• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nether

Dark Drakan

Admin
nether-620x350.jpg

Yeah I have been posting a lot about these survival games, be it DayZ, Rust or The Forest but I have just came across another thats in early alpha and has gained my interest. Its known as Nether and reminds me a little of S.T.A.L.K.E.R but its a survival MMO/shared world style title instead and is still in Alpha on early access. Its showing some promise and hopefully it will end up decent when it gets closer to Beta and a full release.

Nether is a first-person urban survival gaming experience unlike any other. Nether forces players to make quick life-saving decisions in an unforgiving environment. In this post-apocalyptic urban world, death is waiting around every corner, at the top of high-rise buildings, and in the grasp of powerful teleporting creatures known as Nethers. To navigate this high-tension environment, players must use skill and craft in order to obtain food, weapons, supplies, and other resources necessary to survive in a desolate and dangerous city. Players will need to choose whether or not to team up with others or go at it solo against the Nethers, other players, and unpredictable, treacherous world objectives. In the end, players must decide if they will Prey or Pray.

Features:
  • A vast and vertical urban/city environment, where players can access nearly all of the buildings, including multi-story skyscrapers
  • First-person perspective creates a true survival experience
  • The need to fulfill a world objective, coupled with scarce resources encourages emergent and cooperative gameplay
  • Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
  • Survival needs, such as hunger and stamina that players will need to maintain to live
  • A variety of dangerous enemies with different skills and behaviors
  • New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
  • Safe zones that need to be defended from Nethers and where players can purchase, sell, trade and store items
  • Up to 64 players per game server
  • Single purchase, downloadable client allows full game access without subscription

• Minimum:
    • Processor: 2.4 GHZ Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 460/ATI Radeon HD 5850
    • DirectX: Version 9.0
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Windows Compatible Sound Card
Recommended:
    • Processor: 2.4 GHZ Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • DirectX: Version 9.0
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Windows Compatible Sound Card
TRAILERS

Live Action Trailer

Dark Drakan

Admin
I like the concept, its still very early in development at the moment but its looks nice and the animations are fairly fluid for an early alpha. Still lots of work to do on it and many things that need fixing and features that need introducing or fully fleshing out but looks very promising so far. Hopefully they look to some other games for some inspiration of how to do tension, atmosphere and risk/reward survival mechanics.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Well if it looks this well early on, then it can only get better.

So long as they don't try & introduce a hundred half baked features too soon rather than a handful of well thought out & fully fleshed out ideas introduced over a duration it should be decent. With lots of these survival games emerging lately quite a few are taking inspiration from each other. Just hope some don't just add some features because another similar title has them & for them to not do them as well or try & fit them systems in when they dont belong.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ok... just for fun, let's see how many games I can name off the top of my head that rely on "survivalism" (in semi-chronological order).

1. Oregon Trail

[huge time lapse in-between games because I can't think of any atm]

2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Subsistence

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

4. Day Z

5. Minecraft

6. Terraria

7. Rust

8. The Metro 2033 Series (much harder than say, Fallout 3, imho -- making it a "true" survival game with only hints at horror)

9. Tom Clancey's The Division

10. Nether

---------------------------------------------------------

I didn't list any western rpgs or "traditional" survival horror because you can manipulate the system and more-or-less "be fine" all the way through.

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Ok... just for fun, let's see how many games I can name off the top of my head that relies on "survivalism" (in semi-chronological order).

1. Oregon Trail

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

4. Day Z

5. Minecraft

6. Terraria

7. Rust

8. The Metro 2033 Series (much harder than say, Fallout 3, imho -- making it a "true" survival game with only hints at horror)

10. Nether

I didn't list any western rpgs or "traditional" survival horror because you can manipulate the system and more-or-less "be fine" all the way through.
You forgot about Fallout New Vegas which had a built-in "super-survivor" mode for the masochistic, hardcore players. Oh, and let's (not) forget I Am Alive. Vampire and other "must feed" games might count to, but in many cases, there were tons of human crun - er... I mean, resources for the player. There's also Dying Light and Don't Starve.

Anyway, this is sort of reminding me of Bear Grylls's Urban Survival except with less drinking of - ack! *gets dragged off by Bear's agents*

Note: I like Les Stroud more than Bear since Les is usually humorous and the fact he films by himself makes his work much more, I don't know, respectable? Anyway, Bear shows how to survive; Les survives while teaching you how to survive.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Survival Horror....MMO. Well, this goes along with Black Desert to be my most interested MMOs.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Ok... just for fun, let's see how many games I can name off the top of my head that relies on "survivalism" (in semi-chronological order).

1. Oregon Trail

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

4. Day Z

5. Minecraft

6. Terraria

7. Rust

10. Nether

Not all of those are actually true survival games, they just contain survival elements in them but there are more and more true survival style games that seem to be creating the popular genre of the moment currently. Im intrigued by online survival genre and having to do things you normally wouldnt in order to survive and keep your belongings & character (permadeath in DayZ being good example). Dying in this isnt as risky as DayZ as you do get to keep some items apparently, but in DayZ if you die you lose EVERYTHING. Unless you manage to refind your other characters corpse before someone else loots it.

Dark Drakan

Admin
March Update #1 - Tribe Intro, Nether AI, Persistent Leveling, New Weapons

A big update is here! We are excited to introduce the starting foundations of the Tribe system, in our next update, Tribes will be expanded to include a territory system where tribes battle it out over land!

When is the Update?
**Build is currently delayed** Monday, March 3rd.
We will update times as soon as developers and server team can track down the issues! You can also see updates on Twitter and Facebook.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/PlayNether
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PlayNether

Major Updates:

TRIBES! Band together with your friends to control your server with the introduction of tribes!
    • Sign up for a Tribe in the Lakeside Safe Zone - *Early Adopter Reward (Tribe Outfit) - if you signed up for Tribes with the last patch.
    • Keep in touch with your members using the Tribe Chat. (/tribe)
    • Outfit your character with your Tribe uniform!
    • Hunt Enemy Tribe Members to earn cash bounties!
Tribe Reputation: build up your renown with the new reputation system!

• Gain reputation by killing Nether and players in enemy tribes.
    • Lose reputation by killing your own Tribe Members and survivors that are friendly towards your tribe.
    • Lose too much reputation and your Tribe will kick you out!
    • Earn a positive reputation and you'll earn bonus account points for persistent perks!
Mantis Creature: Watch the skies and listen for wings. The new Mantis Nether has arrived!

• Mantis Nether has 3 new collectible parts that you can trade for new rewards at the Nether Hunters
All-Terrain Vehicle: Grab your friends and go hunting! Hop in this new 3 seater where you drive and your friends shoot!

Persistent account level ups: Looking for some permanence to your character? Check out the new persistent account level ups. Each level you earn grants you a bonus that you’ll never lose and get every time you spawn!

Survival Bonuses: In Nether, it’s survival of the fittest. There’s no better way to see who’s fit to stay alive than our new Survival bonuses! The longer you stay alive, the greater rewards you gain.

6 new weapons:

• Pipe Sniper: Craft the new Pipe sniper for long ranged hunting!
    • Heartburner – Using the Mantis’ incendiary gland, this gun explodes in a spray of Hunter Spikes!
    • Bonespur – Nether are dangerous and it’s about time you put that to use. This sword is cobbled together from Nether parts!
    • Skullcleaver – just keep saying “Stop hitting yourself!!” as you cut down nether with this axe made from their fallen corpses!
    • Shovel – You’ve dug enough graves, so now it’s time to fill them. Hey, this handy tool can do that too!
    • Gravedigger – Since the stock on this impromptu Rifle is made from a shovel, the gun pretty much named itself.
    • Added new Metal pipe scrap item
    • Added new wood block item
    • Craftable at any Vlad Gunsmith
Nether AI Improvements:

• Nether behaviors are now more befitting of the monsters they are.
    • Trying losing your attackers by ducking in buildings and hiding places they can’t see you to get them off your trail.
    • If you make a loud noise, get out of there!! If they don’t see you, they might just leave.
    • Take refuge in buildings if you’re afraid of those prying eyes and ears. Nether can’t hear so well through walls!
    • No place is safe anymore. Now the Outposts periodically come under attack! See if you can activate the Anti-Nether Devices to save the outpost without alerting the Nether!
Creature Mode:

• Make your way to the Safe Zone and purchase the Nether potion! Take up the reins as a crawler! Hunt those pesky survivors down and devour their bodies!
    • The crawler is quick and agile. He can run much faster and jump much higher than any survivor.
    • Teleport around using the Left Mouse. Watch your stamina! When you run out, you reappear.
    • Constant hunger - you're always hungry for more humans! Make sure to take them out whenever you find them or you'll starve!

Top Bottom