• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone used Linux?

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I've decided to install Linux Ubuntu onto my PC (Since it decided to eat Windows 7 entirely) and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. This is my first time actually using Linux, I know the most part about how it works at it's core but I don't know many good free plug-ins/programs that could be helpful for general use. I know of Wine (Windows Emulator), but that's about it for anything major I'll probably need. Any suggestions or tips in general would be helpful.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
Pm me I know some stuff. Wine don't work any good. Even with games compatibility on Linux Ubuntu it does not work very well. Like you said it's system is completely different. More secure but lack of game compatibility. Linux is more for programming and graphical design. Feel free to ask. I am guru in PC.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
Thanks dude :) I'd prefer to ask here since if anyone has similar questions to me this page could help them.

I do both programming and graphical design so any pieces of software you could suggest for them would be helpful. (Any suggestions I would preferably like to be free or relatively cheap to use).
My experience with graphics has come from using Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Fireworks and PTC Pro Desktop (For 3D images) so what would you say is the best alternative to them for Linux? I've researched Gimp before but I've never used it; also I have no idea of what good plug-ins there are for it so I'm not overly sure of it's full capabilities. I would like to be able to create/edit both Vector and Bitmap files but I can make do with just Bitmaps for now. As for programming all I really need is suggestions for a good Linux compatible environment where I can create/edit programs (I use C# most of the time).

Apart from these things I think I've gotten pretty use to Linux already (I really love using the command line :p) so I don't have many more questions; though anything else that you can mention that you think could have easily been missed would be appreciated.

Ryuuou

Premium
Supporter 2014
Gimp is a good image edit program. You can use filters and all sort of things. About plug ins. I do not know since I use Windows 7 with Photoshop. I wanted to have both Windows and Ubuntu but I need more computers for that.
www.gimp.org/

Try and see for yourself.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I'll have a bit more in depth look then, thanks :)
Also if you want both Ubuntu and Windows have you tried making a new partition or using a virtual PC program? It would save the money it would take for a new computer.

Ryuuou

Premium
Supporter 2014
How much disc space do you have? you can easily make partitions in windows by one harddrive. The new partion will be empty and you can install independent Linux there. I done it before but you need soem space or operative systems will lagg.
WHen you boot up you can choose to boot windows or Linux. It is pretty cool. You can also use 2 hardrives. One each.
Tried ubuntu yesterday but my hardrive is a bit old. New computer is needed too for ps editing. Anyway try go : control panel>Administrative tools> Disk Space>Virtuall disk service. There you can make independent volume on currently installed operative system that will work as an own partition. Just right click and assign space in any byte. :)

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I know how to do all that, I was just seeing if you had tried doing it before since you said you needed another PC to use both Linux/Windows (Didn't want you to waste money on a new PC or anything :p)

Top Bottom