• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you think Resident Evil has gone downhill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
I do.

I hate the RE3 remake. I wish they hadn't moved towards action in 2005, because RE4 to me feels nothing like any game before it. And to that, I say it's overrated. Although I do really like Revelations 2 for some reason, Capcom has decided to focus on first person over the last few years.

Are you looking forward to the new film, new game, and the two Netflix series, one of which is a canonical CGI series?

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
Yes, but not because of RE4. I love RE4. It's the perfect mash between horror and action. My only issue with RE4 is the inverted directional control. It went downhill after that, not because of RE4's transfer into action, its because Capcom rushed RE5 out. Same for RE6. The thing about RE4, is that it still maintains the horror through the music and atmosphere. RE4 had a great atmosphere despite the change in enemies, and the direction into action - RE5 went over-the-top, like they did in RE3 - keep in mind - RE3 was using the RE2 engine. In RE6, they tried to improve the horror theme, but still another rushed RE title. They did a better job with RE7, another gameplay switch, but they went all in with the horror theme. RE8 looks to be like a mix between RE4's action/horror theme, with RE7's first person perspective. Looking forward to it, especially if RE2 Remake is anything to go by. Yes, I like the RE2 Remake, too.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Reaction score
It's been on a downward journey starting with 4. Thankfully Capcom have been trying to right the ship with 7 which while heavily flawed, earned a lot of my goodwill back. The recent Remakes I enjoyed though would I have greatly preferred a new game instead. Here's hoping when they do eventually get around to RE8 it'll have learned a lot from 7 and carried on the spirit of horror.

The movie/Netflix adaptations or whatever I have zero interest in.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Reaction score
No i don't think so, Capcom only missed the mark whit the mediocre re 6 and the just decent re 3 remake, the rest were all good game and some are also masterpiece like re 1, 2, code veronica and 4... Re 5 was also good, the only things I hate is the fact they decided to change the game after almost 3 years of development, making it a co op game

Morgan

Premium
Reaction score
Eh, it's middle of the road for me. R3make was an absolute downgrade in comparison to RE2R, but the other mainlines are Okay. The spinoffs like
Revelations are nice but, no clue where they're going with the Alex Wesker subplot given the mainline is pivoted away from that. At least 8 gave Chris his design back. :LOL:

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
I've noticed that Capcom copies a fair amount of games. Granted, everybody has probably copied somebody else's **** at some point. Therefore, it ain't just Capcom.

Here's some stuff I noticed they ripped off, or borrowed from. Depending on your take.

The Last of Us was awarded Game of the Year in 2014. Right? So what did Capcom do? They copied that style, for Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

Same work bench. Same kind of enemies. The Afflicted are like the Stalkers. Also, the Vulbanblubber which has the ability to launch huge fireballs, seems to be copying the Bloater, which instead can fire spores. There's also a similar boss fight in a room, with shelves. Also, there's a part where you hunt animals in the winter, for food, and the thing with you being able to see through walls was too similar too. The crafting system also seemed quite similar as well. Barry seemed a lot like Joel, while Natalia was like Ellie, even though Barry was trying to find his daughter, Moira, and Claire.

With 7: Biohazard, they copied The Ring, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Trancers, Evil Dead, and Saw.

There exists a degree of speculation that they also copied P.T. as well for 7: Biohazard, but supposedly, the game began development before Silent Hills did. It does seem suspicious, though.

By the way, I've never played a Gears of War game. I did a search of images of the game, and I found one straight off the bat that caught my attention. There's a town that looks exactly like the one in Resident Evil 6 where the big ogre looking thing attacks Chris and his squadron...

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Reaction score
Eh, it's middle of the road for me. R3make was an absolute downgrade in comparison to RE2R, but the other mainlines are Okay. The spinoffs like
Revelations are nice but, no clue where they're going with the Alex Wesker subplot given the mainline is pivoted away from that. At least 8 gave Chris his design back. :LOL:
It's pretty much confirmed that Alex wesker will be the main villain in resident evil 8

Goldsickle

Reaction score
Resident Evil has always been an experimental series since day 1, with no real law, rules nor commandment for what makes a Resident Evil game.
If it exists, only the creators know about it and they can change it as they please.

Anytime you hear about "the identity of the Resident Evil franchise", it's usually made up rules by people who have never developed a single game in their life.
It's always the same case of someone making up their own rules of "true Resident Evil" in their heads and then expect Capcom Japan to religiously obey these rules, oblivious to the fact that the Capcom staff has their own idea about what makes a Resident Evil game.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
Resident Evil has always been an experimental series since day 1, with no real law, rules nor commandment for what makes a Resident Evil game.
If it exists, only the creators know about it and they can change it as they please.

Anytime you hear about "the identity of the Resident Evil franchise", it's usually made up rules by people who have never developed a single game in their life.
It's always the same case of someone making up their own rules of "true Resident Evil" in their heads and then expect Capcom Japan to religiously obey these rules, oblivious to the fact that the Capcom staff has their own idea about what makes a Resident Evil game.
I never had a problem with this "philosophy." In fact, I would prefer they deviviate from from the "standard" of Resident Evil, like they did with the spin-offs, and sequels like RE4. My real issue is that they sometimes rush games out [RE5/6], and tarnish the reputation of the series. We just want a good horror game from Capcom.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Reaction score
I don't like RE7 (Evil Within 2 feels like a better RE sequel compared to 7), but Capcom managed to turn it around because of that games sales and focus on the horror. I think RE2RMK and RE3RMK are better games, though RE3RMK lacks any bonuses. While RE8 looks more interesting, because of the enemy variety, I still do not care much for Ethan, and it's clear they do not know what to do with Chris. I also prefer 3rd person, but if they make Ethan actually move like a normal person and give him a run, I might consider playing the game.

Last edited:

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
Well, I watched The Darkside Chronicles on YouTube. It seems to me that these arcade style iterations were Capcom's first attempt at remaking the original games, in the format of bland, co-op based, on-rails shooters. After all, shooters are basically what the normies have grown to love.

While the original material was great (Leon teaming up with his future enemy, Krauser, was cool), the remake parts were kind of silly. Like, they are absolutely off the scale crazy. Actually!

Leon and Claire did not stick together in the original. The same with Chris and Jill, or Claire and Steve. Although as a different take on things, they are okay, I suppose.

Some parts were really quite daft to me though, like seeing Mr. X bothered by being hit with Ada's lipstick launcher, shaking your controller to fight off piranha that spring out of the water at you, and the crazy carousel boss fight with Alfred, just to name a few wondrous moments. But like I said, the midquel type parts are very informative. They actually feel like they add a lot to the general mythology. Although the rest of the games was just a funny parody, really.

One disappointing aspect to the RE2 remake (among countless other examples) was that there was no mentioning of Chris Redfield's diary. Like, just what was the point in omitting that from the plot? In my opinion, that was a very important scene in the original that helped to develop the story for future titles. Why the heck was that completely left out?

Now, I get that remakes are allowed to change up stuff, to suit a newer direction. But they botched so much by taking out tons of the original source material, including locations, items, and creatures. Shame on you, Capcom.

As for fanboys: I post on a forum called Biohaze. It's not all that active these days, and I won't make this user's name known, but man. There is this one person who does nothing but rant about the lineage of the series through posting long winded tangents. Every single day, it's another post about the history of (insert person's name, or whatever). Which I guess is fine. People like what they like, so it's subjective. Right? But I don't play games for to delve into all of that hooey. What I do do, is I play them to experience tension and to feel a huge sense of inner dread, of which a lot of the newer games are severely lacking in.

Maybe I just like the originals too much, but none of the recent RE games can compare to how the first four games felt, or the GameCube remake and its prequel either. But Capcom really has been half-assing a lot of their games for the longest time. Well, I don't want to say people are essentially making excuses for, or shilling for Capcom, because people can play whatever they want. But I think it's sad how some people out there just prefer that they "go with the flow" and that's really all there is to it. Like, if they made a RE golf game next, people would still go out and buy it. Because it's still something RE related, of course.

I am kidding. That sounds like fun. Imagine instead of Nemesis screaming out his iconic "STARS" line, Nemesis goes "FORE" like he has a bad case of indigestion, whenever he strikes a ball with his tentacle.

To me, RE got spoiled beyond all repair with uh, the one game that people pretty much always praise: Namely RE4. Once you could slay 4786 people in a row that then rewards you with $9732 for doing so, and a lot of bullets and whatever else lands on the ground, it just didn't feel like the traditional RE style mattered anymore. Even zombies in the old RE games never really dropped items for you to pick up afterwards. Save for one very dead Brad Vickers beneath the police precinct, none of the other zombies provide you with a darn thing.

Anyway... I am dying to know why Chris is acting all "evil" now. This stupid theory about how 'Chris has a clone' now trash that Game Rant typically reports on for to gain clicks, is honestly rather amusing to read. It's all nonsense, I know. But it's still kind of funny to read about this stuff.

Chris has business to take care of, and he's gonna see it through. That makes him a focused veteran. NOT a bad guy! :)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Reaction score
As someone who always felt way more dread from the controls of the originals rather than the games themselves, I can't but answer no.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
This is why I don't use phones much for forums.

I just wrote a long reply, which was seconds away from being posted, but something screwed up.

And no; I couldn't copy the bloody text as I was pasting YouTube videos to add to the message. So meh.

You must be registered to view media

Goldsickle

Reaction score
My real issue is that they sometimes rush games out [RE5/6], and tarnish the reputation of the series.
What did RE5 & RE6 did that "tarnished the reputation of the series"?

it just didn't feel like the traditional RE style mattered anymore. Even zombies in the old RE games never really dropped items for you to pick up afterwards.
The "traditional style" was more of a forced direction for the development team, due to technical limitations.
They stuck with it a bit even when moving on to the next generation but RE4 was when they decided to cast off their limitations and start doing something else.
Hiroyuki Kobayashi has been with the RE team from the beginning and called the old style "stuck in a cookie cutter mold" and "shackles" holding them down that needed to be cast off.

There was never any "law of RE" that states enemies can't have loot upon defeat.
As I said in an earlier reply, those are rules made up by fanboys and have nothing to do with what Capcom does.
Even RE2 & RE3 had loot/drops via Mr. X & Nemesis.
So adding ammo drops in RE4 shouldn't have been mind-blowing.

What's wrong with item drops again?

I just wrote a long reply,
The video posted is either so wrong, so biased or so nitpicky.
Of course the poster also had to hide the Like/Dislike indicator to not let others know a lot of people disliked the video.

thesaunderschild

Reaction score
It depends what enemy it is. Nemesis has a jacket on. So that's why both he and Mr. X yield certain collectibles, mate.

Goldsickle

Reaction score
So that's why both he and Mr. X yield certain collectibles, mate.
The developers never bothered to give a "plausible" explanation.
In an interview with Hideki Kamiya (director) and Noburu Sugimura (writer), it was mentioned that Mr. X drops ammo to make it easier for the players, since it was their intention to make RE2 "beginner-friendly".

So Mr. X dropping ammo is strictly gameplay mechanic.
If you're okay with Mr. X dropping ammo even if there's no plausible explanation with it, then there shouldn't be any problems with ammo/item drops in other RE titles.

Goldsickle

Reaction score
I never said I liked that idea in general.
Whether you liked it or not, you did try to justify it by claiming that there's a plausible reason (big coats = yields collectibles).
Just pointing out that from the developer's end, Mr. X's item drop was strictly gameplay.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Reaction score
Twitter
CarlosX360
What did RE5 & RE6 did that "tarnished the reputation of the series"?

The "traditional style" was more of a forced direction for the development team, due to technical limitations.
They stuck with it a bit even when moving on to the next generation but RE4 was when they decided to cast off their limitations and start doing something else.
Hiroyuki Kobayashi has been with the RE team from the beginning and called the old style "stuck in a cookie cutter mold" and "shackles" holding them down that needed to be cast off.

There was never any "law of RE" that states enemies can't have loot upon defeat.
As I said in an earlier reply, those are rules made up by fanboys and have nothing to do with what Capcom does.
Even RE2 & RE3 had loot/drops via Mr. X & Nemesis.
So adding ammo drops in RE4 shouldn't have been mind-blowing.

What's wrong with item drops again?

The video posted is either so wrong, so biased or so nitpicky.
Of course the poster also had to hide the Like/Dislike indicator to not let others know a lot of people disliked the video.
Did you forget that people generally did not like RE5/RE6? I played RE6, but I never got the chance to play RE5. I remember people criticizing RE5 because of the framerates dropping, and that co-op. There are other things I'm forgetting, but it didn't sell well. It was released close enough to Lost Planet. I liked Lost Planet, but I never got around to playing it. Lost Planet 2 was universally trashed at launch though but for a different reason: Those save points. It's too far from each other.

Resident Evil 6, I rented and finished. Did. Not. Like. It. I dunno, just felt off. And it was short, too. RE6 sold at least even with RE5, whereas RE7 surprised everyone and sold more than the last 2 mainline RE games.

Goldsickle

Reaction score
Did you forget that people generally did not like RE5/RE6?
I remember a loud minority that didn't like them and they're not representative of the general audience.
Not only these games were among Capcom's best sellers, they also have an overall positive reception.
Anytime someone wants to show me "everybody hates RE6", they always show me Metacritic user scores made by people who only log in once to dislike the game on both PS3 & X360, even though they might not have owned/played these games.
And then log off forever ("last sign in: 2012").

RE6 isn't perfect but the hatred towards it was so blinding that haters resorted to fake stories in order to justify their rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.