• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Lock on

SoulSolus

Not too much, but it can make certain moves easier to execute I find, especially with Vergil, however with Vergil again it can really screw you over as you flying kick your way down to hell.

phoenix-force411

I don't really use it since my fingers are already all cluttered up and I don't have fingers to spare to hold R1 the whole time. Also, the game tends to move the camera to give a wider view of the fight which aggros enemies when they come on screen. I don't really see the need for it very much, and since the combat was designed without the need for it, its not that useful like it was with the classics where lock-on was everything for combos and moves. As for lock-on with Vergil, that enemy that needs to be struck with a summoned sword to be able to hit and kill, screws up the lock-on. It makes Vergil attack the opposite direction and defeats the purpose of lock-on. All in all, I hardly use it. I only ever use it when there are less enemies or when I am in Training.

Goldsickle

From my experience playing action games, lock-on is only useful for keeping a specific enemy from going off-screen (a la Metal Gear Rising).

I have gradually disliked the idea of locking-on being a requirement to execute moves.
That kind of mechanic really showed its age in LDK mode of DMC4:SE.
You press R1 but 60% of the time, you're not locked-on to the intended enemy, so instead of executing a Streak, I let out a weak swing.

Vergil Crosse

do people actually use the new manual lock on? It was the one thing that bugged me the most on the original , but now I'm wondering if I wouldn't do better with out it considering the game was built to not include it?

The lock on for this game is meant more for style. It makes certain actions easier to execute and for Vergil's DT, it puts the doppelganger into permanent "Pursuit" or "Chase" mode. It also alleviates any "confusion" the game may have if you try to Angel Lift to an enemy in a location where there are multiple enemies. Again, all style. :) Hope this helps.

Top Bottom