• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

All about Super Sentai!

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I realized something today. I go on and on about Super Sentai but I’m the only one who knows what I’m talking about while everyone else smiles not knowing what the heck I’m talking about. Today I’m going to fix this. I’m going to explain what the “Super Sentai Series” is, and how it’s VASTLY different from its Power Rangers Counterpart. Than we can discuss about it.

What is the “Super Sentai Series?”
The Super Sentai Series is a series of Children’s TV shows that air in Japan created by the TV Company “Toei.” The Super Sentai Series consists of (as of now) 36 different shows about 5 warriors who transform into Super Heroes to fight whatever evil is attacking the Earth. Besides being an action TV show for kids the main lesson each Sentai show expresses is that whatever dream you have fulfill it. Basically kids are encouraged to make their dreams and goals come true by their own hands in a good moral manner. The Super Sentai keep the Earth and its people safe so everyone can fulfill their dreams.
The varies Super Sentai shows are all different from each other. For example: Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger is about Space Detectives who protect the Earth from evil aliens who try to commit different crimes on Earth. While Samurai Sentai Shinkenger is about modern day Samurai who protect the Earth from Demon like creatures this allows every show to stand-alone. There are “Cross Over” movies where two different Sentai teams will team up and fight a bad guy. These Cross Over Movies play in Theaters and later get released on DVD.
Although these are children shows there are a lot of elements within the shows that American parents would rage about. The Super Sentai TV Shows showcase: Blood, brief nudity, main and minor characters dieing on and off screen, showing dead characters in Heaven or Hell, Innocent people dieing on and off screen, and minor cursing. Sentai shows are truly Un-cut. While in Japan this is normal for young kids to see (ages 5 and up) American parents would flip if their child were exposed to this. Thus in America edits are made to scenes in Power Rangers.
Another difference is that the varies Sentai shows actually have good stories. The characters are not one-dimensional, they have full characterization! The characters change and develop throughout the course of the show, which causes us; the audience to actually care for them. I’ve cried numerous times watching Sentai shows, its just that good.
While in America Power Rangers ruins Sentai stories with their poor acting and story telling. This is not the case with all Power Rangers shows, some are even better than their Sentai counter-parts although this is rare. The Super Sentai Series is like the Marvel Comic Book Universe for Japan’s children. These kids truly look up to the Super Sentai and they LOVE the show.
Here is a list of the 36 different Super Sentai shows.

1. Himitsu Sentai Goranger (1975-1977)
  2. J.A.K.Q Dengektai (1977)
  3. Battle Fever J (1977-1980)
  4. Denshi Sentai Denjiman (1980-1981)
  5. Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan (1981-1982)
  6. Dai Sentai Goggle V (1982-1983)
  7. Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (1983-1984)
  8. Choudensi Bioman (1984-1985)
  9. Dengeki Sentai Changeman (1985-1986)
  10. Chousinsei Flashman (1986-1987)
  11. Hikari Sentai Maskman (1987-1988)
  12. Choujyu Sentai Liveman (1988-1989)
  13. Kosoku Sentai Turboranger (1989-1990)
  14. Chikyu Sentai Fiveman (1990-1991)
  15. Chojin Sentai Jetman (1991-1992)
  16. Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (1992-1993)
  17. Gosei Sentai Dairanger (1993-1994)
  18. Ninja Sentai Kakuranger (1994-1995)
  19. Choriki Sentai Ohranger (1995-1996)
  20. Gekisou Sentai Carranger (1996-1997)
  21. Denji Sentai Megaranger (1997-1998)
  22. Seijyu Sentai Gingaman (1998-1999)
  23. Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGo V (1999-2000)
  24. Mirai Sentai Timeranger (2000-2001)
  25. Hyaku Juu Sentai Gaoranger (2001-2002)
  26. Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger (2002-2003)
  27. BakuRyuu Sentai Abaranger (2003-2004)
  28. Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (2004-2005)
  29. Mahou Sentai Magiranger (2005-2006)
  30. Gougou Sentai Boukenger (2006-2007)
  31. Juken Sentai Gekiranger (2007-2008)
  32. Engine Sentai Go-Onger (2008-2009)
  33. Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (2009-2010)
  34. Tensou Sentai Goseiger (2010-2011)
  35. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (2011-2012)
  36. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (2012-On going. Current series)

Super Sentai vs. Power Rangers:
Around the time Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger was ending an American company called Saban got the rights from Toei to show Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger in America. However Saban’s “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” was VASTLY different from Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. The story of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger is as follows.

In Dinosaur times 5 ancient tribes worshiped the Dinosaur gods. Queen Bandora of the fairy tribe had a son named Kai. Kai was a bad kid, he would break open unborn baby dinosaur eggs for fun. One day while doing this a mother dinosaur caught him and chased him off a cliff. With Kai dead Bandora was heart broken, so she made a deal with the demon Great Satan to become a powerful evil witch. Bandora uses her witch powers to try and destroy the dinosaurs and their human worshipers. Bandora gets imprisoned by the dinosaur gods and 5 adults are put in suspended animation. (This was done because Bandora was feared to return one day). In the present day Bandora is freed by mistake and plans to rule the Earth. Barza a wizard from the Dinosaur times (who is still living in present day Japan) awakes the 5 warriors from their suspended animation to fight Bandora. Using their Dino Bucklers the 5 warriors (Geki, Goushi, Dan, Boi and Mei) transform into the Kyoryu Sentai Zyurangers. Later in the series Geki discovers he has a long lost brother named Burai. Burai uses the Dragon Buckler to transform into Dragon Ranger. The Zyurangers have Guardian Beast Dinosaurs. The Guardian Beasts can talk to the Zyurangers and combine to become Great Beast God. Burai's Guardian Beast is Dragon Caesar. As the series continues Burai dies giving his Guardian Beast and weapons to his brother Geki. The Zyurangers defeat Bandora, Great Satan and Kai (who is brought back to life by Great Satan to kill the Zyurangers) Bandora loses her magic powers and is imprisoned by Great Beast God and the 5 Zyurangers go to Heaven (alive) to live with their Guardian Beasts for ever and ever.

America changed the story big time. America changed the story to 5 teens (later 6) who are given powers by a wizard named Zordan. Bandora is dubbed by a English voice as Rita Replusa, the Guardian Beasts are dubbed as robots who can’t talk, their combined form Great Beast God is dubbed the Megazord and Dragon Ceasar is dubbed the Dragonzord while Great Satan is dubbed as minor bad guy and Kai is never shown. Instead of having Tommy die like Burai Tommy just loses his Green Ranger powers and Rita never gets sealed away like Bandora does, but rather becomes a good girl alongside Lord Zedd in Power Rangers In Space. MMPR became big in American so Saban continued the MMPR show. Two other Sentai shows that had nothing to do with Zyuranger were used in MMPR. Kibaranger from Gosei Sentai Dairanger became Tommy White Ranger and Ninjaman from Ninja Sentai Kakuranger is dubbed as Ninjor.
By the way Zordan, Alpha and Lord Zedd are American characters that are NOT part of any Super Sentai show. Zyuranger is about magic and, dinosaur gods, while MMPR is about Science and space.

What a difference huh? “But how did Saban do this you ask?” Simple Saban simply took the transformed fighting footage edited it and spliced it with American actors. So every time you saw Tommy fight as the Green Ranger you were actually watching Zyuranger footage edited and dubbed in English.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was a hit and Saban (than Disney, than Saban again) would gain the rights to other Sentai Shows and dub, edit, and splice American actors into them creating futher Power Ranger shows. For example: Power Rangers Juggle Fury uses transformed fighting footage from Juken Sentai Gekiranger and Power Rangers Turbo uses Gekisou Sentai Carranger transformed fighting footage.
The current Power Ranger series airing in America is “Power Rangers Samurai/ Super Samurai.” PR Samurai/Super Samurai uses transformed fighting footage from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. Sadly while Shinkenger was a huge hit in Japan PR Samurai/Super Samurai is a let down. Wow that is a lot of writing isn’t it? If anybody on the forum has read all of this THANK YOU. I put A LOT of work into this and I hope everyone can somehow enjoy this.

Let’s begin the discussion!!

Like every other Super Sentai fan I was first exposed to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a child. At that time I had no idea MMPR was a Japanese show dubbed in English and spliced with American actors. But as a child I loved the show as did most kids in the 90’s did, and since than I’ve always been a Power Rangers fan. Last year while looking through Google I found Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and watched the show.
It was so cool to see the original Japanese version with Japanese people transforming into the spandex wearing heroes. From their I began to watch Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger which was airing in Japan at that time. Gokaiger was an Anniversary show so it had cameos from past Japanese Sentai actors and this peaked my interest in watching over Sentai shows. As of now I’ve watched six different Sentai shows from beginning to end.
Because Sentai is better than its Power Ranger counterpart in every way possible I’ve decided to watch Sentai and Sentai only. I highly recommend Forum users to watch at least one Sentai series. I recommend “Samurai Sentai Shinkenger.” If anyone on the forums remembers Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or still watches Power Ranger programs and/or knows a little or a lot about Super Sentai programs I encourage you to talk about it here. THANK YOU any forum member who actually read all of this and please join me in talking about Super Sentai.

Top Bottom