Games Everyone Likes But You Don't

DarkSlayerVergil

I mainly going based off of memory, but not much happens in Chain of Olympus other than the part with Kratos' wife and daughter. I'll give credit to GoS shedding some light with his mother and brother, but feels like hasty attempt to justify or at the very least, see Kratos as the lesser evil. GoS was made after GoWIII, but takes place between I & II. At least did something story wise compared to Ascension too. The only thing Asencion had was a "one more time, baby!" for the PS3.
But Kratos is the lesser of 2 at least compared to the gods.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
But Kratos is the lesser of 2 at least compared to the gods.
Not really. Before 4, Kratos was a whiny, selfish, bitch that blamed a majority of his problems on everybody else, but himself. Thank whatever god let character development set in when 4 came out. As far as I am concerned, neither is better than the other. It's a raging a-hole vs a bunch of a-hole gods. Asura's Wrath showed the gaming world how to get the job done right.

@LordOfDarkness Yes.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

Not really. Before 4, Kratos was a whiny, selfish, bitch that blamed a majority of his problems on everybody else, but himself. Thank whatever god let character development set in when 4 came out. As far as I am concerned, neither is better than the other. It's a raging a-hole vs a bunch of a-hole gods. Asura's Wrath showed the gaming world how to get the job done right.

@LordOfDarkness Yes.
I don't think paid you much attention to GoW story at all tbh. Kratos never blamed his problems on anyone and actually took responsibility for his actions as evidence by him serving the gods for 10 years as part of his agreement to rid him of his nightmares. Then when he finally fulfilled his labors to the gods with killing Ares they decided to not rid him of his memories. Plus the stuff with him having to push his daughter away and having to bury his brother and mother, realistically anyone in that situation wouldn't be mentally sound at that point add he'd still be suffering from the nightmares of his wife and daughter that the very same god he worshipped and payed tribute too caused him to murder. Honestly if the gods simply ridded Kratos of his memories(and they have the power to do so as Zeus and Ares have shown) or simply let him off himself like he originally intended Greece would still be up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I don't think paid you much attention to GoW story at all tbh. Kratos never blamed his problems on anyone and actually took responsibility for his actions
You're assuming I did not, but I did pay attention. God of War II & III would like to have a word with you about placing blame.

Honestly if the gods simply ridded Kratos of his memories(and they have the power to do so as Zeus and Ares have shown) or simply let him off himself like he originally intended Greece would still be up.
Which shows both sides are idiots. How many times has Kratos been betrayed or played a fools tool? Yeah, he gets them back, but who is the bigger fool in those circumstances?

Plus the stuff with him having to push his daughter away and having to bury his brother and mother, realistically anyone in that situation wouldn't be mentally sound at that point add he'd still be suffering from the nightmares of his wife and daughter that the very same god he worshipped and payed tribute too caused him to murder.
Yet, Dante, Solid Snake, Raiden, and Asura had it just as bad or worse than Kratos. They would like a word too. Plus, it was Kratos fault for making a deal with Ares in the first place. He made the Greek equivalent deal with the devil. Even he acknowleged this in 4 when telling Atreus the story of the stag.

DarkSlayerVergil

You're assuming I did not, but I did pay attention. God of War II & III would like to have a word with you about placing blame.
GoW2-3 showed a man used as the gods plaything lash out.

Which shows both sides are idiots. How many times has Kratos been betrayed or played a fools tool? Yeah, he gets them back, but who is the bigger fool in those circumstances?
Both Kratos and the gods are equally screwed by the end of the end of 3 but at least Kratos got the last laugh by not giving Athena the power of hope.

Yet, Dante, Solid Snake, Raiden, and Asura had it just as bad or worse than Kratos. They would like a word too. Plus, it was Kratos fault for making a deal with Ares in the first place. He made the Greek equivalent deal with the devil. Even he acknowleged this in 4 when telling Atreus the story of the stag.
Let me know when any of those characters (especially Dante and Asura) have to constantly live with the nightmares of slaughtering the people he cared for and yes it was Kratos fault for making a deal with Ares but he also atoned for that by doing the gods labors only for them to screw him over. How does Dante have it as "worse" Kratos? Both Kratos and Dante lost thier mother but Dante wasn't the one that had to kill his mother because of a god, and Kratos lost Deimos forever while Vergils back and better than ever after his last temper tantrum. Kratos had to also mercy kill someone he considered a friend while to my knowledge Dante never did any of that. Didn't Asura only lose his wife and Yasha? Never played MGS outside Revengence so you maybe right though I feel as though it's a bit unfair comparison since Kratos and Solid Snake come from different genres.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Both Kratos and the gods are equally screwed by the end of the end of 3 but at least Kratos got the last laugh by not giving Athena the power of hope.
That power of hope plotline was pulled out of the writers asses.

Let me know when any of those characters (especially Dante and Asura) have to constantly live with the nightmares of slaughtering the people he cared for and yes it was Kratos fault for making a deal with Ares but he also atoned for that by doing the gods labors only for them to screw him over
Dante had to kill someone he did care about, Vergil (before being ressurected) and the alternate version of Trish in the DMC2 novel. Asura may have loss "less", but a lot of innocent humans (the village girl that looks like his daughter being one of them) died due to Deus's schemes. Kratos cared nothing, but vengance and did not give a crap about mankind. Where was his concern for killing people for green orbs, being vaguely in the way, or killing someone to open a door or trap? I don't see you crying for them. Neither did he. Dante and especially, Asura would call him out on that. I've heard the same song and dance to feel sorry or pity him, from certain fans as a teenager. It did not stick then, and does not now, as I will never throw a pity party for Kratos.

Snake was a clone of his father and had virus built in to him that would cause him to rapidly age and be a walking bioweapon. If that ever happened to Kratos, you bet your ass he would take his anger out on the nearest breathing person. Jack Raiden real parents were killed and was taken by his parents' killer to be a child soldier. He grew up fighting, killing, and surviving everyday. Raiden did not even have a childhood. Not to mentiion Raiden was manipulated heavily in MGS2. At least Kratos had that, even if it was a Spartan one. Snake and Raiden, more so the former, had lost plenty of comrades, friends, or former allies. Once againm they had it bad or worse, and Snake would definitely call you out or him for making excuses

I feel as though it's a bit unfair comparison since Kratos and Solid Snake come from different genres.
Being different genres don't mean sh@t. Comparing and contrasting backstories and tragedies is fair.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Staff
Supporter 2014
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold
I do appreciate that you guys are having a seemingly healthy debate about GoW but it feels like it’s not really serving much to the thread anymore which is meant to be about talking about games that you don’t like that everyone else seems to like.

Maybe you could continue the discussion in a better suited thread, create one, or take the chat to PM’s. I feel that would work better guys.

Cheers :)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I do appreciate that you guys are having a seemingly healthy debate about GoW but it feels like it’s not really serving much to the thread anymore which is meant to be about talking about games that you don’t like that everyone else seems to like.

Maybe you could continue the discussion in a better suited thread, create one, or take the chat to PM’s. I feel that would work better guys.

Understood. I said what needed to be said, so I am moving on.

DarkSlayerVergil

That power of hope plotline was pulled out of the writers asses.
This has nothing to with what I said.

Dante had to kill someone he did care about, Vergil (before being ressurected) and the alternate version of Trish in the DMC2 novel. Asura may have loss "less", but a lot of innocent humans (the village girl that looks like his daughter being one of them) died due to Deus's schemes. Kratos cared nothing, but vengance and did not give a crap about mankind. Where was his concern for killing people for green orbs, being vaguely in the way, or killing someone to open a door or trap? I don't see you crying for them. Neither did he. Dante and especially, Asura would call him out on that. I've heard the same song and dance to feel sorry or pity him, from certain fans as a teenager. It did not stick then, and does not now, as I will never throw a pity party for Kratos.
Dante losing Vergil doesn't mean much since as you said Vergil came back and him killing alternate Trish is pretty silly to use as an example since his version of her is still live and kicking. What is this pity party you're going on about? I never said you had to feel sympathy for the character and just wished people were empathetic is all really.

Snake was a clone of his father and had virus built in to him that would cause him to rapidly age and be a walking bioweapon. If that ever happened to Kratos, you bet your ass he would take his anger out on the nearest breathing person. Jack Raiden real parents were killed and was taken by his parents' killer to be a child soldier. He grew up fighting, killing, and surviving everyday. Raiden did not even have a childhood. Not to mentiion Raiden was manipulated heavily in MGS2. At least Kratos had that, even if it was a Spartan one. Snake and Raiden, more so the former, had lost plenty of comrades, friends, or former allies. Once againm they had it bad or worse, and Snake would definitely call you out or him for making excuses

Being different genres don't mean sh@t. Comparing and contrasting backstories and tragedies is fair.
I'm sorry but I don't see much of a difference between Snake and Kratos in terms severity with backstory. Spartan children were essentially robbed of thier childhood as well plus the whole thing of children who were born with defects were killed and to say Kratos hasn't lost comrades in GoW is a bit dishonest since he did have to kill Orkos, Athena(accident), and the last Spartan(accident). Also I'm pretty sure Snake would call out Dante out for keeping someone like Vergil around considering he tried throwing the world into chaos for very petty reasons.

Gotcha, though I'm done with this convo tbh and for the thread tax I'd say Fortnite as it's something I could never get into as I much prefer Apex.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Staff
for the thread tax I'd say Fortnite as it's something I could never get into as I much prefer Apex.
Strong taste tbh, Apex is a fantastic game.

For my own contribution, Bioshock Infinite just never really did anything for me, I'm sure it's a well made, well designed game, but it just didn't grip me in the same way the original did and I could never really get my head around the adoration for it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Supporter Gold
For my own contribution, Bioshock Infinite just never really did anything for me, I'm sure it's a well made, well designed game, but it just didn't grip me in the same way the original did and I could never really get my head around the adoration for it.
Same here, also Bioshock 2 is criminally underrated.

DarkSlayerVergil

Same here, also Bioshock 2 is criminally underrated.
I honestly really disliked they tried to tie Infinite to Bioshock 1 and 2 through multiverse theory instead of simply having Infinte as a spin-off or take place in the same universe.

Reactions: Meg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!

The only reason Infinite get so much adoration (from critics at least) is that it comes off as "topical" with it's themes on racism, which is shallow at best. They don't do much with it, and time traveling and dimension hopping don't do much to help. I am not even a Bioshock fan overall, and I could tell 1 & 2 were still better than Infinite. Limiting the weapon load out to 2 weapons was stupid and them dumbing down to appeal to COD like trends.

Not that big in to Dynasty Warriors aside from a few spin-offs.
I never cared much for the console versions of Battletoads. The arcade game is better than all of them.
Mario Party
Saints Row 3 & 4

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
This thread made me go like "What the....?" Many times. So, I'm going to go with a few of them here, because some posts made me mind. blown.
Borderlands

-Borderlands is BORING. I remember buying this game on sale after a ton of my friends told me to play it. And I was bored to freaking tears. All you do is venture in to junk yards, shoot people, and collect stuff. Rinse and repeat. The only thing good about this game is its comic book art style. Everything else, :sleep:
It surprises me that you yawn on this. Borderlands takes the Call of Duty formula, and turns it into this post-apocalyptic future, in a comic book-to-life game. You're not supposed to pick up the controller and be entertained the minute you get dropped into a game. You're supposed to take your time with the game. The story is what makes the game so. appealing. I'm not even a fan of post-apocalyptic punk-rock themes. To me, this is basically Mad Max became a video game. There's a video game based on Mad Max, but this blows that game out of the water.

If you are a big fan of RPG's this SHOULD be right up your alley. The most popular trend at the time of Borderlands' launch was a first person shooter with RPG elements. There was a game that was modified and changed at launch, it was called Hellgate. I was just about to buy Hellgate at launch. I was there when the game was demo'ed at E3. So, gearbox took the void missed by both Hellgate and Call of Duty. Yes, your next complaint....
Call of Duty Series/Battlefield

- The same crap put out every year with only minor changes, put out every year, and are boring as hell to play. Not to mention stories that are practically written like a paranoid xenophobic's military fanfiction. It influenced the industry in a terrible way, and we'd be better off without it. Battlefield is the same crap and the people who think there really is a significant difference are delusional.
The whole point of Call of Duty and Battlefield was to reach history buffs. One was a true-to-form military story-based shooter, the other one was Battle Royale before Battle Royale even existed. But Activision and Infinity Ward tapped into a market that was largely casual with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

If you don't understand the appeal of Call of Duty, you simply was not there when the fire was lit. COD4 changed the way people viewed First Person Shooters. CoD4 was the perfect storm of what everyone wanted: Arcade, realistic military shooter. Battlefield missed the opportunity at every chance - at every launch. 39 Million copies vs 250 Million copies.

Most COD titles after MW2 failed to meet or surpass the fire that MW2 and COD4 set. That is, apart from Black Ops 2. BO3 was okay, but BO4? Low point. I liked Battlefield 4, but Battlefield V was the low point.
Heavy Rain/Beyond:Two Souls

-
David Cage is a pretentious asshole who can't write for crap. He sucks, and so do his very story heavy games.
I'm sorry, but Detroit destroys that notion. Heavy Rain was good, but damn - Detroit? If I ever am bored, I'll finish all the trophies for Detroit. Awesome game.
- Mortal Kombat (2011)

Back when I knew absolutely nothing about fighting games, I decided to get this as my first one cause I've always heard that the MK series was the most accessible for new players, compared to like, Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.
So I picked it up and while it is one of the fighting games with the most value for your money, I couldn't get into its combat system. Not that I have any particular beefs against the DAC system (although I'm more into creating your own combos out of single moves like DMC or Street Figher), but I felt the animations were pretty bad and overall, the game felt clunky to play, the characters felt like they had a stick up their butt the whole time. I felt MKX was a big improvement there, and one of the reasons I prefer it to this. And of course, it has the one thing that I don't like (not necessarily hate, but can be pretty ****ing annoying and cheap) about some fighting games (this and Tekken included), the overly long combos. Getting wrecked by a 30% damage combo out of ONE hit? Yeah screw that.
You'd have to understand Mortal Kombat to understand the reboot. If you were not there during the rage of the 1990's, you'll not understand this reboot.

Mortal Kombat was always supposed to be this over-the-top fighting game, and always been "flawed."
I like the Guilty Gear series, but it's WAY, way... WAAAAAAY on the extreme side of gaming. For ****'s sake you can even fatality your opponents mid-game.
Street Fighter has been balanced from time to time, it does have strategy, but it does have its cheap, dumb moments.
Tekken was more of a button masher than Street Fighter, but it's strategic. Because, like Mortal Kombat, one move can wipe out 20%, 30%, 50% of your lifebar, if you're not careful.
Killer Instinct has strategy, but it's every bit a button masher as the other game(s), however, in this instance, your job is to inflict as much damage via combos.
Samurai Showdown and Soul Calibur are games that really punish you if you don't think strategic. Though, I like the original Samurai Showdown not only because of ...Neo Geo. But I also love the game's mechanics (wrestling with the swords).
Zelda Ocarina of Time.
Probably most overrated game I ever played. There is so much wrong with it imo, that I dunno where should I start. Its ugly. Its repetitive. Gameplay is mediocre at best and bad at worst. No original places, just bunch of cliche stuff slapped together. Fire, earth, water temples are predictable and boring. And it does has one of the most obnoxious and annoying characters ever made in the game that makes you hear "HEY LISTEN" every three seconds.
Did I just read that right? Ocarina of Time?

Ocarina of Time

*looks around and looks at everyone* Did I just read that?

*long gasp to self, and slaps @Innsmouth so hard that he rethinks the comments*

I am mind blown.
Ah ... I said "Clash of Clans"?
The game itself is beautiful, but the issue is the rest of the "mobile game." I am in love with art, I love the game's art. Clash Royale, too.
Zelda games. Tried Wind Waker for about 30 minutes then just had to stop. Never again...
The game itself is good, the issue is the boat and the cell-shaded cartoony style. I'm not hating on the cell-shaded design, if that makes sense at all, because I actually like Breath of the Wild. Try at least Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, or Breath of the Wild.
God of War. I just...ugh.
Okay, so I understand that Kratos is naive, this emotion-less character, but God of War just fits that Hercules anti-hero, fictional storyline. Put it this way, if you wanted to make a greek mythology game, this is how you do it. Except, Sony (ahem - Jaffe) didn't just do a typical greek mythology storyline, they swapped Hercules with a enraged person - this stupid, petulant child who thought that the gods betrayed him. And his enemies aren't mere mortals, they are either greek monsters, gods walking among humans, other god creatures, titans, and god titans. I could go on and on with the list of foes you meet in God of War, but that's the gist of who you face in God of War, and it has twists and turns.

It's basically an interactive education in my opinion. You learn about how most of the famous gods died. It's an epic story, but that's what it is - an education.

My favorite part of God of War besides the epic storyline, is the controls. It just feels right.

My favorite memory is meeting Hercules on the other side of the table - as the bad guy. I ****ing screamed the moment I met him in the game. That's how hyped I was. I had goosebumps on my body that day.
I Don't get the appeal of those games. Why are they so popular? He's an a****** and a psychopath who kill just because. He doesn't have to, he just does. I've gotten people trying to defend these games saying that he's not evil because he has a complicated family life and he loves his wife and kid. I'm sure the people he's burned, sliced, and literally torn apart feel better knowing the guy likes to spend time with his family, just like they used to. I'd love to see that argument in a court of law. Zero Punctuation said it best: the most heroic thing you can do in GoW3 is STOP PLAYING!
The series starts out that way, but as you progressed, you learn that Zeus (his ****ing father) infested a virus into him. I spoiled a little bit about the game for you, but you shouldn't have ignored the game or even judged it. By God of War 3, you understand Kratos perfectly.
Diablo IS traditional RPG. Just pointing out that RPG as genre doesn't necessary include dialogue heavy progression .
I agree with this statement. That is all.
Kinda, but the only ones who get offended or upset are Gaming Brit and some OG God of War fans who have been around since the very beginning. I'll tell you this, if you decide to pick up the old games, just pick 1-3. You're not missing much with the psp gaiden games in terms of story.
Oh, no. You're definitely missing a lot in between. GoW3/4 does not make sense without playing either GoW1/2. In fact, GoW3 starts right there, after GoW2.
I mainly going based off of memory, but not much happens in Chain of Olympus other than the part with Kratos' wife and daughter. I'll give credit to GoS shedding some light with his mother and brother, but feels like hasty attempt to justify or at the very least, see Kratos as the lesser evil. GoS was made after GoWIII, but takes place between I & II. At least did something story wise compared to Ascension too. The only thing Asencion had was a "one more time, baby!" for the PS3.
Just a note on Ascension. I loved it. Including the Multiplayer. All they had to do was polish it a little bit more to get rid of the small bugs, glitches, here and there. Overall, the game was actually good, despite the hate it got.

------------------------------------------------ All caught up -----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll leave it there, but don't let me catch you saying negative things about Super Metroid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and any other high quality Metroidvanias.

Last edited:

Angel

El Shaddai
Admin
Staff
I'm not going to live this down, but...Morrowind.

As a Bethesda fan, it pains me to slate this but I just couldn't get on with it. Controls are clunky and unresponsive, everything is beige for, like, the longest time and it's just unpleasant to play.

When I got my copy, I was so absurdly excited to play and had heard nothing but praises for it...it was like I'd been sucker punched. Ended up selling the game on eBay, I think.

I think, in all fairness, the fact I'd played oblivion first didn't help. But still, I just can't get with it as an enjoyable game.

And now I need to shower because I feel horrible for turning on one of my favourite game series of all time...

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
I don't know if any of you notice but in every God of War there is an hint for the next God of War game that is going to be made... In God of War 3 for example when Kratos fall into the pool in the fight whit Zeus you can hear some ghost of Sparta quotes between Kratos and his brother, also Zeus and gaia talk about deimos...

Actually I like ascension story, even if it was unnecessary maybe, but it was good and it connect well to God of War 1...

Also what was important in chain of Olympus is the fact that was the first time a God of War game went on psp, and it was amazing, I mean every single moment in that game was amazing for a psp game and the graphic was mind blowing, the story was also important, it show you how Kratos imprisoned atlas something that was already foreshadowed in God of War 2 and how Kratos is connected to the God... And later in God of War 3 the story of chain of olympus is mentioned both when meeting Elios and when fighting ades and you see his wife cript

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
@Carlos That's what I meant. Play 1, 2 , & 3 in that order as far as the mainline games are concerned. Then maybe GoS & Ascension. If you have a PS3, you can get all of 5 GoW games in a collection pack aside from Ascension.

I don't know if any of you notice but in every God of War there is an hint for the next God of War game that is going to be made... In God of War 3 for example when Kratos fall into the pool in the fight whit Zeus you can hear some ghost of Sparta quotes between Kratos and his brother, also Zeus and gaia talk about deimos...
Yes, I noticed that.

Also what was important in chain of Olympus is the fact that was the first time a God of War game went on psp, and it was amazing, I mean every single moment in that game was amazing for a psp game and the graphic was mind blowing, the story was also important, it show you how Kratos imprisoned atlas something that was already foreshadowed in God of War 2 and how Kratos is connected to the God... And later in God of War 3 the story of chain of olympus is mentioned but when meting Elios and when fighting ades and you see his wife cript
I am aware of that too as far as technical achievement. I had a PSP 2 years before ChoO came out. Like I said, my memory is only fuzzy with Chains. Thanks for the info.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360
@Carlos That's what I meant. Play 1, 2 , & 3 in that order as far as the mainline games are concerned. Then maybe GoS & Ascension. If you have a PS3, you can get all of 5 GoW games in a collection pack aside from Ascension.
Maybe I read it differently, apologies.