The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Why does it seem like 99% of fantasy stories are set in medieval Europe? It's so boring. I'm so bored with it. Can we set it somewhere else? Anywhere else? Why is highfantasy so scared of branching out?? Please...some sand...rock....varied weather...please....
Haha, I was thinking the other day how easy it would have been to set my latest comic ideas in a medieval setting instead of a neolithic one or a sci-fi one.... mainly because the "world" of Euro medieval settings is already so engrained and understood in UK culture. It's a safe bet and people don't think it's too weird or taxing. But unless there's something else in there to spice it up, I agree - potentially formulaic and boring.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Supporter Gold
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
I've worked on illustrations for writers that requested NDAs on the material they sent me for reference. It's a little strange, but maybe those writers had something ripped off in the past before and they're just a bit nervous. I can sort of see why but there wasn't much risk from me, lol.
My money is on whoever gave the advice had it happen. Fortunately it's no big deal. I'm sure as hell not going to tell anyone what the story is, or rip her off. I've got 7 WIPs of my own to contend with. That's enough masochism for the next 5+ years. xD

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Supporter Gold
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
That moment when you have two more pages to read in order to catch up on an old WIP, and you procrastinate because you're afraid you still won't know how to proceed from where you left off. Help me. ._.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Writing classes and workshops are a great way to network, learn a new skill, or overcome writer's block. They also can be a distraction just like any kind of research.

Online classes can be cheaper but I prefer an in-person class. Just a different kind of energy.