The ranting thinking thread

Angel

El Shaddai
Admin
Staff
Ugh. And now Storm Ciara is about to utterly destroy my weekend plans.

Stupid weather.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
I wonder if people realise just how hurtful saying "compassion and sympathy are meaningless if you don't have empathy for others" is to someone who fluctuates wildly between being a low and high empathy autistic...like no, I can't put myself in your shoes, but I can acknowledge your point of view and that we have differing povs and I can still care about your position. Isn't that better than having the ability to put myself in your shoes and completely refusing to use it? Ffs...
Not to get on your nerves, but how I perceive this is.. Ok, so you disagree with his/her POV, but having some empathy means you... feel for the person's plight or something. You don't feel it, you come off as insensitive. Just sayin'.
****ing thought police, hive-mind bullshit everywhere.
Indeed. I see it all the time on Reddit. People see an Awesome fury kill (4 kills in rapid succession) people still **** on it... others follows suit. Like, people think it's fun to be hateful.
"Resident Evil 4 is a good game but not a good Resident Evil game"
- Number 1 most idiotic phrase on the internet.
God, I love RE4. It's literally the best RE game next to RE2 Remake.

Shadow

Dead Witch Walking
Supporter Gold
Not to get on your nerves, but how I perceive this is.. Ok, so you disagree with his/her POV, but having some empathy means you... feel for the person's plight or something. You don't feel it, you come off as insensitive. Just sayin'.
:unsure: …I genuinely fail to see how me sitting up all night with a friend who's suffering, talking through what's bothering them and doing what I can to soothe them, or me speaking up for someone who's being treated like s*** is somehow less because I don't feel exactly what the other person is feeling. I don't need to feel someone else's emotions to understand that certain behaviours are socially/morally/ethically/personally wrong or to understand that something could be hurtful in certain circumstances. Kindness is a choice, regardless of your levels of empathy; you don't have to feel what others feel to want them to be happy or to care about them. :/

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
:unsure: …I genuinely fail to see how me sitting up all night with a friend who's suffering, talking through what's bothering them and doing what I can to soothe them, or me speaking up for someone who's being treated like s*** is somehow less because I don't feel exactly what the other person is feeling. I don't need to feel someone else's emotions to understand that certain behaviours are socially/morally/ethically/personally wrong or to understand that something could be hurtful in certain circumstances. Kindness is a choice, regardless of your levels of empathy; you don't have to feel what others feel to want them to be happy or to care about them. :/
But, the thing is, that person is probably going to feel worse than your soothing. Let me put it this way: I used to be popular in middle school. All my friends know each other. So, a friend of mine hears all sorts of stories. If a friend talks badly about me, he'll defend me or stop talking to that person. So, if that person badmouthed behind my back... he loses his friendship. So, people around him know better than to badmouth someone.

So, the moral of the story is: You attempt to soothe your friend, but proceed to badmouth one of his, then he may feel worse. You're trying to make him feel better about himself, and his choice(s), so when you say something bad about someone he might've respected, liked, or whatever... you come off a lil insensitive.

That's all I was saying. Don't interject your commentary too much or that soothing has the opposite intention. Unless you both agree that person is "x." (Piece of crap, loser, etc. That kind of thought.)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Supporter Gold
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
Dude... The point of this thread is for people to be able to come here and vent their frustrations without judgment. Maybe don't project your experiences onto someone else's, especially when you don't know theirs and it involves things outside of their control? Just saying. :/

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
Dude... The point of this thread is for people to be able to come here and vent their frustrations without judgment. Maybe don't project your experiences onto someone else's, especially when you don't know theirs and it involves things outside of their control? Just saying. :/
Quite the opposite. I'm not judging him. I'm actually, genuinely trying to help him navigate his situation. I'm friendly, so no judgement here.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Supporter Gold
Twitter
ShannonRohrer1
I can't believe people still tout the Kinsey scale as being reliable... I also don't see the point in relying on any such test in the first place. Self-examination can tell you a lot more about yourself than some generalized, outdated test can.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Staff
When I was somewhat younger my family forgot my birthday 3 years in a row. My mother, since, has made a point of always acting like it never happened. Whenever my birthday comes about she talks to people about it as though I were lying. She was on the phone with her sisters yesterday trying to peddle the same tone. I told her that she did, in fact, forget, and not act like it never happened and she turns to me and says very loudly 'what do you want!? You want me to get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness!?' What? So you want me to either let you go on lying about it, even to yourself, or you're going threw a false fit of Christian guilt? Well, nice try, love, but I was raised in a house full of women. Mexican women. You're dramatics just propel my response. So, no, I don't want you to beg for forgiveness on knees, I want you to admit you did it, simple as that, because we all know what would happen if any of us forgot yours. Save your martyr act for your acquaintances and your sisters. Between you and your sisters using your Mexican woman guilt trips have worned out their efficiency over the years and I'm not above calling you on it.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
When I was somewhat younger my family forgot my birthday 3 years in a row. My mother, since, has made a point of always acting like it never happened. Whenever my birthday comes about she talks to people about it as though I were lying. She was on the phone with her sisters yesterday trying to peddle the same tone. I told her that she did, in fact, forget, and not act like it never happened and she turns to me and says very loudly 'what do you want!? You want me to get down on my knees and beg for forgiveness!?' What? So you want me to either let you go on lying about it, even to yourself, or you're going threw a false fit of Christian guilt? Well, nice try, love, but I was raised in a house full of women. Mexican women. You're dramatics just propel my response. So, no, I don't want you to beg for forgiveness on knees, I want you to admit you did it, simple as that, because we all know what would happen if any of us forgot yours. Save your martyr act for your acquaintances and your sisters. Between you and your sisters using your Mexican woman guilt trips have worned out their efficiency over the years and I'm not above calling you on it.
I hear you on your plight.

I've had similar situations happen in my family. Not the birthday part, but the deceit crap.