• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Play3 Magazine Review : 8.9/10

ji-high

Nope, what works and doesn't work in a game is not my opinion. If it were an opinion, reviewers would be out of business. Reviews would not be needed because it's all subjective.

Well by that logic reviewers' word is gospel and nobody should ever disagree with it am i right? Come on now. Of course it's all subjective. If a game is not completely broken to the point where it's unplayable then the rest is purely subjective. This very exchange between you and me started because you didn't agree with a reviewer's opinon on DmC which proves that a review is just that, an opinion. More often than not i find myself enjoying a game that got poor reviews and hating another one that got nothing but praise(Bayonetta) and i'm pretty sure you're no different.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well by that logic reviewers' word is gospel and nobody should ever disagree with it am i right? Come on now. Of course it's all subjective. If a game is not completely broken to the point where it's unplayable then the rest is purely subjective. This very exchange between you and me started because you didn't agree with a reviewer's opinon on DmC which proves that a review is just that, an opinion. More often than not i find myself enjoying a game that got poor reviews and hating another one that got nothing but praise(Bayonetta) and i'm pretty sure you're no different.

I haven't read the review in question. I only saw the grade (an 89/100) and thought that was questionable. It shouldn't be their opinion, anyway. They should review the game based on what's done well and what isn't done well. Is the story cliché or not? Can you chain combos together well? All that.

Sure, they can put their opinions in it, but they shouldn't base a review on opinions.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You surely can't seriously think that people can review games they absolutely adore by saying ''I love this game. Therefore, I rate it a 9/10''. That's not how reviewing games works. It's about determining whether or not it's a good game, not how much you like it.

But if you disagree, I guess I can't do anything about that, as you're not quite absorbing what I say. That said, you don't have to, even though I don't like that. It's a free country.

I did enjoy having this debate with you all, though. I think it's fun. I guess I'm weird that way :p
Till next time... muuuuuhahahahahah! (That's an evil laugh) XD

ji-high

You surely can't seriously think that people can review games they absolutely adore by saying ''I love this game. Therefore, I rate it a 9/10''. That's not how reviewing games works. It's about determining whether or not it's a good game, not how much you like it.

But if you disagree, I guess I can't do anything about that, as you're not quite absorbing what I say. That said, you don't have to, even though I don't like that. It's a free country.

I did enjoy having this debate with you all, though. I think it's fun. I guess I'm weird that way :p

*Sigh* as i said, if a game is not downright unplayable then yes a review is nothing else but a compilation of the things the reviewer liked/didn't like because that's the only way to judge it. I don't like Heavy Rain or Journey, they are just not my type of games but i wouldn't say that people who love it are "factually wrong" for doing so. They work like they are supposed to so anything i have to say about them is purely subjective at this point; meaning, it's just my opinion. I'm not "absorbing" what you're saying because to me it just doesn't make any kind of sense but as you said it's a free country so you can keep saying it.

WorkenOnMaLeft

Look, saying the linearity helps the story is not an actual argument. That's what I'm saying. No need to get defensive about it. I meant it would be somebody's opinion, not a fact. What people like doesn't factor into the grade of reviews.
of course it does! if there was no opinion input into reviews at all it would be literally imposible to grade and list pros and cons as ALL those things are dependent on opinion. what are you even saying guy? the only way for reviews to be completly objective (going by your definition of objectivity) is to simply count the features and other factual things such as the story, even saying things like "the controls are tight and responsive" or "the story is gripping or dull but this and that is enjoyable so the game gets an 8" those things are all opinions! a REAL non objective review is one that is not influenced by "fanboyism", hype, or popularity (wether it be positive or negative)

TyIquan_DmC

Choppy means the game lags after each input, on screen. The framerate would be the cause of that, as it's an indication of literally the number of frames (like papers in a paper notepad) that get overturned after each other. That would make it less playable, or at least annoying to play. Have you played Dark Souls on 360? Many times the game lagged so much it would cause me to die. That's an example.

The framerate stuttering would be the cause of that. Inconsistent framerates are what makes things choppy and unresponsive. That's why you suffered in Dark Souls. Because of the lag. Not because it was running the way it was supposed to. According to tests the demo was put through, this isn't an issue with DmC outside of the cutscenes of the PS3 version.

A 9 means it's excellent, with an amazing story (like one of the best stories) amazing gameplay and so on. It would have to be a masterpiece. Similarly, a 10/10 would be a perfect game that's excellent in every regard.

Ok, and what games qualify for 9+?

would be worth (at that time) around 8.5/10, DMC2 I can't be sure about since I haven't finished it yet, and DMC1 would be around an 8/10, I guess. All based on their value back then, when games weren't as sophisticated as they are now.

8.5? That's but 4 points off from this review. What justified DMC3 getting that, but an 8.9 being unfathomable here? What was so different back then? Why DMC1 only an 8? What about DMC4(if you already mentioned it elsewhere, I missed it)?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
*Sigh* as i said, if a game is not downright unplayable then yes a review is nothing else but a compilation of the things the reviewer liked/didn't like because that's the only way to judge it. I don't like Heavy Rain or Journey, they are just not my type of games but i wouldn't say that people who love it are "factually wrong" for doing so. They work like they are supposed to so anything i have to say about them is purely subjective at this point; meaning, it's just my opinion. I'm not "absorbing" what you're saying because to me it just doesn't make any kind of sense but as you said it's a free country so you can keep saying it.

Again, liking it and it being a good game are two separate things. Learn the difference.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
of course it does! if there was no opinion input into reviews at all it would be literally imposible to grade and list pros and cons as ALL those things are dependent on opinion. what are you even saying guy? the only way for reviews to be completly objective (going by your definition of objectivity) is to simply count the features and other factual things such as the story, even saying things like "the controls are tight and responsive" or "the story is gripping or dull but this and that is enjoyable so the game gets an 8" those things are all opinions! a REAL non objective review is one that is not influenced by "fanboyism", hype, or popularity (wether it be positive or negative)

Why are you so sure pros and cons depend on opinion? I wrote in a review that Splinter Cell: Conviction's screen turning black and white when you're invisible to your enemies sucks the atmosphere out of a game. You've got a city skyline as a backdrop, and then the screen turns black and white. How is that not a fact but an opinion?

If I said Game of Thrones was a good tv show because it features well thought out characters and an interesting story filled with intrigue, backstabbing, violence and who-knows-what, and a believable setting, would you say I'm wrong? Would you rate a story I just made up using the character called Derp McFaggot as highly as GoT? Seriously, then what is the use of reviews like those of Roger Ebert, which are usually based on what's factually good about movies? Has he wasted his life choosing the profession of reviewer? Do we only need to look at something, go ''Yep, that's a good movie'' and that's it? Come on, man.

ji-high

Again, liking it and it being a good game are two separate things. Learn the difference.

LOL it's obvious you want desperately to have the "last word" so... you win. Happy now? You're way too dense for me anyway so this discussion can't go anywhere. Have a nice day.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

So that would mean all the praise DMC3 got was on the money even though it had a very one minded story, the back tracking could be a btich to deal with, and the characters were generic anime characters?

A review is of what the person playing likes about the game. It's all on opinion.

It seems to me that any praise DmC gets is hard to swallow.

tumblr_mcn527twvR1qd4343o1_500.png

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
LOL it's obvious you want desperately to have the "last word" so... you win. Happy now? You're way too dense for me anyway so this discussion can't go anywhere. Have a nice day.

I could say that of you, too. You won't agree with me either, so what's the difference? It seems to me you want to have the last word by responding with such a low comment accusing me of being dense. I understand that we don't agree with each other's views. I hope you can accept that like I can. That said, I will continue posting if people keep responding. That's how conversations work.

Anyway, happy after-holidays, or whatever :p

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
So that would mean all the praise DMC3 got was on the money even though it had a very one minded story, the back tracking could be a btich to deal with, and the characters were generic anime characters?

A review is of what the person playing likes about the game. It's all on opinion.

It seems to me that any praise DmC gets is hard to swallow.

tumblr_mcn527twvR1qd4343o1_500.png

I don't see what's 'generic' about DMC3's Dante. Or have you seen like fifty other Dantes in video games that look exactly like him, wearing the same clothes, having the same attitude and background story? That's what generic means. Generic are the enemies in Skyrim called Draugr, who have no names and all look the same. That's generic. I suppose that if those things really would be bad points, then you can subtract those from the final score. Let's say you start out with a 0/10, then add all the positive points and subtract the negative ones. There you go.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Like I said, and I do want an answer instead of attacks on my person (though you can decide for yourself whether or not to respond):

Why are you so sure pros and cons depend on opinion? I wrote in a review that Splinter Cell: Conviction's screen turning black and white when you're invisible to your enemies sucks the atmosphere out of the game. You've got a city skyline as a backdrop, and then the screen turns black and white. How is that not a fact but an opinion? The fact is, color evokes an emotional response. Fact, not opinion.

If I said Game of Thrones was a good tv show because it features well thought out characters and an interesting story filled with intrigue, backstabbing, violence and who-knows-what, and a believable setting, would you say I'm wrong? Would you rate a story I just made up using the character called Derp McBobblehead as highly as GoT? Seriously, then what is the use of reviews like those of Roger Ebert, which are usually based on what's factually good about movies? Has he wasted his life choosing the profession of reviewer? Do we only need to look at something, go ''Yep, that's a good movie'' and that's it? Come on, man.

DragonMaster2010

I don't see what's 'generic' about DMC3's Dante. Or have you seen like fifty other Dantes in video games that look exactly like him, wearing the same clothes, having the same attitude and background story?
images

There you go. And in terms of red attire
images
images
images
images

I think that counts as a bit Generic.
That's what generic means. Generic are the enemies in Skyrim called Draugr, who have no names and all look the same. That's generic. I suppose that if those things really would be bad points, then you can subtract those from the final score. Let's say you start out with a 0/10, then add all the positive points and subtract the negative ones. There you go.

That's still all opinions, which are what make reviews, reviews. Different people have different taste. What you may call bad, others could call good.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
That's still all opinions, which are what make reviews, reviews. Different people have different taste. What you may call bad, others could call good.

You just showed characters who have white hair and red clothes - no, scratch that - who wear red clothes. So anyone who wears red clothes = Dante? That's sad.

Yeah, the first picture is Dante for 100 percent -_-

DragonMaster2010

You just showed characters who have white hair and red clothes, no scratch that - who wear red clothes. So anyone who wears red clothes = Dante? That's sad.

No. You said this;
don't see what's 'generic' about DMC3's Dante. Or have you seen like fifty other Dantes in video games that look exactly like him, wearing the same clothes, having the same attitude and background story?

Inuyasha, Alucard, Ragna, Vash, Edward Elric, and a few others share either Dante's attitude, white hair, or red coat love.

Inuyasha has the white hair and red coat with the backstory and giant sword trope down, while Ragna just has the white hair, red coat, giant sword, but a demonic arm like Nero.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
No. You said this;
don't see what's 'generic' about DMC3's Dante. Or have you seen like fifty other Dantes in video games that look exactly like him, wearing the same clothes, having the same attitude and background story?

Inuyasha, Alucard, Ragna, Vash, Edward Elric, and a few others share either Dante's attitude, white hair, or red coat love.

Inuyasha has the white hair and red coat with the backstory and giant sword trope down, while Ragna just has the white hair, red coat, giant sword, but a demonic arm like Nero.

''That look exactly like him''. They don't look exactly like him. ''Who wear the same clothes'': they don't wear the same clothes.
They don't have the same attitude and background story.

DragonMaster2010

''That look exactly like him''. They don't look exactly like him. ''Who wear the same clothes'': they don't wear the same clothes.
They don't have the same attitude and background story.

Have you SEEN Inuyasha?

And Alucards cocky and arrogance is almost exactly like Dante's arrogance.

ChaserTech

No. You said this;

To be fair, he said "look exactly like them", not similar.
I'm also sure he meant having all of those qualities rolled into a character including the same attitude and background story. Not or.

And just because he has a few connections with the characters you mentioned, doesn't automatically make him generic all around. To me it seems as if you were focusing too much on red clothing and white hair when it's pretty common.
And some of those characters were actually made after Dante was created.

Also Nero's arm doesn't equate to Dante. Just pointing that out.

Although I'm not saying Dante isn't generic one bit. He kinda is.
I'm just saying that you took parts of his statement and treated as an "or" statement.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Ideas and designs have been borrowed, changed and adapted since humans became creative. DMC is like a modern, borrows bits from, Dante's Inferno.
So don't br surprised when there are white haired characters running around in red. They won't be the first and won't be the last. ^_^

Top Bottom