• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was Bolverk really Odin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
UltDeadpool;15091 said:
I really like it when they derive things from actual mythology.

There's also:
"Nevan" is taken from Irish folklore.
"Griffon," not so hard to tell he's supposed to be a Griffin.
"Agni" is the Hindu deity of fire.
"Rudra" is the Hindu diety of wind.
"Arachne" in Greek mythology is a woman who was turned into the first spider.
"Fallen" are fallen Angels, of course.
"Alastor" is the chief executioner of hell.
"Ifrit" is the name of a race of fire Genies.
"Beelzebub" is a fallen angel, who's as powerful as Satan.
"Kyklops" is another spelling for "Cyclops," a race of one-eyed giants.
"Sargasso" is taken from the "Sargasso sea" which is said to be haunted.
"Leviathan" is a gargantuan sea-serpent from the bible.
"Dullahan" is the headless horsemen, which inspired "Sleepy Hollow."

I think that's all of them.

You're almost right but beelzebub IS Satan
and leviathan can be any gigantic marine creature.
It's a good technique, not that many of the characters resemble their folklore counterparts. I'd like to see a gorgan in DMC that fire stonefying orbs from their eyes. Now there's a thought. BTW I am fully aware that stonefying isn't a real word.

Dark Elf

Dagger user
btw, in Final Fantasy, Leviathan was a snake with whiskers (?!) and in some other games Leviathan was presented as a snake too. So sorry, but I doubt about the fact Leviathan can be called any marine creature

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
The Phantarch;15261 said:
You're almost right but beelzebub IS Satan.
and leviathan can be any gigantic marine creature.
The idea of Satan and Beelzebub being one in the same is a misconception. Beelzebub was a god of Ekron, but the worshippers of God demonized him and considered him an adversary of God, comparable to Satan. So it could be contested if Beelzebub is really a fallen angel, or a mythological god.
In the bible, Satan was trying to tempt Jesus on a hill and claimed that if Jesus bowed to Satan, that he'd make Jesus king of all he saw, and as high as Beelzebub. Satan also refered to Beelzebub as "an old god." For those that want to know... Jesus did not bow.

Leviathan's description in the bible is pretty clear...
Isaiah 27:1: "In that day the Lord with his great and strong sword shall punish leviathan, that twisted serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea."

Dark Elf;15273 said:
in Final Fantasy, Leviathan was a snake with whiskers (?!)

I thought they looked like those things catfish have. http://www.hjo3.net/giant_catfish.jpg

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
UltDeadpool;15353 said:
The idea of Satan and Beelzebub being one in the same is a misconception. Beelzebub was a god of Ekron, but the worshippers of God demonized him and considered him an adversary of God, comparable to Satan. So it could be contested if Beelzebub is really a fallen angel, or a mythological god.
In the bible, Satan was trying to tempt Jesus on a hill and claimed that if Jesus bowed to Satan, that he'd make Jesus king of all he saw, and as high as Beelzebub. Satan also refered to Beelzebub as "an old God." For those that want to know... Jesus did not bow.

Leviathan's description in the bible is pretty clear...
Isaiah 27:1: "In that day the Lord with his great and strong sword shall punish leviathan, that twisted serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea."

I thought they looked like those things catfish have. http://www.hjo3.net/giant_catfish.jpg

I don't know the bible but I'm pretty sure when I typed in "Leviathan" it came up with something along the same lines of giant marine creature. Beelzebub in the biblical sense might have been a misconception on my behalf but if it's "a god" it's spelt with a small "g" rather than "God" which is either a name or an exclamation. I know enough about the bible however to know that it called him the "god" of the earth or something along those lines. In what mythology was Beelzebub an ancient god sorry, greek, roman,viking, what? :\
BTW I'm asking because i am genuinely interested.;)

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
I'll try to lay out all the information I gathered as simply as I can. I only hope that I'm 100% correct, because the information is a little jumbled.

Beelzebub was the Canaanite god of weather and fertility. He also gave his people oracles and dismissed flies from their harvests. But the story of Beelzebub is kinda interesting.
Umm... lets start with the word "Ba'al." Now Ba'al means "Lord," and can be used for gods and kings alike. Infact, this Ba'al inparticular is Hadad, but only priests were allowed to use the names of the gods, so everyone else were only allowed to call him "Ba'al." Because he was the son of the high god El, the non-priests often called Hadad "Ba'al Zebul," which means "Lord the Prince."
But the worshippers of God, whom the Jews call "Yahweh," started to demonize "Ba'al Zebul" and even came to slander his name, calling him "Ba'al Zebub," which means "Lord of the Flies."
But "Ba'al" can also be translated into "Beel" (which also means "lord"), So that's how we've come to know him as "Beelzebub."

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
UltDeadpool;15409 said:
I'll try to lay out all the information I gathered as simply as I can. I only hope that I'm 100% correct, because the information is a little jumbled.

Beelzebub was the Canaanite god of weather and fertility. He also gave his people oracles and dismissed flies from their harvests. But the story of Beelzebub is kinda interesting.
Umm... lets start with the word "Ba'al." Now Ba'al means "Lord," and can be used for gods and kings alike. Infact, this Ba'al inparticular is Hadad, but only priests were allowed to use the names of the gods, so everyone else were only allowed to call him "Ba'al." Because he was the son of the high god El, the non-priests often called Hadad "Ba'al Zebul," which means "Lord the Prince."
But the worshippers of God, whom the Jews call "Yahweh," started to demonize "Ba'al Zebul" and even came to slander his name, calling him "Ba'al Zebub," which means "Lord of the Flies."
But "Ba'al" can also be translated into "Beel" (which also means "lord"), So that's how we've come to know him as "Beelzebub."

But we also call the devil the lord of flies, how does that work? It's not "a" lord of flies it's "THE" lord of flies. I'm confused:\

UltDeadpool

Merc with a Mouth
Well if people think Beelzebub is another name for Satan, then I'd imagine people would call Satan the lord of flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom