• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Vergil Isn't Suitable For Crazy Combos"

Goldsickle

I remember bringing up about having Crazy Combos for Vergil way back during the days of DMC3: Special Edition but the response back then was how it's "out of character" or "not suitable for Vergil's play style" but fast-forward several years later, it's nice to see Vergil getting some rapid-hitting combos for the Special Edition of DMC4.

For added fun, I would tap both Gun and Sword buttons, so that Vergil slashes while shooting Summoned Swords at the same time.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think when they said it doesn't suit him they meant over the top looking moves like skating on enemies or using your sword as a pole. But since speed is Vergil's primary combat trait, I can't see how rapid looking combos are out of character in any way.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
I think you mistook "Crazy Combos" and "Combo Mad", dude. Crazy Combos refer to moves in which you quickly tap the same button in order to perform a new move, like Million Stab in Devil May Cry 3.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Yeah, what Foxy said, crazy combos refers to when Dante would go sliding around on an enemy's back, or using Rebellion as a poll and spinning around, kicking several enemies.
Those kinda things, don't really suit Vergil, high speed combos on the other hand, totally in-character.
@DragonMaster2010 Right? I got into an argument with this one guy, over Godzilla, and can't even remember what it was about now, but the guy, he was getting all his info, from a friend, who he claimed was a bigger fan then me, just on the basis that his friend spent hundreds of dollars in collectables.
Well excuse me for only being interested in movies and games. (Game for PS4, and 11 of the movies, including Legendary's version. I even have a copy of the first American movie, even though I don't really like it)

Goldsickle

One recurring mechanic of Crazy Combos is that the combo itself will only damage the enemy to 1 hit point left and it's the finishing blow that will kill the enemy.
This won't get you much points if the enemy is practically dead but it will help you raise the Style ranking, due to you continuously hitting the enemy even though it should have died.

The rapid slashes of Vergil's Yamato Combo C does this.
So despite what I said, it's actually not a good idea to spam Summoned Swords while this combo is in progress, since if you're doing it on a dying enemy, the swords may kill the enemy before the combo ends.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
Especially relevant with Vergil if you aim at a later-on combo based on a S-taunt. Dat Summoned Sword crushing.
(Makes me think, Vergil's Force Edge basic combo has a "true" Crazy Combo in it. Like you're doing a final strike similar to the end of Stinger's animation, yet if you're DAMN fast enough, it turns into a little Million Stab)

Gray Knight

Didn't nero have that point at the end of his red Queen Combo B where he just repeatedly smashed it against the floor if you mashed? Does that count as one?

I could honestly see Vergil doing some things like a Crazy Combo. With proper timing instead of having sword Storm have all the blades hit simultaneously as a crazy combo he could have the swords individually fire to juggle enemy briefly? It just has be be done well.

Goldsickle

The thing with Crazy Combos is that they started out as button-mash cancels.
Mash the button fast enough during a certain move and it transforms into something else.

They aren't limited to rapid-hitting melees but is also used for other types of attacks such as Satellite (where Cerberus spins around Dante just once) or Tempest (where you can't prolong the attack by mashing the button).

And even the guns in the game have Crazy Combo cancels, like how Ebony & Ivory cancels into a "grab" attack if you mash the button fast enough on a downed enemy or Acid Rain from Artemis.

Starting from DMC4, certain Crazy Combo moves such as Million Stab do not require button-mashing cancels.

Personally, multi/rapid-hitting moves that does not kill the enemy until the finishing blow is what I consider "Crazy Combo" from now on, since the format has changed.

EDIT:

Right after I post the above message, I remembered that Nero's Exceed-enhanced attacks also does not kill the enemy until the last hit.

If you have an enemy with 1 hit point left and you attack them Maximum Exceed versions of Streak, High Roller or Shuffle, it's the last hit that will finish off the enemy.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

What I meant was, I didn't know the difference between DMC3 and 4 crazy combos until you pointed it out.
Yeah, almost every Devil Arm and Gun in DMC3 has some sort of "Crazy Combo" button-mash cancel.

From my observation, attacks in DMC4 that doesn't kill the enemies until the last hit:

- Exceed Level 2-3 versions of Streak & High Roller (standing).

- At least Exceed Level 1 for Shuffle.

- Million Stab (Vergil or Dante).

- The rapid slashes of Yamato Combo C.

- Dance Macabre.

Khundy

Berserker
I actually really miss the crazy combos from the 3rd game when the 4th came out. Also free ride was really amusing, I thought they gave it to Nero since he did it in the cutscene, but it was a lie!

Top Bottom