• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I have to talk about Mad Max!!

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Mad_Max_2015_video_game_cover_art.jpg

Both the movie and the game managed to win my most anticipated of movie & game of 2015 slots with their latest trailers.

I'm not going to talk about the movie since I have to talk about the game, it amazes me how most games and long time game franchises have fallen so low these days while it's actually the licensed games that seem to making progress in gaming now!
Batman Arkham, Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation are amazing, original, innovative and are licensed games, that's incredible given that licensed games have often been utter crap over the years, now the roles seem to be switching, long time game franchises are loosing their identities, originality and are instead focusing on making themselves generic in order to sell more copies and original IPs aren't so original anymore while the movie based games are trying new and interesting things.

But back to Mad Max, this trailer impressed the hell out of me with every single second, seriously watch it!!

Every single part of that trailer shocked me over and over with just how amazing the game looked along with the fact that it's a movie based game, it looked incredibly in depth and well done, the open world gameplay looked incredibly fun while the combat looks like it's taken cues from the Arkham games, my favorite part of this trailer was how well done and impressive the world looked, especially that brief scene with Max fighting those enemies on the rope bridge, I liked that feeling of being up high and seeing the massive draw distance, it makes me think of all the amazing visually appealing environments we are going to get.
I also noticed how high the attention to detail was, the physics of the cars looked perfect, the vehicle damage looked perfect, the customization options were fantastic, the explosions looked almost identical to the explosions seen in the movie trailer, there is even apparently a survival mechanic which makes me even more excited!!
The only thing I didn't like was that the trailer made the game feel like a total sausage fest(the only hint of female presence was the voice at the beginning of the trailer), show me some scantily clad babes in this mad open world game and we're golden!

The Mad Max game clearly looks like it's had a massive load of thought put into it and is not just another crappy licensed cash grab and even better, not some story heavy bore, this game is clearly all about it's gameplay.

I'm hyped as hell for this game and I'm very hopeful it's as good as Avalanches past games.

What do you all think of the Mad Max game and new light in licensed games?​

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What can kill the open world experience is if there's like nothing to do. That was the problem with Shadow of Mordor, the combat was fun, but there was really nothing to do but follow the generic story and objectives.

And Mad Max, my take away from those films is that it really isn't all car chases and action set pieces. It kind of doesn't feel like Mad Max.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
What can kill the open world experience is if there's like nothing to do. That was the problem with Shadow of Mordor, the combat was fun, but there was really nothing to do but follow the generic story and objectives.

And Mad Max, my take away from those films is that it really isn't all car chases and action set pieces. It kind of doesn't feel like Mad Max.
I heard that Shadow of Mordor was loved for it's Nemesis system, I haven't played it as I don't like sword and sorcery games so I don't know the full mechanics of the system, but I heard that the Nemesis system was the game's main point of high praise and high replayability.
Same basic principle with Avalanches games really, with Just Cause 1 & 2 their high point of praise is that players just love to jump on top of airplanes and parachute off as they fly them into buildings and hookshot an innocent bystander to their car and drag them across the map JUST CAUSE they can, therefor putting hours and hours into the games without even touching the story mode, the Mad Max game appears to be doing it's own version of that, it's selling itself on it's fun gameplay and having a good fun world to mess around in.

Avalanches game's aren't really about giving you things to do in their sandbox worlds, they're more about making a world that you can just have dumb stupid fun in and do whatever the hell you want.
When you were a kid playing in your sandbox making sandcastles, you didn't do it because it gave you something to do, you did it because it was fun.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I heard that Shadow of Mordor was loved for it's Nemesis system, I haven't played it as I don't like sword and sorcery games so I don't know the full mechanics of the system, but I heard that the Nemesis system was the game's main point of high praise and high replayability.
Same basic principle with Avalanches games really, with Just Cause 1 & 2 their high point of praise is that players just love to jump on top of airplanes and parachute off as they fly them into buildings and hookshot an innocent bystander to their car and drag them across the map JUST CAUSE they can, therefor putting hours and hours into the games without even touching the story mode, the Mad Max game appears to be doing it's own version of that, it's selling itself on it's fun gameplay and having a good fun world to mess around in.

Avalanches game's aren't really about giving you things to do in their sandbox worlds, they're more about making a world that you can just have dumb stupid fun in and do whatever the hell you want.
When you were a kid playing in your sandbox making sandcastles, you didn't do it because it gave you something to do, you did it because it was fun.
The nemesis system is rather unique, but you may have interpreted what I said differently than what I meant. What I mean by things to do, is what you're kind of describing. I want the world to be alive, and I don't want to have to follow a linear story path. Open world games can still fall victim to this kind of structure. I'm the kind of guy that has an overactive imagination so I'd want substance and detail put in to many different aspects of the world so I can still have a substantial experience on my own. Get what I'm saying?

I mean, I'm the type of guy that has fun just exploring the landscapes with my own story in my head, seeing the world around me going about its business. It's the immersion aspect. I don't just want cool crap to be possible only when I'm following the campaign or side quest. The wasteland from Mad Max is a personality in itself if you know what I mean.

Captain Xin

The-Fist-of-the-North-Star-Game-Has-Been-Confirmed-2.jpg

I'm new to this series, but this kind of reminds me about" Fist of the North Star".

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome to have a game about that Anime using these mechanics?:D

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The-Fist-of-the-North-Star-Game-Has-Been-Confirmed-2.jpg

I'm new to this series, but this kind of reminds me about" Fist of the North Star".

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be awesome to have a game about that Anime using these mechanics?:D
Well, Fist of the North Star was heavily inspired by Mad Max. Their outfits are virtually identical and Jagi's mask is similar to Lord Humungus. He even uses a sawed off shotgun.

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
The nemesis system is rather unique, but you may have interpreted what I said differently than what I meant. What I mean by things to do, is what you're kind of describing. I want the world to be alive, and I don't want to have to follow a linear story path. Open world games can still fall victim to this kind of structure. I'm the kind of guy that has an overactive imagination so I'd want substance and detail put in to many different aspects of the world so I can still have a substantial experience on my own. Get what I'm saying?

I mean, I'm the type of guy that has fun just exploring the landscapes with my own story in my head, seeing the world around me going about its business. It's the immersion aspect. I don't just want cool crap to be possible only when I'm following the campaign or side quest. The wasteland from Mad Max is a personality in itself if you know what I mean.
I think I get what you mean and Mad Max does appear to be fully focused on exploration, survival and vehicular warfare and based on that trailer, the world does appear to be rather alive, with Max being able to be ambushed by marauders resulting in a badass vehicular battle, caught off guard by a massive storm and the need to scavenge supplies etc, though I think the really cool stuff like say that massive monster truck looking vehicle near the beginning of the trailer will be part of a mission otherwise there's no point in having missions, gotta have those cool main missions of course.
I do think Mad Max is going to have plenty of stuff to do that can equal a fun experience for people who just wanna screw around in the world, Avalanche is good at that.

Dark Drakan

Admin

Yeah there is no point having a sprawling open world if there isn't anything to do. I loved Shadow of Mordor but the world itself was pretty bland and dull. The combat, story and nemesis system were all high points but the open world itself not so much.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Love the melee omg , won't be getting it first day though as it is out the same day as phantom pain :( , although I could get both I guess

xMobilemux

Supporter 2014
2015 is the year of Mad Max for damn sure, this looks f**king amazing!!!

Oh what a game, WHAT A LOVELY GAME!!!!
(I seriously hope I can give this game that line as it's final verdict lol)

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Hoping to go and see it tomorrow as been very busy lately & haven't had the time.

Just saw this posted on Kotaku about the game.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Almost all open world games are "filling checkboxes". Far Cry 3 did it too, and yet it was fun gunplay mixed with fun exploration. If Mad Max is fun combat mixed with fun driving its more than enough. The only thing that worries me are framrate. We don't need another blight town on the hands :/

Dark Drakan

Admin
Taking Kotaku seriously is your first mistake.

Wasn't the only hands on to say very similar things (just first one I found to post) so hoping final product rectifies these first impressions. Hardest part about any wasteland game is making the world interesting & giving you plenty to do in it.

Top Bottom