• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your views, beliefs, disappointments, reasons, etc.

Agility

"Known"
Yea! I made a thread for us to all share why we like (or love) Devil May Cry. The actual reason we keep playing and other things we didn't like. Think of this as getting to know what kind of gamer you are on this forum with.

I asked myself some questions along the way down the Devil May Cry timeline and I came to the conclusion that...

It's not the character, it's the reason.

So in other words I'd take any other protagonist and any action cutscenes they have as long as they don't take away what makes the game.

You have a sense of "If I don't who will?" in this game. A feeling that I love having in reality. When a game does it, it's usually to save something by killing something. Honestly, I feel I need a break from killing other "humans" whom the game says is bad because they are said to do something bad. Whatever, when it comes to human beings doing bad things I say lock them up, we're not executioners, we weren't made that way.

Moving on. In Devil May Cry (DmC), you are a human with heavenly/demonic powers (awesome). You do not kill humans because of the evil that they've done, you kill them because they are the evil that people do. Erm, let me put that another way. You kill what makes human beings do the evil that they do. You are actually stopping evil at the source.

When DmC was announced and they began to speak on what it'd be like in a realistic manner. I got happier, like actually happier than I already was. They morphed the cartoony atmosphere of Devil May Cry 3-4 into a more realistic atmosphere of Devil May Cry 1-2. In the previous Devil May Cry, let's go with 3, not one time did I feel anything for any of the characters (except for when Vergil fought Mundus and I knew his fate.) I just kept thinking during cutscenes, yeah yeah, put me back into the action and stop showing me stuff that I can't do. I personally hate that mindset.

The character Dante was someone I couldn't relate to even at my young age 16 (DMC 3). He ate pizza (cool), he lived alone (cool), he said the things that no one would say (umm not so cool), and he dressed like...no just no. I kept thinking while playing "I'm not a sweaty guy in a trench coat, I'm not a sweaty guy in a trench coat." The deal with Dante is that he seemed like a bum, Hell, he is a bum. I never asked a woman for a loan nor did I work hard and not have anything to show for it. All I could say about Dante is that he's a good guy only because he kills evil. Peter Parker (yes Spiderman) was trying to hold his own against the stressors of life while making time as Spiderman. Dante can easily go out into the public eye (he does) and make alot of cash with demon hunting being his secret passion.

So I always asked "Why the Hell is he always broke?" and guess what I came up with? "He's lazy!" I made Dante a prime example of what I DONT want to be. Even used him as an example during video game discussions (like this one :D). So no, it's not the character.

When I got familiarized with Ninja Gaiden, (didn't enjoy killing humans but whatever I was a ninja, I expected that.) Devil May Cry became an "eh" game. The mentality of "I'll play it because I don't have anything else like it to play until Ninja Gaiden 2 or something else." Then I was introduced to Nero. Holy crap, they made a Dante clone that has everything I can relate to AND I get to kick Dante's lazy ass!? Hell yeah! And then...*lays head on desktop* The...the box doesn't say that...halfway through I'd have to play as this bum again! With the same fing moves!! Every trailer promised a better Dante, I mean Nero, the trailers promised Nero. Why...did I think that would be true?

I was expecting to play as Dante after the game had ended. But no, it's as if a bunch of negative feedback got to Capcom and they forced Dante into DMC 4's story. NO! I actually put the controller down, went into the kitchen, got a glass of water, came back to the tv, and just shook my head at the glowing mission start. At that time the "Accept" button didn't exist. I was literally stuck for 30 seconds, drinking my water, and trying to find an logical answer for this. I couldn't I went outside and did homework with my ex gf. Now, when you stop playing an entertaining game and force yourself to do something you think is less fun, then that product failed that customer.

Next thing I know, Devil May Cry wasn't even on Capcom's TO DO list and I...I didn't give a damn. Then they rebooted and said (to me) "Hey...umm sorry about Dante. We'll fix him." Gave me this tormented demon killer who actually provides for himself! Even gave us a reason as to why he isn't in a mansion with the extraordinary things he can do. So yeah, I'm really psyched about this game and I won't even have time to play like when I was a teen.

Phew, alright, who wants to share theirs? I'm willing to read without commenting back to be a jerk.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
No need to share. You've pretty much takin' the words right out of my mouth. I glad someone else here feels exactly how I feel about DMC3-4. They were not the best Dante's in my opinion.

Top Bottom