• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you think Resident Evil has gone downhill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Reaction score
Ah. Oh. I'm sorry for going off at you. I'm just exhausted by the argument. I just want the thread to die, because Godsickle is just mind-boggling. He even called my "cash on-hand" wrong, implying that I am dumb.

So, you and I have the same upbringing about RE5/6. I was beginning to feel alone.
It's okay. At least now we understand each other. I actually don't mind RE5, despite its problems. With 5, there is fun to be had. 6 on the other had I can't stand, despite the fact that you can finally shoot and move at the same time. I will give 6 credit for having a huge enemy and monster roster and for making Jake's play style almost like a beat'em up. I am not exactly the biggest fan of 4 either, but I have no hatred. With that said, I do prefer Evil Within 1 & 2 over RE4-6.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to RE8, or just "Village" - because it looks better than RE7 is.

It's still unlikely we will get to see Ethan in full. That's just the vibes I get, because you're meant to "be" him, in terms of the perspective. But it sounds like we may get Alex Wesker and possibly Daniel from the mode that came with RE3, as the main villains. Plus, I want to know why Chris is evil now.

Don't we all, actually?

Goldsickle

Reaction score
I know that Capcom wanted the COD audience for RE6
I addressed that on post .

Feel free to read it and come to your own conclusions.
Ask me anything if you need more info.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
It's okay. At least now we understand each other. I actually don't mind RE5, despite its problems. With 5, there is fun to be had. 6 on the other had I can't stand, despite the fact that you can finally shoot and move at the same time. I will give 6 credit for having a huge enemy and monster roster and for making Jake's play style almost like a beat'em up. I am not exactly the biggest fan of 4 either, but I have no hatred. With that said, I do prefer Evil Within 1 & 2 over RE4-6.
I just felt like RE6 was boring. I love RE, because I want a modern game with horror elements. I buy RE for that survival horror game in modern times. RE is our generation's horror game. Silent Hill could've have had the success of RE, but in my opinion I think the games is a drag, I get the attraction to Silent Hill, its a survival horror game, with some paranormal elements. But 90% is dedicated to "exploration," and reading. You don't get action too often, and you put your controller down.

The thing about RE4, is that the game is addictive. While using different enemies, but they still tried to maintain the horror atmosphere. And they succeeded at mashing horror with action, making it the most addictive RE game.

It was perfect. Yes, it's not horror like RE2, where the "standard" is zombies, and has this oozing atmosphere. RE has always experimented with different types of enemies - you fight a big monster Tyrant character at the end of RE2, for christ sake!

RE2 Remake was perfect, too. It was the first RE game that I had jump scares, pulsating adrenaline, wondering what's next, because it's RE2. There ARE some issues I have with it, but it was perfect, because it's still using the RE4-style gameplay.

Its the first time I almost finished RE2. The original RE2? I didn't get close to finishing the game, I got as far to the boiler room with the lizard. I understand why the game is the way it is, because of the technology, but there are problems I have with it, such as the obscured view. Like the boiler room, you can only see one side of the room, because if you move you will be brought to a different perspective, it changes your controls as you change camera, it got frustrating, that I wanted to drop the game. So, when RE4 came out, I started to understand RE, and I got back into the series. But RE5 didn't really impress me enough, then the reviews came in, I read everything, and learned the issues, so I went like "eh." I tried RE6, though, because of the demo. The game had some promise, but once I played the full game. I made my mind up. I even finished the first campaign on my entire rental. :)

RE7 came out, I like what I saw of the demo, too. But I like it more than I was intending to... :) I also rented RE7, and got as far as the big boss battle, before returning it. I walked away impressed though - despite some issues like slowdowns. But I got my horror fill with fear, pulsating adrenaline, jump scares, etc.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Reaction score
I addressed that on post .

Feel free to read it and come to your own conclusions.
Ask me anything if you need more info.
I do thank you for supplying the evidence. With that said, there still some COD/Gears elements in RE6. Or trends in mainstream games that have become cliche or too common place. Such as the objective marker (or the waypoint that is measured in meters) to the next checkpoint or key item. Thankfully, RE6 let's you turn them off, but it's almost impossible to get lost in that game since exploration was streamlined even more RE5. Even if you take COD/Gears out of the equation, Capcom was still going for broadest appeal possible trying to please everyone. Which is something you should never do and where no one ever really succeeds at. The part with Operation Raccoon City does not surprise me in the slightest. My God, that game was such a wasted opportunity!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Reaction score
I just felt like RE6 was boring. I love RE, because I want a modern game with horror elements. I buy RE for that survival horror game in modern times. RE is our generation's horror game. Silent Hill could've have had the success of RE, but in my opinion I think the games is a drag, I get the attraction to Silent Hill, its a survival horror game, with some paranormal elements. But 90% is dedicated to "exploration," and reading. You don't get action too often, and you put your controller down.
I agree with RE6. As for Silent Hill, I am glad it took a different approach to horror. SH was always about the atmosphere. I am not the biggest SH fan, but I have huge respect for SH1-3/Team Slient games. The SH franchise tended to be the Jacob's Ladder or Stephen King equivalent of games, instead of George A. Romero's Living Dead Series. You don't want an action heavy. You end up with **** like SH Origins and Homecoming. Plus, most of the Western developed SH games missed the point and would just constantly copy Silent Hill 2. Characters and twist endings included.

The thing about RE4, is that the game is addictive. While using different enemies, but they still tried to maintain the horror atmosphere. And they succeeded at mashing horror with action, making it the most addictive RE game.
For you, but there is nothing wrong with that. I don't RE4 that addicting for me, but I see the appeal. The most addictive RE game for me is RE2Remake and Evil Within 2.

RE has always experimented with different types of enemies - you fight a big monster Tyrant character at the end of RE2, for christ sake!
100% agree on.

RE2 Remake was perfect, too. It was the first RE game that I had jump scares, pulsating adrenaline, wondering what's next, because it's RE2. There ARE some issues I have with it, but it was perfect, because it's still using the RE4-style gameplay.
Exactly why I loved RE2Remake so much.

Goldsickle

Reaction score
With that said, there still some COD/Gears elements in RE6.
If it's inspiration, I wouldn't be surprised.
It's hard to find it but there was a Kotaku article where the RE5 staff said they're fans of Gears Of War.

But I got really tired of that "Capcom wants RE6 to attract Call Of Duty" thing.
That argument is either used to back up the idea that "RE6 has an astronomical budget" or used to vilify Capcom, claiming that they are "betraying their fans".

Capcom isn't a perfect company and has a bunch of flaws.
But someone who criticizes Capcom using fake news aren't really good themselves.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
It's hard to find it but there was a Kotaku article where the RE5 staff said they're fans of Gears Of War.

But I got really tired of that "Capcom wants RE6 to attract Call Of Duty" thing.
That argument is either used to back up the idea that "RE6 has an astronomical budget" or used to vilify Capcom, claiming that they are "betraying their fans".

But someone who criticizes Capcom using fake news aren't really good themselves.
Give it up already you piece of ****.

We were just fine without your stupidity.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Reaction score
"Inspirations" I was not big on, but I am more so talking about the COD parts.
Ironic, because Cliff and his team were inspired by RE4. Now RE4 did have some cover mechanics, but basic obviously. Other games, whether action or horror, took those mechanics further. That case is called coming full circle and chasing your own tail.

Then ignore them or don't focus so much on them. Like it or not there are certain truths to their statements about attracting the COD audience. I am not talking about the "betraying their fans" part. It's ridiculous, but I could see that for being true with DmC in a way, but I am not getting in to that discussion again.

You better believe it! The main problem was starting in 2011-2019 (2010 if you really want to be technical or pedantic), Capcom was in a huge dork age for nearly the entire decade. I've already mentioned this in the DMC5 thread, but Capcom and many other Japanese companies were trying too hard to appeal to the West and avoid nearly anything Japanese or downplay it. They should not hide nor downplay the goofy things that makes them work or have charm to people who would not give them the time of day otherwise. Nor to constantly appeal to those that have Japanaphobia and have a hatred for Japanese gaming. Japanese gaming ain't perfect, but neither is Western gaming. Especially all the crap, a lot of them having pulling back in generations 7 and now.

Give it up already you piece of ****.

We were just fine without your stupidity.
Just ignore Goldsickle, @Carlos. He ain't worth fussing over. It's pretty clear you're not going to convince him of everything and vice versa. I suggest you just stay out of each others way for a good while. Like I said, I agree with you on your points and some of his. I think we can all at least agree the RE franchise is mostly doing fine and will always have people that support it no matter the generation. As long as Capcom keeps up with their quality and fans care. You all have good one, okay.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Reaction score
coming full circle
Exact same words in that Kotaku article.
I think the columnist wrote that.

Then ignore them or don't focus so much on them.
It's hard to ignore it when it's being brought up as "evidence" in a reply towards me.
It was mentioned to back up the "RE6 has a huge budget" claim, so I debunked it.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
Exact same words in that Kotaku article.
I think the columnist wrote that.

It's hard to ignore it when it's being brought up as "evidence" in a reply towards me.
It was mentioned to back up the "RE6 has a huge budget" claim, so I debunked it.
You DIDN'T debunk it, you trash.

If you think you're better than me or anyone, then you are DELUSIONAL. If this is who you really are, then I suggest you either join NeoGAF, or ResetEra. THEY will love your "one-sided" echochamber. Oh, while you're there, propose to them with your ring of loving honor.

Goldsickle

Reaction score
You DIDN'T debunk it
Turner was clearly talking about promoting ORC, a game that is "not a numbered title" and is "made by westerners" in that entire paragraph.
You'd have to be multitasking between mental gymnastics and word-mincing to conclude that he's talking about RE6.

The fact that you didn't see the digital reader link means you probably averted your eyes from everything I tried to show you.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
I've never really understood why the Silent Hill series was considered as a major competitor to the RE series for years upon years anyway. Giving the difference in their styles and the fact that RE soared in sales way ahead, while SH was always more niche and appealed to the J-Horror loving fans, mainly, I think they are nothing alike. But I do miss the series, because you always had creepy things going on in that series, and some scenes were just so good on that much needed level.

Like when Heather answers a telephone in an empty room and feels like somebody is obsessed with her, and you have vibes, like something out of that 90's movie called Jacob's Ladder. That's scary. Or when you go in the room with the mirror and it begins to bleed out. You think you'll never get out. What a tease. And while I think the second one is overrated, that's a work of art, for definite.

Of course, Konami had to be stupid and break up Team Silent, trying to go with the action horror route that Capcom more or less kicked off in 2005. And they wonder why the franchise basically died several years later. It wasn't the same once you had all of the movie stuff thrown in. And the HD collection came out wrong. It was a massive disappointment.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Reaction score
Guy we should just ignore the guy, there are like 5 page of useless talking..

trying to talk whit him it's useless, he s like a broke record, he is obtuse and he always need to have the last word and can't see any further of his nose... He s right in any case even if he is wrong so, lest just ignore him and don't destroy this thread

Goldsickle

Reaction score
trying to talk whit him it's useless,
I see you're another fan of self-projection here.

You start your drivel with "Capcom admits RE6 is a failure" and then change your tune to "no company will admit their games failed".

I repeatedly ask you to address this self-contradiction of yours but you refuse.
Backpedaling and then running off like that isn't very civil.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
Exploring STEM in The Evil Within 2 makes me think I am back in Silent Hill. There's so many things in fact, that reminds me of the series. For example, the Keeper is a homage to Pyramid Head. You have the supernatural stuff. Roads are out. It's just a great experience.

The Last of Us Part II has too many flashbacks and violence. However, that game is gorgeous. Could Capcom compete with Naughty Dog? Nah. Maybe not. But Naughty Dog is one talented company.

The Game Awards is on 10 December. Could Silent Hill be making a return?

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
Turner was clearly talking about promoting ORC, a game that is "not a numbered title" and is "made by westerners" in that entire paragraph.
You'd have to be multitasking between mental gymnastics and word-mincing to conclude that he's talking about RE6.
No ****. I knew that. You honestly thought I was stupid enough not to know that? I pretty much said so :
I can read between the lines with that official MCV article. It's obvious he was talking about RE5 > Operation Raccoon City > RE6
Don't project how "mental" I am nor not onto me. I'm smarter than you think I am. So **** off.
The fact that you didn't see the digital reader link means you probably averted your eyes from everything I tried to show you.
I didn't have to, YOU showed us the image, :

On the lower LEFT corner and the bolded quote below the image is what everyone was "running with." YOU'VE been ignoring that this whole time. So, why don't you drop your act, and shut the **** up so we can all move on with our lives.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
I doubt Chris is going to become a werewolf. I think somebody was just goofing around with the image of him, to indicate Chris has a darker side. Or it's somebody trying to get us fanboys talking.

Although I'm gonna feel so sad if Chris does indeed bite the bullet. But it will happen to the man eventually. Chris is a mortal. Unless he gets a hold of some super virus. He's getting on a bit.

If Alex Wesker is a villain in the game, she probably killed her adoptive father Barry and possibly Claire, along with Moira. That's going to be brutal to see, either way. Remember that Alex Wesker is actually Natalia, and Alex Wesker transferred her soul into her mind.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
Maybe the nonsense posts can be purged, or whatever. Not all of the posts in this thread are off topic or inflammatory. But it has delved into that sector, as a certain somebody isn't prepared to just leave well enough alone and accept people's opinions don't match up to his own.

It's not a competition to see who's "correct" about the series overall. Plus, you got your answer already in a video I posted hours ago to my YouTube profile. Then you said you didn't understand my Scottish accent. So, that's not my problem. And I said back then that I didn't want to keep dragging it out, as I knew this argument was going to spiral out of hand, because you keep replying.

Personally, I am excited about what's in store for Chris. Although I still think Capcom just added him in to draw in the fans, as always. But yes. He has done more for to battle Umbrella over the years, than a certain smiler turned widow has. So that's why he deserves to be in the game.

Don't be surprised if Chris is hardly in much of the base game. However, I can definitely see him getting a DLC campaign that's heavy on the action side, just to placate to the action fans, and that makes sense, because he's a veteran. But if he dies, expect to see some epic ranting online.

Somehow, I think they'll end the game with another cliffhanger. We don't really know anything about the blue, good Umbrella. Do we? That's something Capcom needs to expand upon.

After all these years of punching things, I am surprised arthritis hasn't set in for him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.