Games Everyone Likes But You Don't

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Supporter Gold
I'm not going to live this down, but...Morrowind.
SAME.

It's pretty apparent that it only gets praised by most fans cause of nostalgia, IMO. Of course it is a far less "casualized" and a deeper RPG experience than the later games but holy hell did it age like yogurt. The chance based combat system being the worst offender of all which, combined with the insanely slow movement (even when you run), makes the game an absolute chore to play.

The only thing it really has going for it is the lore and atmosphere (damn, now that I think about it my opinions on Morrowind and DMC1 are so dang similar). I had to resort to console commands to get any enjoyment out of playing it and even then I dropped it after a certain point. I just couldn't bear the boredom after a while.

If you want to visit Morrowind but have a much more fluid experience wait for modders to finish Skywind.

Angel

El Shaddai
Admin
Staff
I can't tell you how much I wanted to love this game...it was almost a betrayal to dislike it. But I just could not get on with it.

Am loving what I've been seeing so far from the modding community. I recently played the Bruma mod and the nostalgia was epic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Even though I grew up on the Sega Genesis, I never cared for Toe Jam & Earl, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, and some of Sega's other "weird or quirky" titles on the system I can't think of at the moment.

Contra: Shatter Soldier & Uprising. I always prefer the classic, non boss-rush Contra games, 1-4. Hard Corps I do like, but not enough to play boss rush in other games. And I hated the ranking system in SS.

Anything by Team ICO. I am curious about the Shadow of Colossus remake.

Almost all of Ninja Theory's games. The only reason DmC is not on the list is the Definitive Edition. If it was not for that, it would be grouped with the rest of them. Hellblade looks interesting, but I'm gonna wait until it's $15-20 down the line.

Ninja Gaiden (classic and XBOX). I am willing to give the two games in the reboot series another chance. I was always more of a Shinobi guy. With that said, I hated the PS2 game.

Anything Dark Souls related.

Elder Scrolls IV & V, including any of the Fallouts past brotherhood.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
This isn’t a thread to discuss God of War and it’s also not a thread for picking points at WHY people don’t like certain games.

Please stick to the actual point here.
Everyone seems cool. So... I don't know what the point of that post.

I digress.
Even though I grew up on the Sega Genesis, I never cared for Toe Jam & Earl, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, and some of Sega's other "weird or quirky" titles on the system I can't think of at the moment.
Me either. I will say, however, there is no shortage of quality games on Genesis. Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi III (IMHO is the pinnacle of the series.), Earthworm Jim, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Comix Zone, Strider (almost-perfect port), Vectorman, and more I can't remember off the head. Ranger X and other mech titles were good on the system, too. Rocket Knight. Genesis had everything. Its only crime was being the weakest of the two consoles at the time.
Contra: Shatter Soldier & Uprising. I always prefer the classic, non boss-rush Contra games, 1-4. Hard Corps I do like, but not enough to play boss rush in other games. And I hated the ranking system in SS.
I like Contra, but it's difficult. The little kid in me would have picked up Contra, but today? Sorry. I tried to play Contra 3 on my own, but it's too damn hard. You get shot, you die. And if you die, you start from scratch in some Contra games. Contra 3? You die 3 times, you restart from scratch (continues), Hard Corps from what I remember is more forgiving.
Anything by Team ICO. I am curious about the Shadow of Colossus remake.
That remake should be cheap by now. Go get it. It's really, really good.
Almost all of Ninja Theory's games. The only reason DmC is not on the list is the Definitive Edition. If it was not for that, it would be grouped with the rest of them. Hellblade looks interesting, but I'm gonna wait until it's $15-20 down the line.
Heavenly Sword was good, but it needed polishing. A lot of polishing. Most of the other Ninja Theory games don't attract me nearly as much as Heavenly Sword. And, no, I have no issues with the woman being the lead.

I'm also in the same boat on Hellblade, I'll wait for it to drop to insanely "steal" price.
Ninja Gaiden (classic and XBOX). I am willing to give the two games in the reboot series another chance. I was always more of a Shinobi guy. With that said, I hated the PS2 game.
The reboot is better than the following games. So, I agree with you there. I played every Ninja Gaiden title - from Arcade, to NES, to the Reboot.
Anything Dark Souls related.
I agree somewhat. I don't mind hard, challenging games, but Dark Souls games are too intricate for my tastes.
Elder Scrolls IV & V, including any of the Fallouts past brotherhood.
I'm going to group those games as the Elder Scrolls games, including Skyrim and Oblivion. In theory, I like the idea of an open world RPG, but the games is/are slow paced. Most of the time, they are riddled with bugs and glitches, yes, including Fallout 4. I try my hardest not to buy or rent those games. But I do play Bethesda games. Doom for example was stellar. I am planning to get Doom Eternal.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I like Contra, but it's difficult. The little kid in me would have picked up Contra, but today? Sorry. I tried to play Contra 3 on my own, but it's too damn hard. You get shot, you die. And if you die, you start from scratch in some Contra games. Contra 3? You die 3 times, you restart from scratch (continues), Hard Corps from what I remember is more forgiving.
Contra 3 is not that hard, but I understand. Hard Corps is more forgiving if you're playing the Japanese version. Otherwise, Hard Corps is a lot tougher when playing the American version.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
Contra 3 is not that hard, but I understand. Hard Corps is more forgiving if you're playing the Japanese version. Otherwise, Hard Corps is a lot tougher when playing the American version.
Not how I remember Hard Corps. I remember getting to at least the stage with mode 3 style scaling stages, like stage 3 or 4. Alien Wars though? I keep dying in the first stage.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Not how I remember Hard Corps. I remember getting to at least the stage with mode 3 style scaling stages, like stage 3 or 4. Alien Wars though? I keep dying in the first stage.
To be more specific, you can take three hit before dying in the Japanese version of Hard Corps. The US version makes you a one hit point wonder. Everybody is different when it comes to difficulty.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
To be more specific, you can take three hit before dying in the Japanese version of Hard Corps. The US version makes you a one hit point wonder. Everybody is different when it comes to difficulty.
Yeah, but I meant, from what I remember, Hard Corps was forgiving because the AI doesn't even try to kill you. That's how I got as far as the Mode 3-style stages (the one with the giant robot on the highway, then after that one it's the overhead view where you shoot at enemies from walls, and whatnot.)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
IGA Metroidvania games. I for the life of me cannot get into them. Especially during the GBA/DS era. Ironically, the only Metroidvania's I really enjoyed were Shadow Complex and Strider (2014).

Gilver18

Hardcore Devil may cry fan
There's a ton of games out there. Popular games that almost everyone and their grandmas agree are great. But out of these immensely popular games, which ones do you not like and why? Here's my list.

The Last of Us

-
Almost everyone thinks this game has one of the most captivating stories in gaming, but I disagree. The Last of Us is pretty much the video game equivalent of Oscar Bait. While it has a unique take on zombies, it's still very generic being a VERY typical post apocalyptic zombie tale. There's nothing about it that really makes it stand out among others in the genre. So yea, I honestly don't understand why people think this game is so special. I'll stick to The Walking Dead.

Borderlands

-Borderlands is BORING. I remember buying this game on sale after a ton of my friends told me to play it. And I was bored to freaking tears. All you do is venture in to junk yards, shoot people, and collect stuff. Rinse and repeat. The only thing good about this game is its comic book art style. Everything else, :sleep:

The Evil Within

-
I'm a massive horror fan, but I don't understand why other horror fans would think this is a good horror game. I don't know why people act like Shinji Mikami is some master of survival horror when he was never good at the horror part. The Evil Within is a patchwork quilt of horror imagery and concepts, but no identity of its own. With every concept it touches upon, it does it in the most shallow possible way. And it's characters are nothing but trite stereotypes. The Evil Within, is lame. This is one of the weakest horror entries in recent memory. There are plenty of better choices out there.

The Elders Scrolls Series

-
Now, in no way am I saying these are badly made games. They just aren't my thing. I find them boring to play, and it's just your typical fantasy world. Fallout is a little bit more interesting to me, but even I'm not a big fan of those. So yea, Bethesda's massive RPGs I always give a pass.

Mass Effect

-
The adventures of generic space marine, and everyone wants to sex the blue chick. That's Mass Effect in a nut shell. *yawn* The blue chick is kinda hot doe.

Tomb Raider (2013)

-
This reboot of the Tomb Raider series is really an example of a reboot done wrong. Yet, a ton of people liked this game. It's less like Tomb Raider and more like Uncharted (which is also something I'm not a fan of) and Lara Croft's character is not a compelling lead at all. I always thought the original Lara was a headstrong badass, but I understand why people think she could have used some retooling to get her away from just sex symbol status. Fair enough, but this game does it wrong. Lara is just a victim of circumstance here, and the game thinks "character development" is beating the ever loving sh!t out of her every 5 minutes. It actually gets rather gratuitous. :bored:

Call of Duty Series/Battlefield

- The same crap put out every year with only minor changes, put out every year, and are boring as hell to play. Not to mention stories that are practically written like a paranoid xenophobic's military fanfiction. It influenced the industry in a terrible way, and we'd be better off without it. Battlefield is the same crap and the people who think there really is a significant difference are delusional.

Watch Dogs

-It doesn't fulfill on any of the potential it promised, and is just generic AAA slop. The main character is absolutely insufferable, and the story is boring. Even though the sequel looks like it's taking things less seriously, this first installment has sworn me off it for good. Another piece of evidence that Ubisoft is dead. The creative giant that made classics like Prince of Persia:The Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil is gone, and has now become another EA. Hell, they're pretty much worse.

Heavy Rain/Beyond:Two Souls

-
David Cage is a pretentious asshole who can't write for crap. He sucks, and so do his very story heavy games.

Five Nights At Freddy's

-The concept is actually unique, but the game is bad. It's just jump scare after jump scare which honestly aren't even scary. While it may startle the first time around, it loses its effect. The user interface is also crap as you rely more on luck than actual skill. This blew up in the horror scene for a while, and it didn't deserve to. Slender had more appeal if you ask me because it at least knew how to establish an atmosphere and didn't rely primarily on jump scares. This game sucks.

I think that's everything. What's yours?

Remember, these are games that are WIDELY loved by a lot of people. So, don't really put games that are ultimately mixed in reception. Comment below, let me know!
Ill try and keep this brief.
Fortnite,
overwatch,
last of us, which i feel is highly overated, its just one of those back when Troy baker was a hype voice actor games.
Mass effect as well honestly.
Resident evil 2 remake, its okay but the devs halve did it when it came to the scenarios and replay value in my opinion.

DarkSlayerVergil

The OG Castlevania games and mind you I don't particularly hate, I just very much prefer LoS take on Castlevania. The netflix series is pretty good though.