Could this have worked?

V's patron

I have no name for I am but 2 days old ;).
Ironically NT should have used his Tony Redgrave phase- where he was an amnesiac mercenary and build out from there. Fans have written fanfiction where Dante has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and Tony is one of his alters so that could have been interesting.

Just a thought.... @DragonMaster2010 @absolitude @Ash

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ironically NT should have used his Tony Redgrave phase- where he was an amnesiac mercenary and build out from there. Fans have written fanfiction where Dante has DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) and Tony is one of his alters so that could have been interesting.

Just a thought.... @DragonMaster2010 @absolitude @Ash
The problem with that is it's STILL associated with Dante's character, and fans get real bitchy when Dante is besmirched in any way. Ironic considering he got majorly besmirched from the anime onward as a lazy, beta-male dude who gets constantly bullied by women and is always broke.

V's patron

The problem with that is it's STILL associated with Dante's character, and fans get real bitchy when Dante is besmirched in any way. Ironic considering he got majorly besmirched from the anime onward as a lazy, beta-male dude who gets constantly bullied by women and is always broke.
True but the Tony Redgrave stuff was canon so it could be used as a buffer.

Ya know "DmC is different but we do know where we've been".

DmC didn't really have that to me. Or Nt/Capcom wasn't good at showing that.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
wasn't it initially meant as sumthin like that? the amnesiac and disorder part i meant.. honestly i know nothing bout the whole Tony Redgrave thing

like that was a whole different character than the one we got.. i think it could work better

V's patron

wasn't it initially meant as sumthin like that? the amnesiac and disorder part i meant.. honestly i know nothing bout the whole Tony Redgrave thing

like that was a whole different character than the one we got.. i think it could work better
TGS10 Dante looked like he suffered from PTSD but that's just a guess.

Tony Redgrave was Dante's initial concept when DMC1 was originally a Resident Evil game. He was a cop that was a Umbrella expirement or something like it.

The name was reused as an alias for Dante.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
huh, didn't know bout that 'connection' to resident evil, thought it was just an alias.

anyway, i truly believe it would be better received with that. that idea and the trailer would connect imo, wether PTSD or DID, he did looked lost there.

i personally dig the mental issue, probably fits the kinda serious theme like NT did with enslaved and hellblade. pretty sure NT could pull it.

and making a more serious/contrast take from a light hearted something is much more acceptable than the other way around. and much more acceptable than doing a 'different' take but half-assed cuz the company don't have the guts to let the studio do their own thing

V's patron

huh, didn't know bout that 'connection' to resident evil, thought it was just an alias.

anyway, i truly believe it would be better received with that. that idea and the trailer would connect imo, wether PTSD or DID, he did looked lost there.

i personally dig the mental issue, probably fits the kinda serious theme like NT did with enslaved and hellblade. pretty sure NT could pull it.

and making a more serious/contrast take from a light hearted something is much more acceptable than the other way around. and much more acceptable than doing a 'different' take but half-assed cuz the company don't have the guts to let the studio do their own thing
Maybe you could pull some of that back in for your sequel?

Ironically the whole V is Vergil's humanity twist from 5 made me think DmC Dante could have worked better if they stuck with it or thought it through more.

Granted maybe giving Dante a mental illness could be considered tackless?

Carlos

A powerful demon
Twitter
CarlosX360

I think that's where TGS10 trailer was going... You can see it in the current iteration of DmC: Devil May Cry (original and SE), where there are times you're like confused as to what's real, and what's not, but instead of treating it as like PSTD, or a disorder like the OP's idea of DID. Dante in DmC - he's a different person, and Vergil acts like a different person. I don't know, something about their character seems off. Don't get me wrong, I like Dante in DmC, but even then, their tones seem a little out there, if you know what I mean. So, yeah, it kinda did work. The script of DmC, from my observation didn't really change, it's the graphics that changed. What you're seeing is the original script, minus the prison ideology.

The soda drink in DmC is also a clue; it's the game's drug. So, if anyone drinks the soda, you become stupid - a zombie. Dante even noticed it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I don't think it could have worked personally, but that is just me. I know some people were hoping for a Tony Regrave game where Dante was in that persona, but it was jossed by Capcom and NT. Me personally, they should have done a legit DMC spin off with either Nero or completely different group of Devil Hunters with occasional allusions or mentions of Dante in the background.

Last edited:

V's patron

@BrawlMan
No worries bro, it's all hypothetical anyway. I agree with your suggestion tho, a spinoff with a different lead would've ideal. I'd prefer Lady get one over Nero because you could switch genres more easily.

She could do stealth, horror, third-person shooter as well as an open world and it wouldn't be jarring.

Someone completely new would have been interesting. Plus if they don't work you could just never use them again ;).