• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I don't know why people are acting like the change is "too extreme"

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I was responding to you but I must have messed up on the reply. My bad.

Fanboys will just be fanboys. The change revolves around the entire concept of reboot and I commend NT for going forth with creative confidence despite being bashed at every turn from a very shallow and narrow minded fanbase that can mainly b!tch about trivial aspects of a hack n slash game. They retooled elements from the Devil May Cry series but that is expected. A series does not reboot if everything was going in the right direction. Your purist fanboy views do not speak or represent the entire fandom and you're acting like the idea to do a reboot was just for the hell of it. Take off your fanatical fanboy glasses and just look at all the factors that go in to making such a decision especially for a series like Devil May Cry.

Not being a fanboy at all. I always try to remain unbiased, and I judge things usually for what they are, as one should when reviewing video games. But a lot of people keep saying DMC needed to be rebooted because ''Dante was getting boring'' or ''Nero didn't make sense, therefore the series needed to be rebooted'', which is pure bullshit. If you can give me one truly factual reason for DMC to be rebooted that isn't based on an emotional response of ''I don't like it, therefore reboot'', great. Please do, but saying DMC can't continue due to plotholes is f u c k e r y. DMC made it to four iterations, and nobody cared about the plotholes then, and they didn't have to. It was accepted that DMC wasn't quite a consistent series. I think Ninja Theory did a good job, but their work is not to everyone's taste, and you can't say I or anybody else is wrong for feeling that way. There was demand for the original DMCs, so no, of course I didn't see the need to reboot it. I still don't. It was what it was, and it was fine. Turning the series into something else makes it, well, NOT DMC. At least not DMC in the traditional sense. It's not what many people signed up for. That means a lot of people will not be playing those games, and you and everybody else should deal with that.

When you feel the need to defend yourself by calling others names like 'fanboy', I'm done talking. This is supposed to be a rational conversation.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Yeah but I'm not talking about the TGS10 stuff, I'm talking about the now. And right now people are saying this game doesn't deserve the DMC name because they just do it for the sake of hating, in other words, blind hate. I'm trying to say that this game didn't really go that far by changing, it still has its gameplay even though it's a bit toned down, got its weapons, it has everything that a DMC game is all about. If anything I think it's just the character they are b*tching about, and I'm not just talking about the hair, I'm talking about the whole package. Personality, moves, all that.

This Dante is just like the DMC3 one, only a year older and a bit more douchier, that's all.
Your original post wasn't clear on what you meant.

I think you might want to check on the Ign Forums to getter a better explanation for your question as they seem to have some solid reasons for why they hate/dislike it.

For some fans, DmC is just a decent attempt at a Devil May Cry without exceeding expectations or bringing anything new to the table so it feels like a waste.

For me, its not about the changes to the story themselves, its more of a question if they were executed well to which I would say they weren't. I am not against the story of this game I just dont feel it deserves all the praise it gets and I agree with Macabre in the sense that it could have been so much better.

You yourself has said that he just the same as DMC3 but then to that I say what was the point of the reboot if they are just gonna repeat DMC3/DMC1?

So I feel at the end of the day people would have liked DmC as its own IP because it less stigma/more freedom and easier to judge on its own level.

DjRunza

Mercenary of Darkness
Relax GF9000000Returns, its just people's point of view because they have the right whether they wanna b*tching about it or give some great compliments over the DmC reboot game itself. Like it or not, its up to them, really. I even b*tching about COD: Black Ops 2 and other games and you can't do anything about it. Don't tell me you never b*tching about any of your favorite games or other games before?

AlchemistFromEden

Not being a fanboy at all. I always try to remain unbiased, and I judge things usually for what they are, as one should when reviewing video games. But a lot of people keep saying DMC needed to be rebooted because ''Dante was getting boring'' or ''Nero didn't make sense, therefore the series needed to be rebooted'', which is pure bullshit. If you can give me one truly factual reason for DMC to be rebooted that isn't based on an emotional response of ''I don't like it, therefore reboot'', great. Please do, but saying DMC can't continue due to plotholes is f u c k e r y. DMC made it to four iterations, and nobody cared about the plotholes then, and they didn't have to. It was accepted that DMC wasn't quite a consistent series. I think Ninja Theory did a good job, but their work is not to everyone's taste, and you can't say I or anybody else is wrong for feeling that way. There was demand for the original DMCs, so no, of course I didn't see the need to reboot it. I still don't. It was what it was, and it was fine. Turning the series into something else makes it, well, NOT DMC. At least not DMC in the traditional sense. It's not what many people signed up for. That means a lot of people will not be playing those games, and you and everybody else should deal with that.

When you feel the need to defend yourself by calling others names like 'fanboy', I'm done talking. This is supposed to be a rational conversation.
DMC needed to be rebooted because capcom said so, and not you or anyone else can tell them that their reasons for doing are wrong, its THEIR series, NOT yours, seriously, get over it, it was rebooted, capcom and NT have a really good relationship right now so they're probably gonna continue the series, and there's not really anything you can do to change that, tired of hearing the same things over and over

GF9000000Returns

Your original post wasn't clear on what you meant.

I think you might want to check on the Ign Forums to getter a better explanation for your question as they seem to have some solid reasons for why they hate/dislike it.

For some fans, DmC is just a decent attempt at a Devil May Cry without exceeding expectations or bringing anything new to the table so it feels like a waste.

For me, its not about the changes to the story themselves, its more of a question if they were executed well to which I would say they weren't. I am not against the story of this game I just dont feel it deserves all the praise it gets and I agree with Macabre in the sense that it could have been so much better.

You yourself has said that he just the same as DMC3 but then to that I say what was the point of the reboot if they are just gonna repeat DMC3/DMC1?

So I feel at the end of the day people would have liked DmC as its own IP because it less stigma/more freedom and easier to judge on its own level.

All of that is understandable, and yes I have seen some of the threads in IGN forums and trust me, I didn't wanna come back cuz they took things outta proportions.

Relax GF9000000Returns, its just people's point of view because they have the right whether they wanna b*tching about it or give some great compliments over the DmC reboot game itself. Like it or not, its up to them, really. I even b*tching about COD: Black Ops 2 and other games and you can't do anything about it. Don't tell me you never b*tching about any of your favorite games or other games before?

-__-

Come on man. You think I put up these two vids in my first post of this thread just for show? I b*tched about them too about how they went too far by darastically changing stuff around.

Fine then, you tell me why MANY people didn't like DMC4 as a whole then we mean business.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
DMC needed to be rebooted because capcom said so, and not you or anyone else can tell them that their reasons for doing are wrong, its THEIR series, NOT yours, seriously, get over it, it was rebooted, capcom and NT have a really good relationship right now so they're probably gonna continue the series, and there's not really anything you can do to change that, tired of hearing the same things over and over

Don't you think I know that? I don't care if you get tired of it. You don't have to listen to it, you fool. Seriously, getting on here reading every single reply, then whining when one of them isn't what you like to see? Don't you have anything better to do? These are forums, and people are going to talk about how they feel about things. Can't handle that, then get off the forums.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

And another thing, we are the people who buy their product. We are customers, and if they release a product that isn't to our liking, we can complain about it. We can tell them what it does right and what it does wrong. Honestly, I'm getting sick of people saying there's nothing we can do about anything. In this case, that may be true, but developers like Kojima Productions actually seem to listen to their fans. Don't want to hear what I have to say, then don't read it. Don't want to reply, then don't.

crush

Hmm...well I disagree with that.
I want to see games that the companies make regradless of what backlash comes out.
I mean...it's their job to make their own games with their own brains! It's like art.
We can say complaints, but again it's their own choice to accept it or not of course.
If they don't...then it means they have some other plans to dispense without our help.
We don't have to be saviours of games you know.

Adelaide

I really don't understand why there are so many complaints on the game. The graphics for one is amazing, so they changed Dante. He might be a sarcastic a-hole but still has a big heart under all that hard-a** personality. This Dante lives up to the name. The fighting is amazing!.

Terrutas

I really don't understand why there are so many complaints on the game. The graphics for one is amazing, so they changed Dante. He might be a sarcastic a-hole but still has a big heart under all that hard-a** personality. This Dante lives up to the name. The fighting is amazing!.
Yet again, Please bother reading the posts and realize that this is NOT just about the main character. Then say you don't understand why we complain so much. And the action is okay,animations are rather sluggish seeing as dante pauses between every hit and the only form of difficulty are color coded enemies.

Good Day.

Adelaide

Hmm...well I disagree with that.
I want to see games that the companies make regradless of what backlash comes out.
I mean...it's their job to make their own games with their own brains! It's like art.
We can say complaints, but again it's their own choice to accept it or not of course.
If they don't...then it means they have some other plans to dispense without our help.
We don't have to be saviours of games you know.

I agree. If they go by what the fans want, then it doesn't give them a chance to use they're own creativity.

Yet again, Please bother reading the posts and realize that this is NOT just about the main character. Then say you don't understand why we complain so much. And the action is okay,animations are rather sluggish seeing as dante pauses between every hit and the only form of difficulty are color coded enemies.

Good Day.

Still it's a good game, what's done is done. Don't like how the game is designed then don't play it. Simple as that. Not here about to make arguments or fight we all have our opinions that's just mine. No need to continually correct me.

Still it's a good game, what's done is done. Don't like how the game is designed then don't play it. Simple as that. Not here about to make arguments or fight we all have our opinions that's just mine. No need to continually correct me.

Good Day.

And to add to it. I respect your response.

Terrutas

How am I "continually correcting" you when that was your first post?

And lol,if you're not here to argue you'd best leave now. Just saying,this forum is FULL of arguments,since it's a forum and all.

And so what if what's done is done? I have the right to complain as much as I want,and you're not going to stop me.

Adelaide

How am I "continually correcting" you when that was your first post?

And lol,if you're not here to argue you'd best leave now. Just saying,this forum is FULL of arguments,since it's a forum and all.

And so what if what's done is done? I have the right to complain as much as I want,and you're not going to stop me.

Not saying I'm stopping you buddy, hey argue and complain to your hearts content. I respect that. And your right complaints and arguments go on forums.

Ters

I agree. If they go by what the fans want, then it doesn't give them a chance to use they're own creativity.

thats the most asinine thing i've ever heard

you know video games are a commercial product? how do the fans figure into this glorious creative vision of yours?

do they just have to buy everything because all games are special in their own way? or does money not figure in at all? i guess the games in this theoretical business model would be funded on a budget of rainbows and good vibes

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

The thing is, I agree with you. But my problem with DmC is not that it's a product I don't like. It's the fact that it used to be something else. In my opinion, video games are indeed like art. But you don't see Van Gogh turn into a different painter all of a sudden, do you? Their work remains constant, in a way. I don't expect a realist painter to suddenly paint surreal pictures.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Fine then, you tell me why MANY people didn't like DMC4 as a whole then we mean business.

1349483996677_zps00c9ea90.gif

Devil May Cry 3 saves the DMC series from what is possibly one of the worst received sequels in all of gaming history, it finally concreted Dante's personality into a form most fans now consider the staple for his character, it retooled the battle system into something that was both deep and fulfilling to the point where many players would go out of their way to compete with each other in terms of pure style and of course it brought us pre-Nelo Angelo Vergil, a character that, if you listen closely, you can still hear fangirls squee'ing over.

Then comes Devil May Cry 4. A game that knowingly implements the "cardinal sin" of changing the main character from the established favourite to the "Not-as-badass-as-Dante" Nero (Who i personally as a character mind you), Konami did this a few years ago with Snake in MGS2 and i don't think i need to really mention how ****y fans got at the time (For those who don't know? Hoo boy. It wasn't pretty)

tumblr_lrp9koXCZq1qkm79mo1_500.jpg

These are things that did not help matters.

But that's not all DMC4 did, if that were the case people would have gotten over it by now just like most MGS fans have done. No, the game is quite obviously unfinished as half the game is a giant backtrack through levels and bosses with little more then roadblocks to pad out the game time and this is something you're expected to do after finally gaining control of Dante, who has quite the variety of moves on hand but most found the additional freedom of weapon/style swapping too much to handle or just done in a way that makes changing to what you ACTUALLY want to change to far too troublesome.

All in all DMC4, while it has it's merits, isn't generally thought of fondly because it doesn't feel like it's finished or as easy to control as DMC3 was.

Does this answer your question at all?

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
1349483996677_zps00c9ea90.gif

Devil May Cry 3 saves the DMC series from what is possibly one of the worst received sequels in all of gaming history, it finally concreted Dante's personality into a form most fans now consider the staple for his character, it retooled the battle system into something that was both deep and fulfilling to the point where many players would go out of their way to compete with each other in terms of pure style and of course it brought us pre-Nelo Angelo Vergil, a character that, if you listen closely, you can still hear fangirls squee'ing over.

Then comes Devil May Cry 4. A game that knowingly implements the "cardinal sin" of changing the main character from the established favourite to the "Not-as-badass-as-Dante" Nero (Who i personally as a character mind you), Konami did this a few years ago with Snake in MGS2 and i don't think i need to really mention how ***** fans got at the time (For those who don't know? Hoo boy. It wasn't pretty)

tumblr_lrp9koXCZq1qkm79mo1_500.jpg

These are things that did not help matters.

But that's not all DMC4 did, if that were the case people would have gotten over it by now just like most MGS fans have done. No, the game is quite obviously unfinished as half the game is a giant backtrack through levels and bosses with little more then roadblocks to pad out the game time and this is something you're expected to do after finally gaining control of Dante, who has quite the variety of moves on hand but most found the additional freedom of weapon/style swapping too much to handle or just done in a way that makes changing to what you ACTUALLY want to change to far too troublesome.

All in all DMC4, while it has it's merits, isn't generally thought of fondly because it doesn't feel like it's finished or as easy to control as DMC3 was.

Does this answer your question at all?

Just bought MGS2 for my PS2 today...I kinda like Raiden )=

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Just bought MGS2 for my PS2 today...I kinda like Raiden )=

I was speaking as a general "fan-dumb" consensus and as i said most people have gotten over it by now, at the time people just weren't expecting it (Despite the fact that nobody was trying to hide the fact that it was going to happen)

I'm actually assuming though that the only reason people got over it was because when they think of Raiden as the main character of MGS2, they aren't given enough time to be reminded of whatever reason they have for disliking him before being reminded of:

zYMKk.jpg

Which, i won't lie, just rustles my jimmies.

ZeroLove

I was speaking as a general "fan-dumb" consensus and as i said most people have gotten over it by now, at the time people just weren't expecting it (Despite the fact that nobody was trying to hide the fact that it was going to happen)

I'm actually assuming though that the only reason people got over it was because when they think of Raiden as the main character of MGS2, they aren't given enough time to be reminded of whatever reason they have for disliking him before being reminded of:

zYMKk.jpg

Which, i won't lie, just rustles my jimmies.

This is so true. XD
I hated Rose...

Top Bottom