• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Advanced combat discussion

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Not sure if this topic will pick up or if any even still plays DMC4 but I wanted to discuss some of the advanced mechanics like side raves etc with people to see what they find easiest or just to pass round any tricks we might have come across to make these techniques easier. If you are not familiar with these techniques please still join the discussion, I wanted to get peoples opinions and ideas on moves and that means everyone ;)

SpawnShooter

As I've had a few discussions here and there with a few members I though I'd give this thread a bump to see if anyone wanted to discuss anything.

I'm still confused with the Lucifer Glitch, so if anyone has any advice that would be very much appreciated.

Gorbashou

I'm really sad to say that I can't bring anything to this discussion. The only thing I could do almost perfectly was distorted attacks, and I touched slightly on timing Gilgamesh's charged up attacks.

However I'll get DMC4 for PC in approximately a week, I'll probably try some more advanced tactics then.

NostalgicRobotX

Can`t really pass around many tricks when it comes to execution of techniques, really just a matter of learning the inputs and being aware of what is going on around you. Different enemies have different reactions and physics behind different attacks as well, so it comes down to experimenting with what you have, and trying to adapt it to make it work in a realistic way. Raving in general gets a lot of people frustrated because the buffering window you have is very small, especially on Turbo where it is greatly amplified. The best thing you can do is use debug or a trainer to disable enemy deaths and find a mega scarecrow and practice the inputs. Try not to think of it so dynamically, because raving optimally doesn't have any down frames, it's a mater of repeating the inputs quickly but accurately. Some would suggest using a super costume for infinite DT to give you a bit of pillow if you mess up a JC or something, but I don't think this logic necessarily checks out, in a practice environment you should either be doing it correctly or not, and if you are not you should be quickly shown why.

Normal raves are best learned without even touching the analog stick, it's simply a master of learning the Skystar > Swordmaster & Enemy Step > Rave > Trickster > Repeat. It's relatively simple, and easily mastered with a bit of practice, but it's easy to get in the mentality that mashing the buttons without pattern or rhythm will get you the desired effect, and it may even work, but realize that you do not have control over the move or it's effects, if you fail to understand the effect it has on enemies and your position than you are doing it wrong and you should stop.

Side raves are along the same principal, except you are now bring the analog stick into the equation, this opens up a new layer of complexity for a variety of reasons, most notably maintaining your style switching pattern as well as dictating Dante's direction. There are no cures or tricks to this problem, it's a matter of finding the way that works for you the best, for me it's utilizing a claw grip over the controller, for others it's just a matter of moving your thumb around like you are playing Mario Party. You also start to lose control over your best element, buffering since the directional layout of Dante doesn't have that buffer that the other attacks in the pattern provide provide. Timing and orientation are now entirely up to you to fulfill, and you will be punished for failing to input correctly. I recommend starting by only raving in one direction, and think over the pattern of inputs you have in your head and focus on hitting those buttons. Pay little attention to information from the actual screen, because it all comes down to inputting it correctly, if the move fails it's because you failed the correct inputs and requirements for it. Obviously the same practicing environment is still the same, with a downed mega scarecrow to start, while moving up across varying enemy types and varieties. The final application of this technique becomes much harder when you have to manage a variety of stun-teching enemies as well as other dangers while using it like Frosts and Assaults.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I'll get some money in my birthday (30/05) and i'm thinking about getting this (link is in portuguese) copy of DMC4 very soon, so i expect to do a little reviving in this thread to ask some questions and get some tips from players that have more experience with DMC4 than me. Seeing that PB is kinda dead and there's still some DMC4 players hanging here.

But, anyway, just to give the thread some renewed life: How can i confirm if i did distortion in the right timing without a health bar to look at? I mean, i know it will deal a lot more damage and i can do controlled hits on enemies to check the timing, but it's kinda... innefficient and slow. And this timing can be compared with gold parries in DMC3, or it's more easier or harder? I know that this can be kinda tough to answer as we don't really have frame data on any DMC game.

From what i've played before, i've noticed several minor changes in the RG style (which is my favourite). If someone can summarize the main differences to me it would be cool too :)

SpawnShooter

With Distortion there will be a visual difference and Dante's model can "distort" to some weird shapes like stretching across the screen. In some cases you can also notice the extra hits and count them.

This is a really useful video for the timings needed,
Sorry about the Russian, I couldn't find the original.

Functionally RG works the same, it can still be used for other things such as guard cancelling (though not with guns and certain moves)
The main differences would be it takes longer to store up the gauge and things like Gold Releases have been removed, now you can only either fail or succeed. So basically you could say it's easier to use but not as powerful.
Then of course you have Dreadnought instead of Ultimate

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
With Distortion there will be a visual difference and Dante's model can "distort" to some weird shapes like stretching across the screen. In some cases you can also notice the extra hits and count them.

This is a really useful video for the timings needed,
Sorry about the Russian, I couldn't find the original.

Functionally RG works the same, it can still be used for other things such as guard cancelling (though not with guns and certain moves)
The main differences would be it takes longer to store up the gauge and things like Gold Releases have been removed, now you can only either fail or succeed. So basically you could say it's easier to use but not as powerful.
Then of course you have Dreadnought instead of Ultimate

Thanks, SpawnShooter! I think i'll be getting the game saturday, maximum, i will try to experiment a lot of things that i haven't done before. And the video was very helpful.

Top Bottom