• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

An update for the upcoming DMC animated series

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Jan 19, 2013
“I’m drawn to anti-heroes with a strong point-of-view."

Sephiroth is a straight-up villain, not even an anti-hero. There's nothing heroic about slaughtering a village then planning to absorb an entire planet's life force to become a god and do the same to other planets, leaving them barren husks.
This is the guy in charge of the anime? He didn't even pay attention to the game he supposedly likes.

“The characters in DMC have an operatic depth” is the new "Shakespearean".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Nov 1, 2018
I’m drawn to anti-heroes with a strong point-of-view."

Sephiroth is a straight-up villain, not even an anti-hero. There's nothing heroic about slaughtering a village then planning to absorb an entire planet's life force to become a god and do the same to other planets, leaving them barren husks.
This is the guy in charge of the anime? He didn't even pay attention to the game he supposedly likes.
There are people who consider Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger "anti-heroes". Figure that one out.

The problem is that term has been used too loosely or by people that think they know what anti-hero means, but clearly do not. It's definitely become a problem with anime creators; especially on the shonen side.

Reactions: V's patron

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sep 14, 2010
NY,Ny
It's a bummer Warren Ellis isn't attached to this project. I was a big fan of his comic book work so I was curious what his take on DMC would've been. If you were a fan of a darker DMC like @Black Angel, he would've been your guy.

He'd be better off with Ninja Gaiden.

Oh well...hopefully the actual writer is pretty good.

I'd say Sephiroth is a tragic villian than an actual antihero. He's like Darth Maul from Star Wars. Both characters were doomed from the start. So was Vader but he's explored more thoroughly than either character.

You could make the argument that the DMC crew are antiheroes but they are closer to the Type 1. Tvtropes.org defines that as the Disney level which is a decent person who has some flaws like Nero, Lucia and Lady. Dante and Trish are between 1 and 3 but that's because of their implied pasts. Dante was a mercenary under Kamiya and Trish worked for Mundus. Both periods are unexplored and maybe not as bad as I imagined.

Vergil is between level 4 and 5. Capcom tries to give him more nuance but he just comes across as a One Piece villian. 5's end just felt rushed and unearned so I'm hoping Shankar and his team have more success.

I also wouldn't mind if they explore Dante's mercenary past. That is a gold mine and I can't believe both the anime and the reboot ignored it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Nov 1, 2018
Vergil is between level 4 and 5. Capcom tries to give him more nuance but he just comes across as a One Piece villian. 5's end just felt rushed and unearned so I'm hoping Shankar and his team have more success.
Vergil is not even a type 4 or 5 anti-hero, and is more of anti-villain of type 1 category. Even when you take the ending of 5 in to account. Vergil's got way more nuance than nearly any villain in One Piece. He's got more depth than Ada Wong, who Capcom tries to portay as a "bad-ass" anti-hero, when she is just another selfish-biatch who's past still remains a mystery, and not worth investing in. We still don't even know what shadowy agency she works for.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sep 14, 2010
NY,Ny
Vergil is not even a type 4 or 5 anti-hero, and is more of anti-villain of type 1 category. Even when you take the ending of 5 in to account. Vergil's got way more nuance than nearly any villain in One Piece. He's got more depth than Ada Wong, who Capcom tries to portay as a "bad-ass" anti-hero, when she is just another selfish-biatch who's past still remains a mystery, and not worth investing in. We still don't even know what shadowy agency she works for.
I disagree with you on all counts outside of the RE one. But that's more because I don't know enough about RE. Unless you want to hear why I prefer Jake to Nero than I'm your guy.

Vergil had the potential to be an interesting anti-villian but Capcom barely developed him till 5. They relied more on vague headcanon and fan bias than any legit characteristics. I don't give 4 any credit but Credo is the character people romanticize Vergil as.

5 relies too much on fans feeling sorry for his 8 year self without giving his adult self any nuanced moments. Before the game starts he crossed the line so many times I rather Dante tell Nero to f*** off and kill him.

To me, the ending doesn't hold up and I rather get a new cast or a new writer.

So I'm hoping this series handles these characters better.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Nov 1, 2018
Unless you want to hear why I prefer Jake to Nero than I'm your guy.
No thank you. I don't hate Jake, but I don't find him interesting.

Vergil had the potential to be an interesting anti-villian but Capcom barely developed him till 5. They relied more on vague headcanon and fan bias than any legit characteristics. 5 relies too much on fans feeling sorry for his 8 year self without giving his adult self any nuanced moments. Before the game starts he crossed the line so many times I rather Dante tell Nero to f*** off and kill him.
I disagree completely. They give you enough in 3 to know why he does things to gain more power. You're clearly not suppose to completely sympathize with him. Understand yes; agree with him, no. Whatever development (which the viewer gets plenty of) comes from his human side, V. The more empathetic and humble side by comparison to Urizen. V clearly showed regret when the split happened. The fact Vergil actually questioned himself at least somewhat with "If our positions were switched" speech shows something DMC3 Vergil would never do. That shows some development.

Ironic, how you feel about Vergil, is how I feel about Hao Asakura. Who is even worse than Vergil and is not even a demon. Hao is some dude with ghost powers called a shaman and wants to be Shaman King, because he lost his goddamn mommy. So he feels the need to kill all of normal humanity and the "weak" for crappy survival of the fittest mentality. Jack ass is just a Sephiroth knock-off with out the science fiction elements..
I rather get a new cast or a new writer.
I have no problem with a complete new cast of characters, and hope we get some new playable hunters aside from Nero. Also, give the man some new swords or melee weapons too.

So I'm hoping this series handles these characters better.
I don't think the series can do better than 3 at least. It might handle how Trish or Lucia better, but we will wait and see. I know this upcoming series can't be worse than the DMC anime. F#ck that tedious series and Patty can f#ck off extra hard. As long as she is not in the new series, I already can consider that a positive.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sep 14, 2010
NY,Ny
@BrawlMan
I like 3 but it's not the best origin. There's more they could show/explore about these characters especially Lady. Plus I think actually showing how Vergil and Dante fell out in the first place would help. The manga prequel doesn't do that either.

To me DMC3 feels like season 7 of Smallville. That's when Lex and Clark already gave up on their friendship and started fighting each other. It's not an exact one to one but it's how I saw it.

I don't mind V but I would've preferred Vergil there. V is just a good character concept wasted on some poorly thought out KH bs. I rather he and Nero switch places.

V is more convincing as his own man than Nero was and i thought he brought more to the table. Nero is a dud to me and I rather just cut him from the franchise. Maybe Shankar can change my mind on that but I'm not in a rush to see him pop up anytime soon.

I don't mind having Vergil turned human and forced to work with the others. Everyone takes V at face value but forcing Vergil to work hard at keeping his secrets would be more interesting. Plus they could confront on his past actions etc. That forces him to defend himself or admit his wrongdoings.

I still prefer 5 to 4 but it had its own failings.

Honestly I don't like Patty but she's easy to fix. You give her powers so Dante has a more pragmatic reason to keep her around. But I'm more interested in her mom so I rather use her instead.

Morrison is kinda bland and I prefer Enzo but you could use them both.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Nov 1, 2018
I like 3 but it's not the best origin.
It is for me. The game could have worked with or without flashback's to their childhood and later falling out, and I would have been fine either way.
Plus I think actually showing how Vergil and Dante fell out in the first place would help. The manga prequel doesn't do that either.

The anime could have done this too, but failed on so many levels. I will give the new series credit, if it does this right.

To me DMC3 feels like season 7 of Smallville. That's when Lex and Clark already gave up on their friendship and started fighting each other. It's not an exact one to one but it's how I saw it.
I wouldn't know, because I rarely ever watched Smallville.