• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone else think that

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Well, at least in Latin, Mundus is pronounced the same way it's written and I agree it sounds better.

Viper

Premium
Well, at least in Latin, Mundus is pronounced the same way it's written and I agree it sounds better.
I always pronounced it the same way it's written, cause of Latin and cause my own language works that way.
The Latin version is more logical to me, since he is supposed to be ancient and most active around the times of Roman Empire.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Wut? Mundus is not pronounced the same way it's written. The pronunciation in Latin is like moon-doos, only it's a short 'oo' sound - a sound we don't have in English. So actually, both pronunciations are incorrect. That said, I always pronounced it Mundus with an English pronunciation. Moon-dus somehow sounds much weirder, and I don't find it logical to pronounce two 'u's so differently.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I don't know. My mother language is Portuguese( which still is very close to Latin), so Mundus is pronounced just like the way it is written.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I don't know. My mother language is Portuguese( which still is very close to Latin), so Mundus is pronounced just like the way it is written.
Well, I don't know what you mean by 'pronounced just like the way it's written'. There are multiple ways you *could* pronounce it (even if they're wrong). Do you mean it is pronounced in English just like it's written?

If so, that is incorrect. It's not pronounced Mundus with an ʌ as in 'bus' or 'run'. The second vowel 'u' is pronounced like a schwa in English, but that too is incorrect.
Nor is Mundus pronounced 'moon-dus'. The actual Latin (original) pronunciation is with a short 'oo' vowel sound for both of the 'u's.

Viper

Premium
Well, I don't know what you mean by 'pronounced just like the way it's written'. There are multiple ways you *could* pronounce it (even if they're wrong). Do you mean it is pronounced in English just like it's written?

If so, that is incorrect. It's not pronounced Mundus with an ʌ as in 'bus' or 'run'. The second vowel 'u' is pronounced like a schwa in English, but that too is incorrect.
Nor is Mundus pronounced 'moon-dus'. The actual Latin (original) pronunciation is with a short 'oo' vowel sound for both of the 'u's.
In my case, when I say pronounced like written, it means that no matter the word I always pronounce it like I do the standalone letter in alphabet.
In my language that means the short 'oo' vowel sound you mentioned, for both 'u'.

Top Bottom