and we're still boiling down people's opinion to "the hair!!!!!" Am I really the only one tired of talking about this? :facepalm:

Waaaaaay more important is this secret project. Is it DmC2? That would be nice. It should be DmC2. :thumbsup:

lol come on now, gotta admit it's really catchy for an article title.. although it don't seem like they're getting many clicks to it..

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Here's to a DmC2 where Vergil conquers Earth.

------------

"That’s the key thing for me, and the thing we tried to bring to DmC for people who maybe don’t get to sit down for hundreds of hours to practice."

Last edited:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta

What tripe.

Awww... did you guys think Mr bones would ever let anyone off his ride?
5760983+_27854ed4235de24a98e3a5513d9f05ab.png

Of course they aren't gonna stop talking about the hair.
The equation is simple. If the site = payed by the click : Then Articles saying it's all about the hair=anger=comment flame wars= repeated clicks = money. In other words, clickbait
The article's title is literally designed with the purpose of angry people clicking it and other people following after to defend the writer.
You+_36fc7be26f29fd7f7a9894284b9d41c5.jpg

The more you know!

Meg

Awww... did you guys think Mr bones would ever let anyone off his ride?
5760983+_27854ed4235de24a98e3a5513d9f05ab.png

Of course they aren't gonna stop talking about the hair.
The equation is simple. If the site = payed by the click : Then Articles saying it's all about the hair=anger=comment flame wars= repeated clicks = money. In other words, clickbait
The article's title is literally designed with the purpose of angry people clicking it and other people following after to defend the writer.
You+_36fc7be26f29fd7f7a9894284b9d41c5.jpg

The more you know!
It's sad how true that is.

GamesRadar used to be a great website with a lot of character. It's fallen pretty low over the past few years. It houses some of the absolute worst prose I've ever seen on a professional website on top of lazy content. I visit more out of habit than because I actually want to. Sad. :thumbsdown:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Its a fluff piece but I wish we got to see what the original designs for Dante were. They keep bringing it up and they keep saying it wasn't that different from what the Classic design was so I keep getting curious.

I did like some of the new quotes by Mr. Taini and Ms. Tucker and I'm curious what this new secret project is. I'm gonna be against the grain but I rather see something new from NT so heres to that.

But DMC/DmC needs some new content and we as a forum need something new to talk about so here's to that. If its DmC, I wouldn't mind something episodic just to flesh out the world and see how Dante operates in a mission of the week type thing.

I'm not against a full-fledged sequel tho but I think doing something smaller like a stand-alone digital only expansion would be cheaper and easier for a smaller team to do.

absolitude

I wouldn't mind something episodic

they say episodic is a way to make more money, and with how capcom is doing now, i verily agree, if they should go that way to save title and help the company then i'm on board.. RE : revelations did that anyway..

oh and for the secret project, i read somewhere that more of the info will be released on january, so keep an eye guys.

with that, i'd like to keep my hopes up that it'll be DmC2, but at the same time i doubt it, if it's DmC2, they won't release new info that soon, i mean imagine the let down to original fans.. unless ofc DMC5 will still come to the scene and that it's more in secrecy

berto

I Saw the Devil
Its a fluff piece but I wish we got to see what the original designs for Dante were. They keep bringing it up and they keep saying it wasn't that different from what the Classic design was so I keep getting curious.
I'm willing to bet that they're the ones from the art book where they overlap pictures with white hair. One of of Jason Statham and I'm a willing to bet the other are pre existing, too, as they search for what they want as 'cool.'
news_photo_27203_1364592802.jpg

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
http://www.gamesradar.com/making-dmc-devil-may-cry-haircut/

this is a very very good read, quite a lengthy one.. learnt some things more about DmC and the development from this.. oh, and i'm sorry if this might be a repost

but, i need to quote some lines in the very last paragraph, very very intriguing i should say

"The studio’s greater experience is currently powering development of Hellblade. Tucker, however, is working on another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy. Expect another Ninja Theory staple – that blend of story, character and combat – but this time with a less controversial haircut."

..Tucker, however, is working on another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..is working on another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..another project, one in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..in its early stages and shrouded in secrecy.

..in secrecy.

SSSSSooOOOOOOooOOOOOOO.. what is it? what is it? huh? huh? what is it Huuuuuuuuuu~h???????

well i'm not saying that it's a DmC2, but still is very intriguing, anybody got any news on it? the article was dated august 2015, so this is pretty much new
If you read Capcom's annual integrated report, they make it very clear to their shareholders that the reason that the didn't meet their goals financially was because of outsourcing. They all but say Ninja Theory's name during the report while talking about how outsourcing failed with certain IP's and that they're moving to a new internal R&D process of making future titles because outsourcing some games failed to meet their standards. They pretty much throw Ninja Theory under the bus and drive the bus over them so I highly doubt that they would say that to their shareholders and then do the exact opposite.

absolitude

If you read Capcom's annual integrated report, they make it very clear to their shareholders that the reason that the didn't meet their goals financially was because of outsourcing. They all but say Ninja Theory's name during the report while talking about how outsourcing failed with certain IP's and that they're moving to a new internal R&D process of making future titles because outsourcing some games failed to meet their standards. They pretty much throw Ninja Theory under the bus and drive the bus over them so I highly doubt that they would say that to their shareholders and then do the exact opposite.

i suppose that includes dontnod too, stupid capcom.. oh well, then not DmC2 it is.. i'm okay with that

cries and run to the corner

Judge

You know a lot of people don't realise that Capcom were aiming to western Devil May Cry before DmC. They tried it already with Devil May Cry 4. I remember seeing this video a long time ago where Capcom discussed how they were aiming to bring Devil May Cry a lot closer to Hollywood movies:

A lot of the fans and non-fans pretty much ignored anything the previous games did wrong and just outright denied that Devil May Cry was a mixed series. With DMC1 and DMC3 considered the better games in the series, and DMC2 and DMC4 being more mixed.

While I don't think there will be a DmC 2, Capcom are still going to be doing this Hollywood stuff, like what we've seen with how Resident Evil has nose dived since RE4, and I doubt anything will change with other games they make. I haven't seen anything from Capcom that looks promising, even Deep Down was promising until they said it would be pay to play. Unfortunately because the fans keep denying these problems exist and point the finger at the new kids on the block, nothing changes. And unfortunatly I think DMC5 could suffer from it.

While I still agree that DmC was not quite as spectacular as I think it should've been, I think they did a fine job and the mistakes they made were not too bad. It was a solid game in the end.

The other thing is they did a really dumb thing releasing for PS3 and 360 in January 2013 when the consoles were dead and X1 and PS4 were released in the same year.

Had they have used their heads, they should've released on PS3 and 360, and prepared a PS4/X1 version ready as new the consoles launched. Thats what other developers did, like Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag.

A lot of games were ready to launch for the PS4/X1 and similtaneously come out for the PS3/360. To release a reboot at that time, with no release ready for the PS4/X1 was a mistake. There was DmC DE, but it came out too late, 2015 was way too late, 2014 would've been acceptable. Your releasing an updated PS3 game with the likes of Bloodborne, Batman and the Witcher. It should've come out as a PS4/X1 launch title and have a release similtaneously on the PS3/360.

My view is that this was a time critical product and they got the timing and the release window all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom