• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

teminigru gatekeepers, did anyone else pick up one this?

seraphmaycry

i never see this stuff mentioned(i suspect it's either to obscure or to obvious to be commonly discussed) but the gatekeepers of the tower each represent one of dantes seven sins

EDIT: update to fit with leviathan and envy link, greed also now has a gatekeeper.

in no particular order

cerberus: pride, gave his soul to dante in regocnition of defeat

agni and rudra: sloth, once i thought about how they were composed of ONLY the swords, this made more sense, as they don't actually do anything during the fight, also, at the start of the fight they spend like a minute talking mindlessly, and once defeated they beg dante to take them with him, dante agrees if they only shut up, agni and rudra make a very poor effort at this, also think about something else in the fight, agni and rudra, even on DMD mode don't actually power up much or for very long, even though there is no reason stated or even hinted that they tottaly can't. (dante seems to have them activated at will, meaning either he has forced them into going along with it, or he is channeling his own power into the swords to activate them)

geryon: At first i saw sloth, but with a better look into the backstory of him i realize now gluttony makes sense, as he was created by eating to many souls.

leviathan: envy, this was well explained a few posts below

beowulf: hate, very angry at sparda and dosn't do much more then rage during the fight.

nevan: lust, do i even need to explain?

while arhkam nicely fits as greed, i think he may not be the one to represent it(or at least the role is shared) i think, in fact, that the thingie dante gets at the start of mission 11 may actually be the gatekeeper of greed it fits the gatekeepers in the same general specifications, it's demonic, it tries to kill stuff, and it's own power is used by dante (to power the bridge)
and since it gives him power in exchange for his souls, it really does seem to be greed, furthermore, if by "his soul" we take that it means the "good" or "pure" parts of his souls were the ones it was absorbing, leaving it's victim, what's that common political word? yup leaving it's victim corrupt(corrupt means dishonest, a link to the lies and knives in the dark that are associated with greed, such as the whole kill your sibling ruler stuff). and the battle against doppelganger could be seen as representation with dante fighting the sin within himself (notice how he fights doppelganger right after realising what's important because of lady, like, right after, like 10 minute or less. like,yeah,like,like. like like like lik elike like)

Last edited:

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
i never see this stuff mentioned(i suspect it's either to obscure or to obvious to be commonly discussed) but the gatekeepers of the tower each represent one of dantes seven sins

in no particular order

cerberus: pride, gave his soul to dante in regocnition of defeat

agni and rudra: envy, as they grew off the others power when one of them died and upon defeat asked for dante to take them with him

geryon: sloth, as he freezes dante into place whil ramming him and needs a brrak after just a minute or so of running that would be considered slow for something of it's size and breed.

leviathan: gluttony, due to the population of that same creature inside it, it's immediate reaction to eat dante and it's various organs desire to consume orbs.

beowulf: hate, very angry at sparda and dosn't do much more then rage during the fight.

nevan: lust, do i even need to explain?

now, that's only seven sins and that's the thing, it would seem that there is no greed gatekepper but arhkam nicely fits here and the battle against doppelganger could be seen as representation with dante fighting the sin within himself (notice how he fights doppelganger right after realising what's important because of lady, like, right after, like 10 minute or less. like,yeah,like,like. like like like lik elike like)

cool theory

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nice thoughts. I'm inclined to go with this because of Dante in Dante's Inferno going through the areas of hell...so who's to say Temenniguru isn't like DMC3 Dante's own circle of hell quest.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Nice thoughts. I'm inclined to go with this because of Dante in Dante's Inferno going through the areas of hell...so who's to say Temenniguru isn't like DMC3 Dante's own circle of hell quest.

dante's inferno was awsome(didnt enjoy how similar the gameplay was to god of war) but still a great game i want a sequel :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
The developers were batting the idea of the deadly sins around with this game because they named the Hells after them already. Wouldn't surprise me if all of the bosses were meant to convey them too with personality or strategy, but maybe some of them were meant to be more obvious but were later toned down (except for Nevan and Leviathan). I have the Note of Naught with the designs in, but I don't think there's much information about deadly sins in relation to the boss development in it.

But, Leviathan is in reality a Biblical demon historically associated with envy. In the game he is even powered by an object that contains souls sent to hell for envy (ignis fatuus). I can see why you would say its association is gluttony because it eats everything, including Dante. Developers definitely had a link there between Leviathan and envy, though - just like in historical Christian belief about it being the "demon of envy".

There's also more than seven sins but over time only seven became well known. One of them is "vainglory", excessive vanity, boasting and narcissism. If anyone's got those qualities it's Arkham, once he gets hold of Sparda's power.

seraphmaycry

But, Leviathan is in reality a Biblical demon historically associated with envy. In the game he is even powered by an object that contains souls sent to hell for envy (ignis fatuus). I can see why you would say its association is gluttony because it eats everything, including Dante. Developers definitely had a link there between Leviathan and envy, though - just like in historical Christian belief about it being the "demon of envy".

i didn't think of that for leviathan, gluttony was just the more obvious one.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've heard this theory once before but I don't know how it went down. Since the game is so old there wasn't much interest in it so I don't think it lead anywhere.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Holy hell, I never actually caught on to that! :eek: To be honest, now that you've pointed it out, I'm not sure how I missed it. I guess because I was so busy only applying the seven sins to the "Seven Hells", it didn't occur to me those same titles belonged to the Gate Keepers as well.

seraphmaycry

ARKHAM is def greed for sure hes the very personification of greed

i thought thay at first, but i explained in the above edit how it may actually be the thingie dnat gets at the start of mission 11 (now i feel like knowings the name of it is important, what was it? neo-genesis?)

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Good analysis bro, i've never really stopped to think about that. I know that all the "theming" of the game revolves around that but never noticed that things in particular.

I like asian storytelling in this aspect because they use a LOT of symbolism to all they want to tell, they really take some concepts and try to revolve the whole thing with them. And when you see some good analysis about that, a lot of things starts to make sense, some years ago i would weekly take a look at the Dragon-Tear (Breath of Fire) forums, and some dudes would bring a lot of analysis and explanation to symbols and representations found even in the save menus, for example. For us westerns, generally it means nothing because we're not really on touch with their ways and culture, but i find it incredible how much information they can put into the game with simple things. If i were not a guy with some affinity with mathematics and natural sciences as a whole, i would like to be one anthropologist and study asian culture from its very foundation.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
i thought thay at first, but i explained in the above edit how it may actually be the thingie dnat gets at the start of mission 11 (now i feel like knowings the name of it is important, what was it? neo-genesis?)

I meant to reply to this when you first posted. You were close; Neo Generator.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
The developers were batting the idea of the deadly sins around with this game because they named the Hells after them already. Wouldn't surprise me if all of the bosses were meant to convey them too with personality or strategy, but maybe some of them were meant to be more obvious but were later toned down (except for Nevan and Leviathan). I have the Note of Naught with the designs in, but I don't think there's much information about deadly sins in relation to the boss development in it.

There's also more than seven sins but over time only seven became well known. One of them is "vainglory", excessive vanity, boasting and narcissism. If anyone's got those qualities it's Arkham, once he gets hold of Sparda's power.
This is true. Also wouldn't surprise me if Vergil is meant to be Dante's anti-thesis of sorts.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
This is true. Also wouldn't surprise me if Vergil is meant to be Dante's anti-thesis of sorts.

There's like, one official artbook or something to these lines that tells the intention was them to be polar opposites: this is represented by their colors of choice, the way they use their hairs, their personalities, even their fighting styles and weapons of choice.

If you really break it down, you'll see that Dante and Vergil are like Sparda splitted in two.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
There's like, one official artbook or something to these lines that tells the intention was them to be polar opposites: this is represented by their colors of choice, the way they use their hairs, their personalities, even their fighting styles and weapons of choice.

If you really break it down, you'll see that Dante and Vergil are like Sparda splitted in two.
That sounds pretty accurate when you get down to it too. The little quote about their souls being at odds truly does hold a lot of weight.

Top Bottom