• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Top 5 things you liked about DMC3

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
SE included of course.

In no particular order.

1 - The combat. For the first time, I got to see what proper stylish combat actually means. This game gave a massive contribution to the franchise in that sense. The stylishness is not only given by how cool the animations are, but also by the way you chain the moves together. Taunts are an awesome icing on the cake, especially Vergil's. Also, the depth it offers with buffering, crazy combos, DTE, jump cancel, gun cancel, switch cancel, Style actions, Artemis' multilock and God knows what else that I forgot or still don't know, is still today only surpassed by DMC4.

2 - Story and cast. Story itself was a step above the other games and generally considered the best in the franchise, on which I agree. Very well paced and structured from the beginning to the very thematic ending, with nice subplots that tie into the main story. The cast was also spot on, the actors made an awesome job at portraying their characters, and became the icons of those characters for how well they did.

3 - Cutscenes and presentation. The cutscenes in this game are beautifully shot. Cinematography was top notch, Shimomura (choreographer and director of the cutscenes) and Itsuno did a great job.

4 - Level design. The game retains the gothic atmosphere of the first title in the form of Temen Ni Gru. I also liked the feeling of interconnession between the various areas, it made me feel I was actually going through a coherent path.

5 - Divine Comedy references. There are A TON in this game, some easy to find, others harder, and others subtle, and I won't list them all, I would stay here forever, but I think at least the most obvious one, Temen Ni Gru itself, is worthy to be mentioned.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
There we go!

1. The combat - still feels like one of the best designed combat systems in action games. It's depth is only outmatched by DMC4 (unless I skipped some action game and I don't know about it).
2. The bosses - their design and the actual fights still are one of my favorites in gaming. Yeah, Doppelganger was kind of a disappointment and maybe Heart of Leviathan was kind of boring but even these two had cool design.
3. The music - DMC3 together with DmC have my favorite soundtracks in the series and one of my favorites in video games overall.
4. Story and the characters - Say what you want about the story or the characters, I actually love them. DMC3's Dante is still my favorite version of the character in terms of personality. Vergil is a great and like able character. Lady is awesome. The fact that Arkham has twin personalities was a cool idea. I actually didn't expect them to be the same person even though the game hints on it.
5. The level design - I loved how Temen-ni-gru looked and how it became active over time and you had to manipulate the tower on some missions. The atmosphere itself was also amazing.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
1. Combat. It's unmatched. The combat is phenomenal and the best of its genre, IMO (especially with the style changer mod on PC). There is just a whole to it. Whether you're a crazy combo enthusiast or a GoW-like hack'n slasher, there are a ton of enjoyment to have from it.

2. Narrative. DMC3's narrative nailed it, IMO. It was simple and I love that. It hit every criteria of a good hack'n slasher for me. The characters are fun and charismatic, the banters between Dante and the demons were amusing and memorable (especially Dante and Vergil's dark brotherly humor), the story flowed well, never feeling like it dragged or hindered gameplay, and the overall setting and lore was interesting.

3. Atmosphere. It's dark, its gothic, it's interesting, yeah.

4. Weapons. Or more specifically, how Dante gets them. i.e Agni and Rudra

5. Music. It's awesome. I still listen to Devils Never Cry.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Dante's design. He looks like a bloody rock star.

Vergil. Not since or after has the serie found someone to equal him in terms of a worthy opponent. So much his equal, so much his opposite.

That Ryuhei Kitamura style of storytelling. When DMC3 was released I was really big on Versus so when the game was told in the same style the movie it was the perfect blend for me.

The story.

The combat.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not even Mundus?
It's true that battling the devil across the cosmos while summoning dragons and shooting meteors and lightning and fire was just... Well, it's actually kind of metal, now that I type it out, and considering that when you beat him he poses as Icarus from the Led Zeppelin album that's just... yeah. But Vergil is, in my eyes, Dante's equal. Both his opposite and his equal. To me that was just the perfect opponent for Dante.

Care to explain to me what that means? Sorry for the ignorance.
Back in 2,ooo a Japanese B-movie director called Ryuhei Kitamura made a small budget zombie action called Versus. If you watch the movie, and others he made, you will note significant similarities with how DMC3's narrative. How it went from a Capcom story compatible with RE, Onimusha, and the likes to what it is.

The movie is super old. If you're curious I'm sure you can find the whole thing on YouTube.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dante's design. He looks like a bloody rock star.

Ha!

2zheg41.gif

the banters between Dante and the demons were amusing and memorable (especially Dante and Vergil's dark brotherly humor)

So much this.

F*** it, here some gifs with some of the most memorable.

"Easy, Fido." (LOL)

10r681z.gif

Bruce Lee taunting:

1239j6a.gif

"You sure know how to throw a party! No food, no drinks, and the only babe just left."

2hnc010.gif

"How about a kiss from your little brother? Or better yet, how about a kiss from THIS?"

24caxpz.gif

"Dude, my father wasn't so hideous! Can't you tell by lookin' at me?"

71sh3l.gif

Top Bottom