• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil Won't Cry: Ninja Theory receives death threats over DmC

Steve

Cheeky Wee McGregor
Admin
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Twitter
yeahSP
As many of you will already know, there has been some escalation in the way some fans have treated Ninja Theory and co-founder/chief designer Tameem Antoniades over the upcoming DmC game. Originally by our very own regular forum member , it would appear that there are certain fans across the internets that bare some serious problems regarding the new direction for Dante and the reboot of Devil May Cry as a whole.

An article by discusses how the hating has gone from just splurging diatribes all over the internet to actually making death threats against Ninja Theory and its team. Tameem, in response, has stated that the studio was not caught completely unawares by this progression of ire from fans as he was warned about the possible backlash beforehand.

“Alex Garland warned me about it because he experienced a similar thing with 28 Days Later where people were upset that it didn’t feature real zombies. And now with his upcoming Dredd movie. So I was half prepared for it, although I have to say that it has been pretty eye opening to see some of the creative ways in which people have chosen to vent their hatred. We didn’t expect death threats in comic book form or anti-DmC death metal songs!”

A pretty calm response considering some of the vitriol spewed in Ninja Theory’s direction since DmC was announced in 2010 and the company’s Alex Jones is keeping a positive outlook despite the backlash.

“It’s pretty hard for me to back the decisions we made without showing actual gameplay to the public. So until that time comes, and it will come soon, I just have to put up with the rage. Though I must say, lots of people have come and said that they are now interested in DmC whereas they had previously lost interest in the series. We’ll see how this plays out.”

You must be registered to view image attachments

Tameem continues the interview by stating that Ninja Theory and Capcom are keeping as “close to the original Devil May Cry spirit where it really counts”, adding that while they understand there is a certain expectation from the fans, DmC is a re-birth and with that comes innovation, change and various inclusions to ensure that new fans don’t feel completely lost when they play the game, having not played any other Devil May Cry titles before.