• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The inspiration of the DMC games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

benxander

Divine Demon
Considering i'm fairly new to the series and these forums, I want to take the chance to ask devoted fans where the idea of it all comes from?

Yeah, I could google it, but i'd rather hear it from those that surely know it best. And i know i'll get some people posting that dont know.. but still :p

Basically in regards to the demons and the fact some have similar names to our demons and basically the world they live in (is it a parallel universe to ours?)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Some of it comes from Resident Evil. Funny as it may sound the first Devil May Cry was a failed attempt to be Resident Evil 4. But they finally decided that this game shouldn't be a Resident Evil title, but since it sounded pretty good they changed it even more and Devil May Cry was born.
There are still similarities between Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 4, and plus, most of Devil May Cry 4's Easter Eggs are from Resident Evil 4.

The storyline of the original Devil May Cry was adopted from Divine Comedy. The similarities are great. Even in names. In Divine Comedy Dante, the main character is invited to Hell by Beatrice and is guided through it by Virgil. I assume that if you've played Devil May Cry & Devil May Cry 3 you've already noticed the similarities.

Dante's character in the original Devil May Cry was influenced by another manga character. The manga character was an investigator of weird cases who often spoke cocky/funny lines while spotting interesting/weird things or while speaking with adversaries. Almost like Dante in the game who was a nice quote for every book/statue/item and of course every boss in the first game.

The Devils where created as something different. Since this wasn't gonna be a Resident Evil game, it couldn't have Zombies/possessed people/humanoids altered by viruses and the rest. So they adopted something else. And Devils came into the game. They tried to find appropriate names/appearances/moves for every enemy in the game. For example, the Beelzebubs (I may have wrote it wrong) are different kinds of demonic flies in the game. But if you search for Beelzebub he was apparently some high ranking devil and the lord of flies. So you get the idea.

Devil May Cry universe is in a place a bit different from our own. There are signs that they do have advanced technology through Dante's guns or through cars/airplanes and the rest spotted throughout the different Devil May Crys. However, there are certain religious thingies about devils scattered all around the games. Also even though there are modern houses, castles and places that belong to different ages exist in the Devil May Cry universe as good as new.

Nothing else comes to my mind right now, I hope I helped a bit.

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
The similarities don't end there with The Divine Comedy. In the First DMC the "ultimate" move of Ifrit is called "Inferno" (The first book). That's the only other similarity I can think of off the top of my head as it has been 3 years since I last read The Divine Comedy. I did it for discussion at a a book club of which I was the youngest member (14).
Of course, in resi we also saw the type of beasts that would become the Blades.

Just a couple of items not aforementioned.

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Tony_Redgrave;79245 said:
Some of it comes from Resident Evil. Funny as it may sound the first Devil May Cry was a failed attempt to be Resident Evil 4. But they finally decided that this game shouldn't be a Resident Evil title, but since it sounded pretty good they changed it even more and Devil May Cry was born.
There are still similarities between Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 4, and plus, most of Devil May Cry 4's Easter Eggs are from Resident Evil 4.

The storyline of the original Devil May Cry was adopted from Divine Comedy. The similarities are great. Even in names. In Divine Comedy Dante, the main character is invited to Hell by Beatrice and is guided through it by Virgil. I assume that if you've played Devil May Cry & Devil May Cry 3 you've already noticed the similarities.

Dante's character in the original Devil May Cry was influenced by another manga character. The manga character was an investigator of weird cases who often spoke cocky/funny lines while spotting interesting/weird things or while speaking with adversaries. Almost like Dante in the game who was a nice quote for every book/statue/item and of course every boss in the first game.

The Devils where created as something different. Since this wasn't gonna be a Resident Evil game, it couldn't have Zombies/possessed people/humanoids altered by viruses and the rest. So they adopted something else. And Devils came into the game. They tried to find appropriate names/appearances/moves for every enemy in the game. For example, the Beelzebubs (I may have wrote it wrong) are different kinds of demonic flies in the game. But if you search for Beelzebub he was apparently some high ranking devil and the lord of flies. So you get the idea.

Devil May Cry universe is in a place a bit different from our own. There are signs that they do have advanced technology through Dante's guns or through cars/airplanes and the rest spotted throughout the different Devil May Crys. However, there are certain religious thingies about devils scattered all around the games. Also even though there are modern houses, castles and places that belong to different ages exist in the Devil May Cry universe as good as new.

So educating. :lol: +rep.

benxander

Divine Demon
Tony_Redgrave;79245 said:

Thank you VERY much :p
That was ALL so very interesting.

Yeah, I know a teeeeeeny bit about the Divine Comedy, and recognised Dante of course.
And yeah, what you said about old Be'elzebub ;)
I know quite a fair bit about him! I dunno why, of all demons, he fascinates me the most. A prince of Hell, second in command to Lucifer, so they say. How the mistranslation between Lord who can fly and Lord of the Flies was made.

So how come Satan is featured withing DMC?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Satan? You mean Lucifer?

Hmm, since Satan is apparently the king/master of devils in religion it would be weird to feature him in DMC since they already showed us Mundus as the emperor.
So since Lucifer is a cool name they created the weapon instead, I guess.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Tony_Redgrave;79398 said:
Satan? You mean Lucifer?

Hmm, since Satan is apparently the king/master of devils in religion it would be weird to feature him in DMC since they already showed us Mundus as the emperor.
So since Lucifer is a cool name they created the weapon instead, I guess.

Maybe Satan will be featured on future DMC games....:)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Chaos Master;79399 said:
Maybe Satan will be featured on future DMC games....:)

I can also guess that Satan could be Mundus' dad relative. In DMC1 manual, it says that when Mundus was born he seized the devil throne by killing the previous emperor. Since he was able to go near the other emperor easily I guess they could be related. And since the other guy was emperor before Mundus, he could be Satan.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Tony_Redgrave;79400 said:
I can also guess that Satan could be Mundus' dad relative. In DMC1 manual, it says that when Mundus was born he seized the devil throne by killing the previous emperor. Since he was able to go near the other emperor easily I guess they could be related. And since the other guy was emperor before Mundus, he could be Satan.

Maybe all the demons are originated from Satan...:)

P.S - Tony,u don't mind if i add you on MSN,meow...?:)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Chaos Master;79401 said:
Maybe all the demons are originated from Satan...:)

P.S - Tony,u don't mind if i add you on MSN,meow...?:)

Off topic I thought you already did:p No I don't mind.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Tony_Redgrave;79403 said:
Off topic I thought you already did:p No I don't mind.

hehe,thx meow...now i can chat with you happily,meow...:D

Satan,Diablos,Lilith,Succubus,and others are high ranking devils,i guess...

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Well, Diabolo (without the "s") is Spanish for devil so there's definitely something going on there. To be frank languages are not my forte, maybe there are more in that list in languages I'm not too great with or have never heard.

Crimson Red Knight

master of the blade
well, as for my thoughts...although it would seem it's been going on smoothly without me..lol, DMC is closely based around some idea of realism but, they had to make it a fictional story with atleast some fictional demons or half demons as the case is in this situation because if they based the entire story around factual religion, they risk offending some ppl wich would only lead to chaos and havok for capcom. in all theory DMC technacly is a storyline based off of events that supposedly happened according to religious belief...maybe not the way it is portaid but in some sense it has believable realism to back its case

benxander

Divine Demon
NERO116;79563 said:
well, as for my thoughts...although it would seem it's been going on smoothly without me..lol, DMC is closely based around some idea of realism but, they had to make it a fictional story with atleast some fictional demons or half demons as the case is in this situation because if they based the entire story around factual religion, they risk offending some ppl wich would only lead to chaos and havok for capcom. in all theory DMC technacly is a storyline based off of events that supposedly happened according to religious belief...maybe not the way it is portaid but in some sense it has believable realism to back its case

To be honest there are MUCh worse ways of insulting religion. Norwegian Black Metal fanatics burnt down churches and stuff.

As long as they slap on a "this is fiction" sticker it wouldnt matter.
I'm currently jotting down ideas for a novel that features demons, angels, gods, everything paranormal. Its definitely gonna insult people. But it could also bring them together in realisation, i hope.

As for the Mundus killing Satan/Lucifer, thats a good idea.
And yeah, Satan and Lucifer are often the same demon. Lucifer was the fallen angel, and Satan was who he became once he transformed in the fires of hell.

Niruz

Tony_Redgrave;79400 said:
Interesting, + rep ^_^ You wouldn't have some more information on Mundus? He's in my opinion the most interesting Demon in the DMC universe except for Sparda =]

Crimson Red Knight

master of the blade
benxander;79707 said:
To be honest there are MUCh worse ways of insulting religion. Norwegian Black Metal fanatics burnt down churches and stuff.

As long as they slap on a "this is fiction" sticker it wouldnt matter.
I'm currently jotting down ideas for a novel that features demons, angels, gods, everything paranormal. Its definitely gonna insult people. But it could also bring them together in realisation, i hope.

As for the Mundus killing Satan/Lucifer, thats a good idea.
And yeah, Satan and Lucifer are often the same demon. Lucifer was the fallen angel, and Satan was who he became once he transformed in the fires of hell.

this is true..although im sure videogame developers dont think along those lines when they make a game..they just think, ok lets make sure they know this is fictional so we dont get slapped with a court case..lol

as for the lucifer and satan thing..yeah it is a cool concept..although ive also heard some religious groups say (im not sure wich as ive heard many) say that lucifer was satans 7th son, cast out of hell for disobeying satan or some crap like that and setting souls free

benxander

Divine Demon
Crimson Red Knight;79917 said:
this is true..although im sure videogame developers dont think along those lines when they make a game..they just think, ok lets make sure they know this is fictional so we dont get slapped with a court case..lol

as for the lucifer and satan thing..yeah it is a cool concept..although ive also heard some religious groups say (im not sure wich as ive heard many) say that lucifer was satans 7th son, cast out of hell for disobeying satan or some crap like that and setting souls free

Nah, i've honestly never heard of that one.
Its always Lucifer came first and then Satan came second. Then theres the whole, maybe theyre two different entities.

Apparently Lucifer had as much power as Michael and the only supreme being that had as much power as them was God himself.
Thats kinda interesting cos Lucifer had the power to maintain Hell, and i'm sure he had enoough power to kill all other angels but Michael, so i never understood why such a war would stop?

Crimson Red Knight

master of the blade
benxander;80414 said:
Nah, i've honestly never heard of that one.
Its always Lucifer came first and then Satan came second. Then theres the whole, maybe theyre two different entities.

Apparently Lucifer had as much power as Michael and the only supreme being that had as much power as them was God himself.
Thats kinda interesting cos Lucifer had the power to maintain Hell, and i'm sure he had enoough power to kill all other angels but Michael, so i never understood why such a war would stop?

i dont really understand that myself..lol, i mean..it dosnt make sense that it would just stop...no warning or signs of an end to it..but it just stops.. as for my statment..i cant remember where i heard that theory although ive heard just about every theory in the book so it would be hard to rifle through my thoughts to find out exactly where i heard it..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom