• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Styles for DMC5

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Hope the style system comes back.

Gunslinger, Swordmaster, Trickster & Royal Guard.

Dark Slayer can be given back to Vergil.

Wonder what new styles they can add? How about "Spell Caster"?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wanted Nero to have a melee style focusing on combos, counters and beating people up with his bare hands. He feels like a brawler.

Lucia has an "Ice Maiden" style that focuses on using her ice powers for combat and traversal.

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I hope Quicksilver & Doppelganger can come back. Dante needs that time-freezing ability again.

Do you think classic Vergil can use Doppelganger?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I say dump the style system. Having one button with multiple different functions gets confusing and it's such an elitist thing to have. People who get good with it become such condescending c***s and get high and mighty about it. Elitist attitude aside there is always a more basic and simple way to pull of more moves than just having something that hectic, something more organic. While I don't want DmC's combat, either, it was the more streamlined example that the style switching system isn't the only way to do things.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Hope the style system comes back.

Me too. It was one of the things that set DMC's combat apart and added the depth very few action games can boast even today, if any at all. Without it, a lot of combo potential and much of the variety DMC is now known for would be gone, and it would be a damn shame. They shouldn't take a step back, and an example of it was Nero. The tools he had weren't bad at all but damn if he felt a lot more shallow than Dante(and it wasn't just for the lack of weapons). Maybe he was intended for beginners, and since Dante was part of the game anyway to some extent, I could forgive it but he was a good example of what kind of a hit the combat's depth and variety would take without Styles.

DmC overall did a good job at keeping it as complex as it could within NT's ability but without Styles, it was simply inevitable that it wasn't going to be as complex as its predecessor, and that complexity is one of the things the define DMC's combat.

I wanted Nero to have a melee style focusing on combos, counters and beating people up with his bare hands.

Good idea, and can easily be done. Just implement directional inputs for his arm and there you go.

Do you think classic Vergil can use Doppelganger?

I don't see why not. Would make for impressive stylish combos. Just look up what people can do with DMC4 Dante Doppleganger mod.

Goldsickle

I'm in favor of having it abolished.

It was nothing more than a makeshift method in regulating Dante's large arsenal, which piled up over a slightly-altered classic Resident Evil control scheme.

DmC's controls aren't perfect but it was going the right direction and works best for muscle memory.

Goldsickle

@Goldsickle

I actually have one that piles (almost) everything on, but you probably wouldn't think it's a good idea...
Piling up can't be helped, since there's so much you can do with the gamepad and its limited buttons.

I'd like some sort of system that minimizes toggling as much as possible.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'd like some sort of system that minimizes toggling as much as possible.
In Ninja Gaiden, when you block, you have the option of dodging by flicking the analog stick in any direction (and having a "perfect dodge" when you time it right) so, I'd like to at least fuse Royal Guard, Trickster, and the Dark Slayer styles (only for Vergil though) together at some point.

Jack500

The style style system never made sense to me. The fact that you have to chose between being able to dodge, block, or having more moves for either your melee weapons or firearms is just BS, especially when other hack and slash games lets you have all of these at the same time.

Reign

Pizzaslinger.

Party Man. Think intro to DMC 3.

@Jack500 It's why DmC and DMC 4's combat was pretty well received. We have the abilities to do these things now with the D pad.

Jack500

It's why DmC and DMC 4's combat was pretty well received. We have the abilities to do these things now with the D pad.
In DMC 4 case you stile need to switch between having a dodge move and having more melee/firearms moves, you can't have have them all on the controller at the same time. It's like constantly having to change your control setup

Reign

In DMC 4 case you stile need to switch between having a dodge move and having more melee/firearms moves, you can't have have them all on the controller at the same time. It's like constantly having to change your control setup

Yeah, you can't map everything from all styles onto one controller layout without complicating things for casuals, but I understand. DmC got rid of that issue but not at the extremity of DMC4's style system. You'd still have to press or hold a button to switch styles.

Most devs can do is make the animations go into a new style during a combo, but if you favor a weapon this wouldn't be satisfactory. Could you name the games where they have a huge list of moves mapped to basic controls without triggering with a button press?

Last thing I wanna be doing is a fatality to just warp a few inches.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Pizzaslinger.

Party Man. Think intro to DMC 3.

That would be priceless.

We have the abilities to do these things now with the D pad.

You were always able to dodge even without Trickster. Trickster expanded your options and added extra flair to your movement, as well as extending your air mobility.

It was a shame that it was nerfed in DMC4, I missed the wall runs. But thanks to the interactiom between it and Royalguard the stuff you can do with it is insane. I don't know if you know donguri on Youtube, but if you don't, check out "donguri traditional entry" and watch that cool ass spectacle he pulls off against Sanctus. In no other Devil May Cry you can do stuff as impressive as that. That's what I mean when I say the Styles add so much to combat depth and variety, and that's why fans don't want them gone for Dante.

Last edited:

Reign

That would be priceless.

You were always able to dodge even without Trickster. Trickster expanded your options and added extra flair to your movement, as well as extending your air mobility.

It was a shame that it was nerfed in DMC4, I missed the wall runs. But thanks to the interactiom between it and Royalguard the stuff you can do with it is insane. I don't know if you know donguri on Youtube, but if you don't, check out "donguri traditional entry" and watch that cool ass spectacle he pulls off against Sanctus.

Those wall runs were amazing. DMC 2 was trying to give us everything but, it started lacking in combat and area design to focus on Dante's flair. I wish they'd remake it and prove to us all that it was meant to be awesome.

I think it's called table hopper in DMC 4 (dodge).

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think it's called table hopper in DMC 4 (dodge).

No, Table Hopper is when you time the roll just right before an enemy hits you, and Nero perform a dash sideways.

What I'm talking about with Trickster and Royalguard combined, fans gave it a name but I forgot it, just check out the video I told you to see it for yourself.

EDIT:
The technique is called Guard Fly, in case you wanted to check out how it's done.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

In Ninja Gaiden, when you block, you have the option of dodging by flicking the analog stick in any direction (and having a "perfect dodge" when you time it right) so, I'd like to at least fuse Royal Guard, Trickster, and the Dark Slayer styles (only for Vergil though) together at some point.
"Compacting" might be a good way to not clutter everything.

In DMC3 & DMC4, Dante has two "rising uppercut" move (Rising/Divine Dragon and Real Impact), which I think is redundant.
In DmC, they simply compacted the two moves into one, via Uppercut.

I was also thinking that R1 should be the dash & sprint button.
Instead of "hold R1 to walk slowly", it should be "hold R1 to run very fast".
You tap R1 + direction with the analog stick to maybe dash or roll away, while keeping the stick tilted and the button held down will allow Dante to sprint.

And if you press a weapon button while doing this, you'll do a signature move, like Stinger.
I can totally imagine Dante sprinting into a Jet Stream, Reverb Shock, Revolver or Kick 13.

To get a feel of what I'm talking about, play Metal Gear Rising and do Raiden's slide attack while Ninja Running.
Even the input is the same: R1 + Forward + Triangle, except that you are more agile and you don't need to lock on to an enemy to execute the move.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Just give people the options to use 2 styles together like

Sword master and trickster
And royal guard and gunslinger

and different button combos do different moves and you can map em to 2 buttons instead of one.

Keep the four styles just add a 5th level to them with increased moves and new moves in base and in dt.

Top Bottom