The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Shadow

Dead Witch Walking
Supporter Gold
This story is gonna f***ing kill me, I swear. It was supposed to be a one shot, and it's taken me 7 months to write 3k and I don't have a single fully-completed scene. It's exhausting and I'm so--uuuuuuurg. It'd be so good if it was done; I know it. But it just won't. let me. finish it. And I don't know if I can handle much more of this; it's really not great for my mental health. I'm just so tired and I hate my writing and f*** all of this.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Supporter 2014
Supporter Gold
I'm not sure when the last time was that I sat down to write and actually wrote something decent. I haven't been in a good space for so flippin long and I've gone days where I'd sit in front of the computer for hours and nothing will make it from my head to the keys.
Does that make sense?
Yesterday I had an idea. I googled some locations, saved some links. I built a playlist of over 60 songs to act as a guide. And it was like... has anybody played the game MAW? Where you feed the Maw all those little fuzz balls? Well, my idea is a Maw, and it keeps feeding on itself and growing bigger and bigger. By this morning I had a movie in my head (no I didn't sleep much last night, thanks brain). So I sat down and wrote down on sticky notes, ideas, characters, environment, jobs, subplots, backgrounds, and scene after scene. To the extent that I was writing different points on different sticky notes all at once. Like I mean full out, I could barely keep up with my head.

It's a bit worrisome. I thought I should say something. So here's me, saying something. I'm going to do an Elsa and let it go now.

V's patron

I have no name for I am but 2 days old ;).
I went to writer's meetup on Saturday. It was in Central park and hosted by Jacob Kreuger Studios, a screenwriter workshop in NYC.

Their podcasts are pretty good. I recommend them even if you're not a screenwriter.

We did some writing exercises and swapped stories. There was a teacher who taught "meditative writing" and it was fun.

Most of the writers were beginners looking to start writing or college students and people in the business but lapsed. I'm in the middle and one person said she wasn't motivated enough to finish anything she started

That got me thinking about my writer's block and the slump i feel my life is in.

:'(:unsure::whistle::banghead::nailbiting:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I'm troubled by my WIP.

It seems that the only natural option to end the story is to destroy one of my main characters. His story has been leading to inevitable destruction since page 1. He tried, he really tried, but there's no way he could make it. He just didn't learn from his mistakes. It would be ridiculous if he just suddenly realized everything and saved himself.

The thing is... he's a reflection of me. His problems are my problems.
If he won't make it, am I able to make it? Wouldn't destroying him just be a very bad way to predict my own fate?

I mean... I don't want to do this. Not to him. Not to myself. I can't.
But it would serve the story though.

V's patron

I have no name for I am but 2 days old ;).
I'm troubled by my WIP.

It seems that the only natural option to end the story is to destroy one of my main characters. His story has been leading to inevitable destruction since page 1. He tried, he really tried, but there's no way he could make it. He just didn't learn from his mistakes. It would be ridiculous if he just suddenly realized everything and saved himself.

If he won't make it, am I able to make it? Wouldn't destroying him just be a very bad way to predict my own fate?

I went through something similar with my own work. Sometimes going too personal or getting too invested is detrimental.

I'd say try writing a happy ending for yourself and use the sad ending for the actual story.

Angel

El Shaddai
Admin
Staff
This isn't working - two themes, opposed to one another, within one piece of writing.

I've got a week to come up with something decent or scrap it altogether. Which is happening more often than not, lately.

Ugh...need rewrites, a decent thesaurus and some peace and quiet. The thesaurus I can manage.

Shadow

Dead Witch Walking
Supporter Gold
Hm...a little over a week for three fic deadlines...don't wanna. Just...no motivation to do it.

+ Learning that the Conan Doyle estate has been exploiting money from anyone wishing to use Holmes in something for years now kinda makes me not wanna work on my pastiche....

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I'm troubled by my WIP.

I made a decision and I'm literally crying, I feel so sorry for him and I just want to hug him and gosh he's a fictional character, why is this so hard?!
I'm gonna miss him. Farewell :'(