• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My personal thoughts and opinions on DmC

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well, since I've finished my first playthrough (including finding all keys, souls and secret doors) I think it's time to draw a verdict:

To begin with I was skeptic when the game was first announced, I was still on my personal" DMC3/4 high" ( don't really know how to actually call that lol, maybe fanboyism or something). That cooled of after a while. I followed the trailers and kept my opinions to myself, hence why I did not join these forums a long time ago.
Then when I finally had the chance to play the game at the Gamescom here in Germany, my personal hype for the game started to flow.
These few minutes I had with the game at that day presented me what I had been looking for and what neither DMC4 or Bayonetta could've given me (keep in mind that is how I feel, so it might not be an opinion/feeling you share). The game gave me fun, this crazy over the top but still in control feeling when fighting Enemies, which only DMC3 had given me, the game that got me into gaming to begin with!

I did not expect that, and was totally freaked out for the game. Well that was when I decided to join these forums and talk to people about this game.

Well now to the "thoughts" part of this topic:

The Positive aspects:

I started with the game on Devil Hunter, which proved to be no challenge at all, so I changed that to Nephelim after two missions. Overall I liked how storydriven the whole thing was, that kept me in my seat, I can see how to many cutscenes could become annoying after beating the level for the 10th time though. The environments stood really out to me, also they kept reminding me of El Shaddai and Alice: Madness Returns but with it's own twist, which is a good thing to be honest.

The Enemies grew more difficult as I progressed through the game, but it never really got to the point where it got frustrating ( I never died in a battle, besides the fight against Mundus, which was my own fault for being careless).

The Weapons are in fact the biggest Strengh in DmC for me. There is no "useless" weapon in Dantes Arsenal, everything has it's use and I kept trying new stuff, since the game really encouraged me to do so.

I also liked how the backtracking for Collectibles was handled and that I unlocked new Concept art frequently, something I missed in DMC4, unlockables...

The Negatives:

The Bosses are my biggest gripe with the game, but I don't really like big hulking bosses that much to be honest, Phantom Size is enough for me. The Bosses in this game are really fun and entertaining to watch, but all in all they don't prove any real challenge.

The Neutral points:

The lock on: One could think I would point that out as an obvious negative, but no, I had absolute zero problems with that in my entire run through the game. I can however see how people don't like it. Well to be honest, I don't really like the lock on in the Old series, it makes me feel like my character becomes stiff, I get that it's good for cycling around one enemy, well let's leave it at that.
How could we still keep the combat system and still lock on an enemy without doing it like in the old games?
I would say let the player press both dodge buttons at once, which tagets an enemy, you could cycle through enemies with the right stick instead of rotating the camera, that way the flow of the new combat system would still be intact.

Overall:

I liked the game, no real critics aside from the bosses, I'm looking forward to play through the other difficulties!

Azure King

I liked the gameplay, the soundtrack, the fights, the story was kinda generic but the whole angel/demon race has potential

I am still fan of the original series and i support it, though you have to also give this series a chance and some people must grow a pair of balls and stop whining like little girls

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I liked the gameplay, the soundtrack, the fights, the story was kinda generic but the whole angel/demon race has potential

I am still fan of the original series and i support it, though you have to also give this series a chance and some people must grow a pair of balls and stop whining like little girls

I'm absolutely on board with that, I like the old ones as much as pretty much everyone but really, if there had not been a reboot, some other drastic changes would have had to be made to ensure that the franchise stays alive. (Just my opinion though)

Azure King

I'd like to see a sequel of DmC in the future, not kidding

give it a better plot, more moves/skills and some better character development and it could be truly an interesting series

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I'm absolutely on board with that, I like the old ones as much as pretty much everyone but really, if there had not been a reboot, some other drastic changes would have had to be made to ensure that the franchise stays alive. (Just my opinion though)
Your right if they had not rebooted the series or shook it up in some way it would have run the risk of getting stale and boring or just becoming awful....like Resident Evil...
I know that after playing 4 I was not really excited for any type of DMC game.

Top Bottom