• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sonic Mania & Sonic Forces

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Project Sonic is just Sonic Generations 2. Don't know why they don't just announce it as that, but whatever.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Not really interested in Mania, having no love or nostalgia to spare for the old-school Sonic games. I loved the sh!t out of most of the 3D Sonic games, including Generations, though...so I will be playing Project Sonic for sure.

I'm curious what the NX port of it will be like.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
having no love or nostalgia to spare for the old-school Sonic games.
Get-out.gif

WolfOD64

kobe-shrug.jpg
I mean, I don't hate them...I was just too busy abusing my thumbs on the Castlevania games every time I had the opportunity to choose a 2-D platformer to play. Hell, I have more fun with Freedom Planet than I do with classic Sonic. I do love the Adventure games, though, and some of the more recent efforts like Colors and Generations.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
@WolfOD64

I loved Castlevania; but I also loved Ninja Gaiden more (which was a faster, cheaper Castlevania).

However, looking back -- I think I see a lot of similarities between the way Ryu and Sonic run and somersault.

Which leads me to my next point: NG was very much inspired by Castlevania and Zelda II. So, in a roundabout way, Sonic was inspired by Castlevania more than anything else.

Props to you for abusing your thumbs though -- I barely had the patience to make it into the first four levels of the first X-Men Genesis games.

I only beat the second Sonic, anyway. My gaming credentials back then were, "play it until you get sick of seeing the Game Over screen and give up."

You're the better gamer, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
kobe-shrug.jpg
I mean, I don't hate them...I was just too busy abusing my thumbs on the Castlevania games every time I had the opportunity to choose a 2-D platformer to play. Hell, I have more fun with Freedom Planet than I do with classic Sonic. I do love the Adventure games, though, and some of the more recent efforts like Colors and Generations.
I liked the Adventure games too, as I had them both for the Gamecube. However, revisiting them, I think that they really just aren't as good as many people try to make it out to be. They rose tinted that particular Sonic endeavor to the extremes because those games are filled with some really good stuff, but also some really terrible stuff. They really aren't the strong titles we remembered them being.

WolfOD64

Which leads me to my next point: NG was very much inspired by Castlevania and Zelda II. So, in a roundabout way, Sonic was inspired by Castlevania more than anything else.
That...might be a stretch. Castlevania and Sonic really don't play alike at all. The way enemies are encountered, for one, are completely different. In most of the 2D Sonic games, you could clear a stage with attacking as few enemies as possible, without suffering a whole lot of damage. You try that in Castlevania, and you're dead...not only are the Belmots literal sloths in comparison to Sonic, but their lack of immense mobility also subjegates them to having to fight practically every enemy in their path, to avoid being anally-ruptured by a skeleton or suit of armor, or something.

You're the better gamer, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Whoa, there...let's not be too hasty. You are talking to a DMC enthusiast that can't even pull off a successful jump-cancel. I love video games, but I by no means claim to be good at them.

I liked the Adventure games too, as I had them both for the Gamecube. However, revisiting them, I think that they really just aren't as good as many people try to make it out to be. They rose tinted that particular Sonic endeavor to the extremes because those games are filled with some really good stuff, but also some really terrible stuff. They really aren't the strong titles we remembered them being.
Well, that's what happens when you have Sonic games developed for the Dreamcast...a console with minimal camera control and hindrances with its level design to accomodate for the system's limitations. They were never exactly destined to age particularly-well.

Of course, like a lot of games I like, such as the original Devil May Cry, I've conditioned myself to be fairly good at playing around the controls and technical deficiencies of the Adventure games.

They aren't flawless and pretty much warrant every criticism they get nowadays, but I was aware of most of those flaws even when I played them back in the day...nostalgia hasn't played much of a factor on them. I just manage to have fun where others can't.

That's also how I've managed to enjoy the two lovable bastard children of the Star Fox series, Assault and Zero.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I also cannot jump-cancel -- without assigning the jump button to L2 and Melee to Square, I mean -- and even then I can only do it on the ground a few times, and not in midair.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, that's what happens when you have Sonic games developed for the Dreamcast...a console with minimal camera control and hindrances with its level design to accomodate for the system's limitations. They were never exactly destined to age particularly-well.

Of course, like a lot of games I like, such as the original Devil May Cry, I've conditioned myself to be fairly good at playing around the controls and technical deficiencies of the Adventure games.

They aren't flawless and pretty much warrant every criticism they get nowadays, but I was aware of most of those flaws even when I played them back in the day...nostalgia hasn't played much of a factor on them. I just manage to have fun where others can't.

That's also how I've managed to enjoy the two lovable bastard children of the Star Fox series, Assault and Zero
Well, I don't think it really has much to do with the console differences. Like, just the way the game is designed, like those terrible jewel hunting levels with Knuckles, and whatever the **** Big the Cat is doing are just, not well made to begin with. Sonic's parts are probably the best. Like, the City Escape level is still so much awesome.

"Rolling around at the speed of sound, got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow!"

And I actually like Zero more than Assault. But yea, I'm basically on the same page with ya. I think the real bastard child is Stairfax Tempatures.

*Is also a DMC enthusiast who can not jump cancel*
I can jump cancel, but I kinda don't do it very often whatsoever. It's a pretty overhyped mechanic. Devil May Cry is about doing cool things, jump canceling is really not that cool in itself.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I Wanna Believe!!!

I loved the 2D games and I liked most of the 3D games. I have faith that Sonic Team won't screw this one up.

WolfOD64

Well, I don't think it really has much to do with the console differences. Like, just the way the game is designed, like those terrible jewel hunting levels with Knuckles, and whatever the **** Big the Cat is doing are just, not well made to begin with. Sonic's parts are probably the best. Like, the City Escape level is still so much awesome.
I like both the Running Stages with Sonic/Shadow as well as the Mech Shooting Stages with Tails/Eggman. They were both fast-paced enough to compliment the flow of the game.

Those Gem Hunting stages, though....yelch. Especially those later levels in space: Good freaking luck getting an A-Rank on those...I never have, even after years of playing SA2.

"Rolling around at the speed of sound, got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow!"
My literal jam. Such an awesome soundtrack.

And I actually like Zero more than Assault. But yea, I'm basically on the same page with ya. I think the real bastard child is Stairfax Tempatures.
The only thing about Adventures that truly frustrates me is the game it could've ended up being, Dinosaur Planet. That game looked so cool, like a Don Bluth animated movie of sorts...and a promising Nintendo IP.

No, the single WORST Star Fox game ever made is the abhorrent, outright embarrassment known as Command. That game literally got everything wrong, from the gameplay, to the character designs, to the bosses, to the god-awful story...

Just....no.

David Ryatta

It kinda sucks... all I want is for Sega to step up and rename Mania Sonic 5.. its got more classic Sonic in it then Sonic 4 did.. while the other game is another generations.. after they said they'd not do that anymore they've gone and done it again to guarantee more money.

After I'd love to see the team branch out.. a Knuckles Chaotix 2 would be very cool.. if niche!

Top Bottom