General DMC5 Discussion

Sean Gow

I hope not. I thought the feature was missing, or it was bound to another button when I tried it out.
Yeah it’s weird, you have to have your analog stick dead centre in order for it to work. I thought it wasn’t a feature anymore, the demos been out ages and I only just figured it out before I posted on here. I really hope it gets fixed in feb, and if not, we definitely need to voice our opinions to get it sorted hahaha

berto

I Saw the Devil
Staff
You know, the weird thing about that is that mechanic doesn't really seem necessary. DMC games haven't been particularly complicated to navigate since 2. 1? Oh, absolutely, it was an RE game so large environment you aimlessly wonder in is in the description. It's not the fine print, either. But from 2 to DmC getting lost hasn't really been a huge concern with the games. Sure, there are a few in 3 and 4 when the path was hard to figure out, and one stage in DmC, thought, that one was intentionally a little complicated, but hardly requiring a compass or marker for the next objective and from what we've seen of 5 there is very little to get you lost. One or two alternating paths but the whole is almost completely straight forward.

windleopard

A video from Youtuber Devil Never Cry with some information from a Korean interview.

* We get some info on V's controls.

* The ending of this game will explain why it is set after DMC 2.

* There will be hidden weapons.

* If enough fans request other playable they may just put them into DMC 5.

* Nero can travel with up to 8 Devil Breakers on his person at once.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Staff
A video from Youtuber Devil Never Cry with some information from a Korean interview.

* We get some info on V's controls.

* The ending of this game will explain why it is set after DMC 2.

* There will be hidden weapons.

* If enough fans request other playable they may just put them into DMC 5.

* Nero can travel with up to 8 Devil Breakers on his person at once.
We know. There is a thread for all news and updates stickied on top. Check it out for all the info released so far.

Attack’s could be parried without royal guard
More like a bastardization of what Royal Guard is.
It cant even block everything.

We're using layouts that are almost 20 years old and everyone else has already moved one. Imagine that RE4 was still the way everyone did over the shoulder shooters. Just as RE4 is the original over the shoulder shooter DMC was the original character action game and everyone in similar titles and genres was influenced by them but none of them play like them anymore. RE4 is stiff and outdated and everything that's come after has improved on that formula to make it smoother and more accessible but you would never make a game that plays and moves like RE4 anymore, specially with the tank controls.
So why is it okay if Last of us and God of war does it?
Red ded 2 has this awful unresponsive controls.

1)If you tilt a direction just as the enemy moves, you won't get the move you want.

2)Both MGR and DmC showed me that lock-on-free signature moves is the future of hack and slash.
3)The one big weakness is the need to tilt the analog stick twice for some signature moves.
1) Adjust the direction by controlling the camera.
2) I see how you are intentionally leaving out Bayonetta because it allows both type of inputs.
3) There are a ton of more weaknesses. You have to make dial up systems to get some combos out.
You have to assign multiple skills to one type of input which makes it more confusing to use.
Some skills are only contextual, as in parry becomes a contextual skill in DmC , Rising and Bayonetta as well and dont have any individual animation at all.
Due to lack of unique modifiers one weapon cannot have multiple skills and instead you have to divide different skills between different weapons to get the functionality out.
Double forward is a really bad input with a controller as anyone that has played both console and PC versions of Lords of Shadow, Rising and Bayonetta can tell you.
My "solution" for the lock on (hard or soft) catching the wrong enemy would be that you manually aim your shots, a la over-the-shoulder + crosshair.
And here is!
Your own solution to lock on which is .. . .another form of lock on.
What happens if you are facing the wrong direction and double tap and your characters does stinger completely opposite to the enemy?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Staff
So why is it okay if Last of us and God of war does it?
Haven't played those games but I'm 90% positive that they don't have tank controls like RE4 does nor do you have to go into the inventory to change weapons or rearrange items. Over the shoulder isn't the issue, I'm not talking about the camera, I am talking about how no game inspired by an iconic piece of gaming history doesn't play like the original but rather tires to improve on it because it's easier to improve than to created. To progress. I said that because DMC5 has no variation or new anything on the main weapons for Nero and Dante and I am TIRED (In bold, italicized and underlined text) of the one, two, three and one, pause, two three combos on Rebelion. After 15 years is it really so much to ask for a new set or a little variation?

Red ded 2 has this awful unresponsive controls.
I haven't played that either but how is that relevant?

ShiningTempest

I said that because DMC5 has no variation or new anything on the main weapons for Nero and Dante and I am TIRED (In bold, italicized and underlined text) of the one, two, three and one, pause, two three combos on Rebelion. After 15 years is it really so much to ask for a new set or a little variation?
Game isnt out yet.

You dont want them to spoil everything do you?
Wait to see what they have in store.
You know Rebellion gets shattered, perhaps you get another weapon.
Nero needs a proper DT, so he might get Yamato as a proper weapon this time.
I haven't played that either but how is that relevant?
Because your criticism boils down to
"this game is doing this mechanic more conveniently for me, why dont DMC do the same?"
I would not be surprised to see Bayonetta 3 do everything you and Goldsickle demand improved.

Well once the demo finally drops. I plan to go on total media blackout. No more news, leaks, and scourging other forums (especially this one). I will avoid anything that have Devil in its title.....okay maybe I'll look at whatever combo vids people can make off out of the new demo but I'll be very careful of the comment section and thumbnails. We all know due to Capcom's incompetence and these fan wolves thirst to show the game off will let the full game get leaked.

I've seen enough. Itsuno promises there will be more weapons, more secrets, etc and we "haven't seen **** yet" (his words apparently). I want to have my expectations blown away (also Itsuno's words) but I'm not seeing that.....yet. However, if they showed off the "real" big guns then there won't be anything to be blown away by in the final product and thus repeat the same marketing mistakes as DMC4 and DmC.

Last edited:

Sean Gow

More like a bastardization of what Royal Guard is.
It cant even block everything.
I did basically say that in my post though..
I wasn’t saying the parrying was on par with royal guard. And to be honest the actual point of my whole post was me saying that in DmC, we generally kind of had everything we’ve ever had so far at our fingertips, regardless of whether it’s exactly the same or not, or as effective or not.
We had the majority of it there, in some capacity at least.

Overall I thought it was impressive what DmC achieved when it came to implementing Devil May Cry combat without the use of a lock on.

I actually prefer to play DmC without the lock on. It feels a little bit overbearing with all the other stuff you have to keep track of at the same time. That game relies heavily on all 4 shoulder buttons doesn’t it.

Obviously it wasn’t always perfect. But no game is. We all act as if every single DMC game has been perfect and they haven’t even ever come close. None of them. But we love them so so so much so it’s kinda like we overlook that.

But in DmC, very rarely did I ever find myself pointing my analog stick to an enemy to pull myself towards them and end up flying to the wrong enemy, and I think that’s to be commended

Goldsickle

Adjust the direction by controlling the camera.
It happens just as I execute the move.
What part of that don't you get?

I see how you are intentionally leaving out Bayonetta
I didn't "intentionally" left out Bayonetta, stop acting like I'm out to diss your favorite game.

Your own solution to lock on which is .. . .another form of lock on.
Manual aiming with over-the-shoulder is not locking-on.
And I'm talking about long ranged stuff, like shooting, Snatch or Demon Pull.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Well once the demo finally drops. I plan to go on total media blackout. No more news, leaks, and scourging other forums (especially this one). I will avoid anything that have Devil in its title.....okay maybe I'll look at whatever combo vids people can make off out of the new demo but I'll be very careful of the comment section and thumbnails. We all know due to Capcom's incompetence and these fan wolves thirst to show the game off will let the full game get leaked.

I've seen enough. Itsuno promises there will be more weapons, more secrets, etc and we "haven't seen **** yet" (his words apparently). I want to have my expectations blown away (also Itsuno's words) but I'm not seeing that.....yet. However, if they showed off the "real" big guns then there won't be anything to be blown away by in the final product and thus repeat the same marketing mistakes as DMC4 and DmC.
Same here. I did the same thing with God of War 4. So YouTube I will avoid for a while. Once I get this game, I'll be playing for the whole day.