• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The "Rules" Of "Survival Horror"

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Goldsickle
Ok. So, what does that mean, then? Did you win the argument? And what did that get you? Was it really worth the aggravation, the back and forth, and the arguing of your point over and over again? Is this a conclusion you couldn't have gotten just the same without getting into a fruitless debate? Don't tell me that only telling one of you to stop the arguing was the way to go because you could've just as easily walked away as well. I asked you to. Instead I got two members, one who tells me he did nothing wrong and the other who says I didn't do anything, it was him, refusing to let things go and let bygones be bygones.

I'm going to sleep.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
The entire Fatal Frame series does this and yet I found it more scarier than any RE game.
It highly depends on what type of game you're talking about, IIRC fatal Frame doesn't have guns so i guess its an exception, i mean can you think about upgrading your guns and buying items from a shop in SH game?
I think horror game enemies are a joke if you can just outrun them.
The point of a horror game is not the enemy but its about making you feel uneasy, most of the "good" survival horror games i've played have little to no enemy on screen for majority of the game.
Fatal Frame series beg to differ.
Technically, i would just call Fatal Frame a "Horror" game not a specifically a survival horror one, BTW most of the stuff i've said only applies to survival horror not horror games in general.
I'm saying this the third time but remember how almost all the Silent Hill games rank you based on kills, even specifically counting whether you kill with melee or firearms.
I never really cared about that though, i just don't see the point of it in a horror game.

EDIT: I just read this whole thread, whoa! at least we can both agree that horror games in general is about making the player feel powerless and the player should be trying to run away from the enemy instead of eagerly awaiting for the next headshot with an upgraded sniper lol it kinda defeats the purpose of it being a horror game.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Ok. So, what does that mean, then?
You wanted it to stop, so I retracted my post by deleting it after changing my mind.
Thought you could take a hint but I guess you're just like the rest of us.

i mean can you think about upgrading your guns and buying items from a shop in SH game?
The Evil Within.

While I'm not bothered about games being "worthy" of the "Survival Horror" label, a lot of people consider The Evil Within as a legitimate "Survival Horror" game.

The point of a horror game is not the enemy but its about making you feel uneasy, most of the "good" survival horror games i've played have little to no enemy on screen for majority of the game.
For me, if it relies solely on atmosphere and emptiness, the "uneasy feeling" wears off in subsequent playthroughs and I only see it as "that part of the game with few/no enemies".

It's not about how many enemies on screen but the dynamics of the A.I. and enemy behavior.
If the enemy is scripted to come out from a specific window and can only chase you up to a certain point, then it becomes predictable and easy to overcome.

But if the enemy is relentless, random and could pop out from anywhere, then that's where the "scariness" comes from.
Alien: Isolation has very little enemies but what made up for it is the dynamics of the enemy behavior, like being able to seek you out, appear anywhere and clever path-finding to get to you.

Technically, i would just call Fatal Frame a "Horror" game not a specifically a survival horror one, BTW most of the stuff i've said only applies to survival horror not horror games in general.
Which goes back to what I said earlier: nobody is truly on the same page about what is or isn't "Survival Horror".

You say that "Fatal Frame isn't Survival Horror" but I know a lot of Fatal Frame fans will disagree.
Trying to explain why you're "right" and they're "wrong" will go in circles, and run into conflicts, since it's all subjective.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I like... sort of a "Black Mirror" take on things.

The Static Speaks My Name might be a good example -- but there's also I Am Alive -- an unconventional take on things.
Now this, I can agree with.

Not saying that it's one hundred percent fact, but it's a good enough premise for a decently-scary game.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
You wanted it to stop, so I retracted my post by deleting it after changing my mind.
Thought you could take a hint but I guess you're just like the rest of us.
How would I be different? I reacted to what I saw, not what was going to happen, I'm no a Jedi, you know.

Top Bottom