• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What made Vergil be the way that he was?

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
That I do too, don't worry.:p After all, over-analyzing things is just too interesting with Vergil and that attidute of his, never letting anything slip...

Vergillicious

You will not forget this devil's power!
Yes, he is like a very complicated puzzle that will most likely never be solved :D but yet it's a challenge that I want to keep trying even though there is no end.

LysseC

I'm starting to think he might be analyzed by contradictions that probably stem from Eva's death.
For example, he loved his mother, but he started to hate humanity because he thinks them weak. Or, he wants to act like a statue of ice and so he tries to control his emotions, but in the end he fails, and then we have his worst outbursts... Like the "Why isn't this working?!?!?" one.
And I think that he loves his brother too, but in his own contradictory way: (and here I truly am over-analyzing) when he asks Dante "Why do you refuse to gain power?", it had always seemed to me that he was somehow giving his piece of advice to him, well, in his own very-Vergil way at least... (where "very-Vergil way stands for "katana-stabbing"...)

Vergillicious

I agree. The death of his mother and Vergil's reactions spreading like a raging wild fire, makes things rather interesting analyzing a his emotions..but there was just so much that will remain a mystery with Vergil. And felt like his character was very short lived. When I think of him as gone..or dead. I feel that he's not alone anymore..and he doesn't have to be so hurt. Even though he seemed bad, his intentions weren't good but he wasn't really that bad either. He still had a heart and in the end I think he started to show his true self..having that heart to heart confrontation with Dante. It seriously was a rather touching and saddening moment.

Vergillicious

Have you heard of Virgil the poet? I was told that there was a tree and the last leaf that had fallen represented Virgil's death him being the 32 leaf. I wonder if that has anything to do with Vergil in anyway..

LysseC

Yes, he's not the simply "want to own the world" villain... If our interpretations are correct, his motives could be understandable, even if the consequences of his actions would have been dangerous for humans.
And when he says "Leave me and go, if you don't want to be trapped in the demon world", it seems that he does care for him.
I really hate the fact that with DMC1 he's probably died... So, I'll just console myself by thinking (as many fanfiction writers do...) that he is just being held prisoner by Mundus, and he could find a way to escape someday, and meet his brother again.

LysseC

Have you heard of Virgil the poet? I was told that there was a tree and the last leaf that had fallen represented Virgil's death him being the 32 leaf. I wonder if that has anything to do with Vergil in anyway..
Never heard of that story before... But I've studied his works at school, and I loved them! Now you got me interested, I'll do some research about this story!^_^

seraphmaycry

I wonder...... what if vergil wants the power for somone or something else? or mabye this ties into the nero is vergil's son thing apparently it's official now. vergil would have had to be eleven when nero was born if we look at the mess of a timeline what if he wanted the power to transfer it to someone else so id he died he would still live on. people have been trying to do for years with all kinds of religious ceremony's and vergil does seem to worship sparda..... so mabye nero nero inherited traits from sparda or vergil himself making him his son(partly, but still for them to get away with). IDK this seems like a bad theory but im sticking to it

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Still, all of the Sparda references wouldn't make any sense. Berial saying Nero's ''just like he (Sparda) was'', Nero wearing red and blue instead of just blue, or blue and black or something. Nero wielding the Red Queen and the Blue Rose. Nero being able to restore the Yamato, which was originally Sparda's sword. Maybe even Vergil wouldn't be able to restore it - of course, I don't know for sure.
Then there's Nero's Devil Trigger, which seems weaker, as it's not a full DT. It would make sense if Vergil had a son with a human, but that would be very odd since he doesn't want anything to do with humans. Nor would he want his son to go through the pain of being mostly human. Not to mention that the timeline doesn't fit. Let's say Vergil somehow had a son when he was twenty (after he attacked Mundus). That would mean Dante and Vergil would have to be around forty years old, not thirty like Capcom said.

On the other hand, I do feel like Vergil wanted something to protect. I mean, why would he want power otherwise? Yeah, he wants to rule over the demon world as well as the human world, I think, but is that all? I can imagine he'd want to keep the Sparda bloodline going, as Dante doesn't seem interested in that at all. I guess it would at least bring honor to him in case he didn't escape from hell.

Maybe it's no use speculating, because I doubt Capcom or anyone else will continue the DMC4 story.

Oh, I've got a question: what ever happened to Sparda? Is he really dead, or was his power sealed in the underworld again or something? I can't quite remember what happened.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i have my own theories on this:

When Eva was attacked and killed by demons Vergil and Dante blamed themselves. hating themselves for not being able to protect the one they loved the most and a break is formed. Dante chose to accept it as the tragedy it was and just try to move on. Vergil on the other hand was struck much deeper than Dante unable to accept it. the problem being that if his father Sparda was here she would be fine, because Sparda was strong and because of that Sparda was happy. this link between power and happiness and desire to be like his father forms in his head and will serve to dictate the rest of his l

now in DMC3 Dante remarks its "been a year" since they last saw eachother. im going out on a limb here; im a firm believer that Vergil is Neros father. being a teen parent and all. i mean look at him he must be beating back the ladies like there is no tommorow. anyways he has a girlfriend/wife and a child. he is by all extentions a very happy guy. now one day hes out of town, maybe helping Dante on a job, maybe hes out shopping. anyway, hes out and demons attack his home killing his love and burning the house down. Nero survives but is taken by knights of the order when they see his power.
Vergil is striken by grief when he sees this, pure rage and anger races through him. he failed once again to protect the ones he loved the most. his father didnt have this problem, because he was strong and Vergil was weak. its his fault for being weak. Sparda was strong because he was a full demon, Vergil is only half so he does his best to destroy his humanity as much as possible by supressing all emotion he becomes cold and embraces the darkeness within him with the hope of purging the humanity from him. but it isnt enough, if he wants to be more than the SON of sparda he must weild spardas power. the ultimate power. this leads him to the events of DMC3

TheOneGirl

Ever since Vergil lost his mother, he felt as if it was all his fault for loosing her. So Vergil wants to surpass his father so he can protect others, become a god like his father, and rule...It doesn't explain in DMC3 about how he became that way but Im sure you can figure out clues of what he is saying while talking to Dante at their first battle.

TheOneGirl

i have my own theories on this:

When Eva was attacked and killed by demons Vergil and Dante blamed themselves. hating themselves for not being able to protect the one they loved the most and a break is formed. Dante chose to accept it as the tragedy it was and just try to move on. Vergil on the other hand was struck much deeper than Dante unable to accept it. the problem being that if his father Sparda was here she would be fine, because Sparda was strong and because of that Sparda was happy. this link between power and happiness and desire to be like his father forms in his head and will serve to dictate the rest of his l

now in DMC3 Dante remarks its "been a year" since they last saw eachother. im going out on a limb here; im a firm believer that Vergil is Neros father. being a teen parent and all. i mean look at him he must be beating back the ladies like there is no tommorow. anyways he has a girlfriend/wife and a child. he is by all extentions a very happy guy. now one day hes out of town, maybe helping Dante on a job, maybe hes out shopping. anyway, hes out and demons attack his home killing his love and burning the house down. Nero survives but is taken by knights of the order when they see his power.
Vergil is striken by grief when he sees this, pure rage and anger races through him. he failed once again to protect the ones he loved the most. his father didnt have this problem, because he was strong and Vergil was weak. its his fault for being weak. Sparda was strong because he was a full demon, Vergil is only half so he does his best to destroy his humanity as much as possible by supressing all emotion he becomes cold and embraces the darkeness within him with the hope of purging the humanity from him. but it isnt enough, if he wants to be more than the SON of sparda he must weild spardas power. the ultimate power. this leads him to the events of DMC3

Vergil is NOT Neros father. Nero is close to Dante and Vergils age, and if Vergil is the father of Nero, that means Vergil was 12 years old when Nero was born.

LysseC

Ah, those plotholes....
Still, Vergil being the father is the option that makes more sense apart from the age problem...
Which could be fixed by adjusting Dante's age properly... Slips like this happen, from times to times, even in novels, and sometimes they are not corrected before the book is published, so I prefer to that this is a similar case...

Hellspawn

He's just a racist. That's all. Wanna know what happened to him? Try to find out, what happened to other racists in real world.

seraphmaycry

Ah, those plotholes....
Still, Vergil being the father is the option that makes more sense apart from the age problem...
Which could be fixed by adjusting Dante's age properly... Slips like this happen, from times to times, even in novels, and sometimes they are not corrected before the book is published, so I prefer to that this is a similar case...

oh oh oh fix it with time bubbles and other cliche ideas please please please capcom (sarcasm intended)

Top Bottom