The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
@Dante's Stalker Ouch, I don't envy you. D: After a fraction of that time, I wouldn't be able to change the character's name, so I can just imagine how much of a pain and how frustrating it is. Which name was it, out of curiosity?

Related to the thread: Oh, geez, only 12 scenes left? I could swear I still had 15. D: Okay, don't freak out. Don't freak out. Every time you do, you wind up slamming on the brakes, and that's the last thing you need. The draft's nearly done; just keep your frigging head, and get it done.

Thread starter #523

Shadow

Dead Witch Walking
Gold Supporter
"The 'they let out a breath they didn't know they were holding' line is the worst trope ever. It's so unrealistic." Wow, so you've never been so surprised/horrified/shocked/frightened/etc. that you've inadvertently held your breath? Wow, your life must be boring af. I wonder what it's like to have the emotional response of a soggy pillow. It must be so exciting. /sarcasm

The reason why that, and a lot of other one-line tropes, is so common is because people do it. That's it. You're just not aware you're doing it most of the time. :/

Last edited:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Twitter
sol_elemental
*Goes checks alerts to see someone has added one of my stories to their reading list aaaaaand I haven't updated it for ages* ._. I'm so terrible at that. I should try to update it, but I have been getting brain farts on how I want to progress the story. I'll just have to re-write it all and take a different approach. I just feel so bad..... :'(

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
I'm getting the weirdest sense of deja vu as I look over the last scene I've written--like I've seen it before, only not with my eyes, but (gods, this is going to sound stupid) in a dream. Maybe I dreamed about how the situation would play out, and forgot about it, and my waking mind plucked it from my subconscious as I wrote? There's just something about Reeves' line, there... ._.

Likewise, I'm torn about the way he acts in that scene. Would he really plead? I have a hard time imagining anyone facing that fate wouldn't, but at the same time, is it out of character for him? Or have I found Reeves' breaking point?

Gdi, FIRST DRAFT! Stop nitpicking about it; whatever's wrong with it, you can fix it later. Stop torturing yourself. :facepalm:

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
Thinking of changing the side antagonist's name. I mean, technically I could keep it, on the premise that not every villain has to have a name that sounds villainous; but on the other hand, I'm not sure if his name feels natural with his character. And as he shares a name with one of my friend's sons--and in the completely unlikely chance she ever reads my books--I don't want to have to explain how I named the character a good year before I'd even met her. But then again, as I did name him before we knew each other, it's not like I have to explain myself in the first place, right?

I mean, I know a lot of people assume all writers name or create characters based off people they know, but we don't; I sure as hell haven't.

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
Sorry for the triple post. ._. But this is better off here than anywhere else.

I wasn't prepared for that today. I wasn't even looking for it, and if I'd been more awake, I wouldn't have let myself get that far. Some good has come of it, though, but I won't be using that good until the sixth drafts. Because frankly, after I'm done draft five of TMT, I need to have some distance from it. I'm cranky and impatient with my progress, and I won't do myself any favours trying to improve things without first having a clear-cut idea of how.

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
Seriously considering taking a legit break from all my writing. It doesn't have to be half a year or anything, but maybe a month...if I can manage it. ._. Fact is, I've been resisting burn-out for a while now. It hasn't been constant, but it has been frequent enough that it feels like my focus is entirely on the technical bits, and none of the creative aspects. I miss feeling strongly about the world; I miss near-constant conversations with my characters in my head--I miss being annoyed by the holidays pulling me away from my work. Things have become so forced, steeped more in impulse than desire, and while impulse has always been a part of it, the relationship between it and desire used to be a lot more symbiotic.

It was a Tumblr post that got me thinking about this, initially; mainly because what the blogger described of their own experience paralleled my own. I need to stop thinking of myself in terms of those casual writers who maybe write once every three months, and start thinking about how, for nearly five years, I've barely taken a few days off here and there. People in other jobs have taken a crap-ton more vacation time in half that time--so why do I constantly feel like I'm making excuses for something I obviously need?

There's a lot more to this, really, but that'd get pretty lengthy. The long and the short of it is, I need to take a break, consume other things I enjoy (shows, books, games, whatever) without that "you should be writing" guilt. It might feel like a creative death sentence (dramatic, I know--I don't like not working) but I think it'll honestly benefit me and my work in the long run.

Now let's see if I have the wherewithal to pull this off...

Rebel Dynasty

Flame of Olympus
Gold Supporter
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
Thinking I need to put Shattered Time on the back burner. Truth be told, after 3 years, I still only have a vague notion of how the story is supposed to go down, and I'm not in the right head space or place in my life to work through the details. Moreover, I feel like I've just been pressuring myself to work on it because it ties in with some of the events in FotS and TMT, and I feel like I have to do it. When I work on it, I want it to be because I want to, not because I feel obligated to, when my mind is directing me toward other projects.

That said, with the holidays so close, I'm not sure I want to tackle the next round of edits (which might be developmental in nature, and therefore, large scale) for FotS just yet, either. :unsure:

This year has been irritating on quite a few levels, but the creative blockage has definitely exacerbated the situation, given it was always my go-to when I needed a break from real life stresses. >.>

Z218

working hard and hardly working.
I've been suffering from writer's block for a few months now so i bought a year pass to MasterClass on a whim. They have classes by Aaron sorkin, Dan Brown, Judy Bloom, Margaret atwood, Shonda rhimes, etc.

So far ive started the classes for Aaron Sorkin and Dan brown. They are pretty fun.