Relatively unpopular opinions about any and everything

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I'll pick the multiplayer "live service" one over the cinematic, story-driven cutscene-abusing single player one.
Yeah, problem with that. What happens when the servers go down for "live services" games of that ilk. Just look at games like Battleborn or Evolve. Anthem is just sci-fi destiny clone that is going through "fixing" and Fallout 76 is just another multiplayer, survival game, that you can find a dime a dozen on steam.

I don't like abusive cut-scene story games either (except Asura's Wrath, but that is a whole another game altogether), but if the game does not gain any traction, popularity, or the servers eventually shut down, the game disc/app might as well be dead weight (Balrog voice). And I will take the smaller indie titles over either of the two trends you just mentioned. Especially when a lot of these smaller games are getting physical releases if there is high demand or the game does well digitally.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Supporter Gold
but if the game does not gain any traction, popularity, or the servers eventually shut down, the game disc/app might as well be dead weight
The movie wannabe games already are dead weight from the get go anyway, they don't even need a server shutdown or anything. So I'll pick the type of game that at least is actually a game and I can, you know, PLAY rather than watch for the majority of the time.

Plus, even bad "live service" games can still turn things around and become actually good, there are examples out there like NMS, Battlefront 2 and FFXIV. But a movie wannabe game is gonna remain a movie wannabe game forever.

The argument that they're often generic is true but it's an argument that can be easily be made for the cinematic games as well.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
Goku's voice alone is incredibly irritating and ridiculous in Japanese.
I know you hate me or dislike me or whatever... but you and I agree here. I was trying to watch Japanese DBZ at least once, but I cannot get over the Goku voice. The English dub of DBZ puts Goku into a more mature-sounding voice. He sounds legible, but Japanese DBZ sounds ridiculous, almost childish.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Plus, even bad "live service" games can still turn things around and become actually good, there are examples out there like NMS, Battlefront 2 and FFXIV.
Those are the exception and not the rule. That still doesn't excuse the crappy monetization schemes and loot boxes. Especially were talking about battlefront. Or four game with crappy at launch with the fix it later mentality. Not everyone has good internet. That's why I avoid most multiplayer games in certain single player games because of it. Instead of rushing to meet the man, make sure your game works first or try not to screw everyone over with ****y monetization schemes.

But a movie wannabe game is gonna remain a movie wannabe game forever.
Hence why I said I'll take the arcade style indie games over both of the trends. But even though cinematic games have some type of vision. Not all of course. I rarely say something like this, but I sooner play Hellblade than most of the live service games mentioned. And I don't even like Ninja theory.

The argument that they're often generic is true but it's an argument that can be easily be made for the cinematic games as well.
I can agree on that. But I'll take a so bad it's good single player game over-generic live service game or cinematic game. Or better yet, just a gamey ass game in general.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Supporter Gold
Those are the exception and not the rule.
My point is that at least with live service games, there's room for those exceptions to happen. With movie wannabe games, there is none cause what I loathe about them is not their quality, but their very nature.
And sure, greedy monetization is something that IS abhorrent but I can say that making me pay full price for a cinematic game is just as greedy and scummy to me. Those games don't have that kinda value, IMO.

Or four game with crappy at launch with the fix it later mentality.
That's also an argument that can be applied to single player games as well. It's not at all a peculiarity of multiplayer titles, live service or not.

But bugs, monetization, price point and all that stuff is besides the point. The point is the very nature of these games, what they're all about. Take a movie wannabe game and a live service game, both perfectly functional, no bugs, no patches needed, with a reasonable price, and neither with microtransactions of any sort. I'll still pick the latter over the former in a heartbeat. If I get a videogame, I expect to play it, not watch its endless cutscenes. Games are games not movies. Period.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
That's also an argument that can be applied to single player games as well. It's not at all a peculiarity of multiplayer titles, live service or not.
I am highly aware of that (Evil Within 1).

Games are games; not movies. Period.
Try telling that to David Cage and game critics that want to be taken seriously by their other peers.

I'll still pick the latter over the former in a heartbeat.
I understand and respect that. Just keep in mind that 5-20 years later, the game might not be around anymore.

I think Doctor Sleep was an even better movie than The Shining. Though I do like both alot
I do like the Shining, but I feel the word masterpiece gets thrown around way too much. The movie still has plenty of problems.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
We got into a light argument, but ok.
We all get into light arguments from time-to-time dude. Whether we're talking about DMC or anything else, it's only natural, we're not all going to agree on everything, be pretty boring if we did.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm interested in Tom Holland's Uncharted movie being a new story/prequel. It could backfire like Solo but I'm open to being optimistic.