• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How would you handle a DMC "rewrite"

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Something was brought up earlier in another topic about a potential DMC series "rewrite" that I felt would be a good idea in the end to possibly mend the fences between both sides of the fanbase that has been split since the release of DmC.

The core basis of it could be the same (such as it having the original Dante) but with a completely different origin story that could spawn sequels that are actually all connected in a coherent fashion.

We would could have the old Dante back but with a possible new and more coherent storyline that has depth to it.

Most the complaints I see from people concerning DMC and why they lean more towards DmC is that DMC had inconsistent plotholes in its storyline not to mention Dante's apparent personality changes between each installment.

A rewrite to the series could fix this and possibly sway those fans interest back towards the original Dante and games involving him.

I personally would have a origin game staring him as Tony Redgrave at first (eventually changing revealing his real name towards the end) and I would keep is attitude from DMC1 intact which I felt was is best out of all his appearances and I would also have him in a professional yet cool looking Demon Hunter outfit akin DMC2.

I would involve a main villain that actually has some complexity and depth to his motives and also make it to where he is a complete challenge for Dante as well as his minions/bosses.

After all the story will be better IMO if Dante isn't just TO OP for the game like DMC2 for instance.

There isn't much I would change about the gameplay aspect of it since I love it as is, but bringing in new weapons and gameplay mechanics would be a given to keep things fresh while also keeping whats loved in place.

So in the end my question is, how would YOU handle a possible rewrite to the original DMC mythos?

And what would be essential for it to properly succeed?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Long have I waited for this day.

• Detach some of the unnecessary anime elements of the series, and incorporate the Western tone and style that Kamiya had originally envisioned for the series. (This can be seen in the RE-style tone of the weapons and locales in the first game, as well as Dante's own 80's action movie-mannerisms in DMC1 and the novels).
  • Have Dante operate his demon-hunting business as secretively as possible (as in, not having a giant, glowing neon sign reading “Devil May Cry” on the store front), and work under the alias of Tony Redgrave whenever he’s out in public.
  • Remove the Gary-Stu aspect of Dante. In essence, write Dante as a more fallible character with a sizeable number of personal flaws that make him more human as a character, but give him redeeming qualities to make up for them.
  • Detail all of Dante’s powers, but most importantly, his weaknesses.
  • Retain the stylish and somewhat egotistical nature of the character, but have it better-executed for the sake of digest (i.e., less flamboyant cheesiness and more self-aware), and most of all MAKE SURE IT DOESN’T DOMINATE HIM AS A CHARACTER like it does in DMC3 and DMC4.
  • Improve on his interactions with other characters (the DMC anime tried to do this, but didn’t end up handling it with even a shred of well-written competence)
  • Give him a reason for hunting demons outside of Eva's death. Yes, I’m well aware that’s an established part of the lore, but it only really justifies going after Mundus, rather than the entire Demon Underworld. That, and…it’s a little bit cliché. Just a little.
  • Tone down just how powerful he is, to ensure the following: a) there’s an actual risk factor to the death-defying obstacles he does instead of granting him utter invincibility. b) Have him feel pain, and experience some level of endurance in the harsher fights he has to do. c) have him experience defeat and give him the opportunity to grow more powerful, which would add a more daunting sense of power to his enemies instead of the underwhelming knowledge that Dante is powerful enough to curb-stomp them anyway, like the original series does. d) make it so there are more powerful characters than Dante, ones that he’ll never reach in terms of scope and strength…so that he’s not the most powerful being in existence, and he has to rely on other forces outside of himself.
  • Depict the War of 2000 years ago as well as Sparda’s history in full detail, and expand on the mythos of Sparda and the Demonic Underworld, so that it’s not just some vague excuse for demonic threats to keep appearing for the sake of plot continuation.
  • Make his relationship with Vergil something greater than “the Doppelganger version of me with a blue coat and a different hairstyle”, by developing Vergil himself.
  • Giving Vergil’s evil nature some emotional weight by alluding to him and Dante actually having a brotherly relationship at some point (more than just a single line, like “Jackpot”), and expanding on their relationship as siblings to make their quarrels seem a little more suspenseful.
  • Know where the stylish, over-the-top nature should NOT impose or violate the serious moments (for a case-study on how not to do this, see also DMC3, DMC4, and DMC: The Animated Series)
  • Give other characters some level of importance and enough room in the story so that they can stand on their own two feet, instead of being tools of aid for Dante to use.
  • Introduce a mentor for Dante to learn from—who might also serve as a father-figure in Sparda’s absence. Although, someone like Lady could be a possible mentor for Lady as well, since she’s good at pointing out his flaws and mistakes, which is exactly what a teacher does. It would also provide many opportunities for the two of them to butt heads and grow closer as allies. She could also be the person to calm Dante down, or be the voice of reason whenever he’s being hot-headed or irrational…but most importantly, she can be the figure that lectures Dante if he messes up, or does something out of his league.
  • Have Trish embrace her demonic nature a little bit more, and make her the demon that Dante could never capture or defeat. This might even lead to a love-hate relationship between them (like Selena Kyle and Bruce Wayne).
  • Give Nero his own personality, instead of making him I-Can’t-Believe-It’s-Not-Dante. Concentrate on what makes him different from Dante, and expand upon it. Make him rely solely on rage and malice, where Dante relies on being calm and cool. Make him scoff at the stylish and egotistical nature Dante has as a person, and make him more down-to-earth and cynical. Where Dante should be nimble and wily, make Nero brutal and imposing. In essence, making him less like the Dante-wannabe, and make him more like the Dante-skeptic. He might even be a suitable rival for the story arc.
  • Provide a love interest, or other such character close enough to Dante for him to care about. This would grant him a chance to invest in a character outside himself, and even more importantly, give him something to lose if he fails.
  • Craft a villain that is not only a threat to Dante, but to both humans and demons as well. Make an insurmountable force that doesn’t necessarily feed off of some untied loophole that Sparda left behind for Dante to clean up. But make the threat a character first, not a Boss first…don’t make him/her the text-book definition of “evuhl” like Arkham or Vergil, or some empty and unexplained entity like Arius or Mundus. Give him or her a personality, and a way for us, the audience, to understand why he or she is doing the things she’s doing.
Some of these changes may seem drastic, even heretical given how some of them alter staple aspects of the series. But a lot of elements of the series were and are products of their time. A lot of them haven’t aged particularly well, and the storyline of the series has already fallen swiftly into abysmal decay as a result. The characters are one-dimensional and underdeveloped, the mythology is vague, the plots are full of holes and inconsistencies, and Dante’s character has been dominated and soiled by the needless emphasis on his over-the-top nature and absurd overpowering.

These are the changes that I would implement if I were handling the rewrite. Maybe not all of them are what should happen, but they’re all most definitely what I would want to happen.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well here's a few ideas.
  • For Dante: I want to create Dante more close to New Dante and the world of DmC. In that essence I want Dante in this rewrite to have a bit of a more edgier streak. He smokes, he drinks, he's a bastard who brings more pain then prevents it. He's still cocky and has sardonic one-liners to throw but they aren't cheesy and are more grounded towards the situation going on. He lives in a society who hate him and want nothing to do with him. Literally these people would rather be slaughtered by a demon then to call Dante to help him. Because Dante has a streak of getting people killed while killing demons. He earns terrible pay due to the damage he causes in his battles and as such takes refuge in sleazy hotels who will keep him. He still has Vergil as a brother and his mother and father are still dead, however his father's death is not 100%. His appearance consist of his hair being cut cropped short and white. The blue eyes as well as a bit of stubble on his chin like with DMC4 Dante. However he's not super attractive. He's pretty good-looking but not model gorgeous with a baby shaved face and anachronistic appearance. His outfit would look a bit like this
    tumblr_mgwdssEj2y1r82muqo2_250.gif
    The jacket would of course be longer (touch his knees) and more red. He'd also have finger less gloves of leather. Basically he won't be a model, upstanding devil hunter, but rather a brash and down-n-dirty devil hunter who doesn't wear the flashy clothes and is more down to Earth. For my Dante, he's not extremely superpowered. He doesn't shoot Earth shattering sonic waves or break mountains with his fist. His powers are practicle but powerful with pure skill, training, and a good regiment. Master gunsman with his twin pistols (designed as desert egales but still Ebony & Ivory) and masterswordsman.(Rebellion still carries its skull look) He still carries his mastery of other weapons but it's the weapons themselves that transfer their knowledge on how to use them to him. If with any normal weapon, he's be trash with it. He still eats pizza, and drinks beer, but he will not, I repeat, WILL NOT like strawberry sundaes. (it was stupid in the anime and is still stupid now) also my Dante will be bisexual and flirt with both men and women every now and then but it depends on the look of them.
  • For the world, I want it to be a mix between the real world, heaven, hell, purgatory/ limbo and the astral plane. Heaven is the "no entry" zone for Dante, while hell for him is the "stay way" zone. However he goes there anyway due to demon activity that could put the whole world in jeopardy. Limbo is like it is in DmC in shaping and creating it's own living form and destroying the demon-ruled realm. Not only do demons spawn in the human realm, but in limbo as well. The astral plane is Dante's way to recover word from the spirits who have reached a higher form of enlightenment on their time on Earth and Dante uses that as a means to travel to heaven or hell, or to speak with spirits. For the human world, no one likes Dante. Not even the government of the city he's in likes Dante. They all treat him as a threat just as big as the demons. This is why he prefers to not attract a lot of attention to him. Only few actually do call for his help willingly but it's so very few.
  • For the demons, some will be mindless and some will be smart. Some will even fuse into the human world but will be careful not to activate themselves in public eyes. Some work as a fully run government over the humans from the shadows, having connections to our governments and deciding rulings for the human race. And surprisingly the world was at peace through this law. No wars, humanity's crime at an all-time low, and all was well with the demons ruling in the shadows. But really it's a front to take over the world and becoming overlords with the humans as slaves. But Dante doesn't want that because he still hates demons and would prefer demons not rule over him. He doesn't really care how the human race reacts, as long as he can kill demons and save humanity.
  • The story will be of Dante basically fighting demons and saving the world. Different challengers will come and each one more powerful then the next, so Dante has to rise to the occasion and do what he needs to do. He'll also be searching for his father in the city since that's what the spirits in the astral plane told him after feeling Sparda's essence all over the city itself. Meanwhile, Vergil will lurk in the shadows with his own agenda. They're not on good terms and are rather each other's enemy, but still have a mutual respect for one another.
but this is stuff so far.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@ToCool74 TBH a rewrite doesnt seem that different than a reboot so a distinction should be made.

Are you referring to some like Rachet and Clank 2014 which is a redo of the original ps2 game to be in line with the movie franchise for the ps4 or like Maverick Hunter X which were the megaman X games redone with a more coherent plot?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
No retarded try-hard 'edgy' bullcr@p. No smoking 'because it's cool', no cursing 'because it's cool', no ''not giving a **** because it's cool''. That's just emo, edgy sh*t. What's cool doesn't come from your name ''My name, btw, is Dante! Heeeerp!!!''. What is cool comes from your actions and verbal retorts.
And no Illuminati stories... so done with that. I don't want it to turn into a western teen's wet conspiracy dream. Devil May Cry is about religious themes, good vs evil, tolerance and acceptance, hero vs antihero, etc etc.

Dante should have a long red coat (after all, the point of it was to make him look heroic -- it's like a cape).
Dante should look more like his DMC2 incarnation than the DMC1 version. Red coat and black or grey pants, because that works better as a contrast to the red. A DMC3 look would be terrible... I don't want to have to look at somebody's pecs all the time. And no friggin fingerless gloves --they are useless clothing items and only meant to look 'rough' or 'edgy' -- they should just be biker gloves like in DMC1/DMC4. Also, biker boots, just like Dante has always had.

But I don't know if I would rewrite what's already happened. Nobody was waiting for a redo of DMC1+DMC3 like DmC did, and I don't think anybody's waiting for a redo of everything. I know people like Vergil, so maybe bringing him back somehow is a good idea... but I don't see how that would work, as Nero pretty much uses his soul with the Yamato.

In fact, I would just continue from DMC4 or DMC2 onward. In that case, Nero is the protagonist to go with, because Dante's story has already been exhausted: I mean, it was pretty much already exhausted when he beat the king of the demon world, Mundus, in DMC1. Beating the devil/God is as far as Dante will go.
Nero can be a fine character if they can explain his origins (and his arm) and make him a little more awesome, and give him his own REAL Devil Trigger. He can fight whoever he wants, but I guess a reincarnated Mundus could be interesting... but him beating Mundus should be the final story. Before that, he should maybe fight some former friends of Sparda or something. Or he could go through the circles of hell, needing to beat demonic generals... whatever. As long as there's a decent plot, I'm good.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well I don't have time to write a long post, so I'll post the most important thing for me: I don't agree with some of WolfOD's points, but I do on one of them: make Dante less OP. So far, the only ones who were a real threat to him were Mundus and Vergil, and even with those, the showdown felt a bit rushed. I'd like to have this developed better.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''incorporate the Western tone and style that Kamiya had originally envisioned for the series.''
This is wrong. Kamiya had envisioned DMC just like DMC1 was; that is, WITH mostly anime elements, and some slight western elements. Just look at the games he made after DMC1, like Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2, and MGR. Do they look western to you? No, the whole point of the games he makes is that they are anime-like. These ''unnecessary anime elements'' have been part of the series since day one. I know you don't like typical anime (in fact, I remember you calling people who liked DMC3 and basic anime 'drooling idiots' and that you despise it), but get over it.

''Write Dante as a more fallible character with a sizeable number of personal flaws that make him more human as a character, but give him redeeming qualities to make up for them.''
That is a pretty good point, but I don't want DMC to become some annoying try-hard melodrama. The stress should lie on the gameplay, nothing should detract from that unnecessarily. ''Detail his weaknesses especially'' is not a good idea in my book. I want to play as a character who has flaws, but isn't some a-hole moron. He's supposed to be like a superhero underneath his flaws.

''Retain the stylish and somewhat egotistical nature of the character,''
He was only truly egotistical in DmC. In the old DMCs, I remember him joking once that ''he didn't look that bad'' in DMC3, but that was for the sake of joking and annoying his enemy. In DmC he also apparently condones murder (what happened to 'demons can be people too'?). He laughed at the death of Mundus's child like some depraved ass.

Make his relationship with Vergil something greater than “the Doppelganger version of me with a blue coat and a different hairstyle”, by developing Vergil himself.
There was nothing wrong with DMC3 Vergil as a character. DMC3 only had a few cutscenes, and didn't really get to say much about him or his background, because... wait for it... it was ONE game with Dante and Lady as the main characters. Aside from that, I think DMC needs to move on. Not Vergil again, not Mundus again... it's getting tired.

''Know where the stylish, over-the-top nature should NOT impose or violate the serious moments (for a case-study on how not to do this, see also DMC3, DMC4, and DMC: The Animated Series)''
Another case of somebody claiming something is objectively bad, when it's their opinion.

Craft a villain that is not only a threat to Dante, but to both humans and demons as well. Don’t make him/her the text-book definition of “evuhl” like Arkham or Vergil,
Arkham isn't the textbook definition of evil. He did kill his wife to gain demonic power, but he was a good guy at first, and lost himself to evil at some point. The ''textbook definition'' is somebody like Sanctus in DMC4, who doesn't have a conscience and just does things for the sake of doing evil for his own benefit, and harming others.

Aside from that, I agree with most, if not all of your points.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
Craft a villain that is not only a threat to Dante, but to both humans and demons as well. Don’t make him/her the text-book definition of “evuhl” like Arkham or Vergil,
Arkham isn't the textbook definition of evil. He lost his wife, and presumably wanted demonic power to do good or even bring back his wife and/or protect Lady. He was a good guy at first, and lost himself to evil at some point. The ''textbook definition'' is somebody like Sanctus in DMC4, who doesn't have a conscience and just does things for the sake of doing evil for his own benefit, and harming others.

Huh? Did you get something mixed up?

Arkham killed his wife, Lady told us that, this was in fact the reason why she went into that tower, to kill the man that turned her life into hell. Also Lady was just a tool on the quest to obtain demon powers for him. Okay, he might have been good some long long time ago, it was possible living in that creepy castle and researching demon related documents corrupted him, but he was quite selfish by the events of DMC3 manga and the game.

It was actually Sanctus who became corrupted in his desire to protect his people. The Metal Gear Savior was built to protect humanity against demon threat.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Huh? Did you get something mixed up?

Arkham killed his wife, Lady told us that, this was in fact the reason why she went into that tower, to kill the man that turned her life into hell. Also Lady was just a tool on the quest to obtain demon powers for him. Okay, he might have been good some long long time ago, it was possible living in that creepy castle and researching demon related documents corrupted him, but he was quite selfish by the events of DMC3 manga and the game.

It was actually Sanctus who became corrupted in his desire to protect his people. The Metal Gear Savior was built to protect humanity against demon threat.
That's true, I forgot about that. I think it was said he killed her in order to gain demonic power. Still, my point stands: he is not the textbook definition of evil, he probably had good plans at some point, and never intended to do evil things. He just became power-hungry after a while.

No, Sanctus's plan was to take over the human world by turning all humans into demons (the ascension ceremony). He felt that demons were the humans' next step in evolution... as even Credo literally states himself. Sanctus's good nature was just a ruse.

Viper

Premium
That's true, I forgot about that. I think it was said he killed her in order to gain demonic power. Still, my point stands: he is not the textbook definition of evil, he probably had good plans at some point, and never intended to do evil things. He just became power-hungry after a while.

No, Sanctus's plan was to take over the human world by turning all humans into demons (the ascension ceremony). He felt that demons were the humans' next step in evolution... as even Credo literally states himself. Sanctus's good nature was just a ruse.

*scratches head* Might have been thinking about Credo when writing that about Sanctus. They both are in the "end justifies the means" group, but Credo still seems to do it to help humanity, while yes, Sanctus only thinks about a world where he is on top.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
*scratches head* Might have been thinking about Credo when writing that about Sanctus. They both are in the "end justifies the means" group, but Credo still seems to do it to help humanity, while yes, Sanctus only thinks about a world where he is on top.
Yup. I think the original plan was simply to use the Savior to protect humanity, but that eventually turned into world domination.
I mean, why else would Credo try to foil Sanctus's plan? Just because he ''used Kyrie''? It seemed like Kyrie could be released at any time, since she was just a prisoner used to lure Nero. Once Dante or Nero was caught and used as the catalyst, Kyrie would be useless to the Savior.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
First off, I'm actually both surprised and really happy that you do agree with some of my points. That's a massive relief...

Things don't usually go this well.
''incorporate the Western tone and style that Kamiya had originally envisioned for the series.''
This is wrong. Kamiya had envisioned DMC just like DMC1 was; that is, WITH mostly anime elements, and some slight western elements. Just look at the games he made after DMC1, like Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2, and MGR. Do they look western to you? No, the whole point of the games he makes is that they are anime-like. These ''unnecessary anime elements'' have been part of the series since day one. I know you don't like typical anime (in fact, I remember you calling people who liked DMC3 and basic anime 'drooling idiots' and that you despise it), but get over it.
Kamiya takes influence from a lot of things when crafting his games, not just anime. There were anime elements in DMC1, mostly in Dante's attire and flashy moves, but a lot of the game's emphasis was on the Gothic locales and medieval backdrops...two very Western aspects of the game. So much so, that Team Little Devils traveled to Europe to study castles and medieval architecture. You can even see the heavy Gothic influences on some of the concept artwork for the game.

And speaking of concept artwork, Dante himself was going to have a more Western look as well. You could argue that such appearences would by the byproduct of DMC's nature as a Resident Evil game first, but even the clothes he ends up wearing in the game seems a lot more toned-down and more Western in nature than some of the exaggerated attire he wears in say, DMC3 or DMC4.

You're right about the anime element in DMC being a staple, but it didn't dominate Dante or Devil May Cry as an essence like it did in later games, under different direction. Dante lived and worked in a city in America. He wielded mostly Western weapons and firearms. He even had the mannerisms of some 80's action hero of Western cinema. It's not about my personal views on the current state of anime (notice I said current---because contrary to popular belief, I actually love manga, and avidly watched anime at some point), it's about things that were the centerpiece of the game in the first place. There were Western and anime elements, but there was a rational balance. Nowadays, the anime aspect has dominated the tone and characterization of the series.

''Write Dante as a more fallible character with a sizeable number of personal flaws that make him more human as a character, but give him redeeming qualities to make up for them.''
That is a pretty good point, but I don't want DMC to become some annoying try-hard melodrama.
Neither do I. But a character's strength is only further defined as his weaknesses, and Dante barely has any. He doesn't face any kind of consequences, risks, obstacles, personal problems, or anything that would remotely put him in a state of concern.

Having personal flaws is the basic

The stress should lie on the gameplay, nothing should detract from that unnecessarily.
Seeing as how the topic is about rewriting the game's story and mythos, I think it's safe to assume this hypothetical game Jak is proposing has some emphasis on the story. Besides, it's not like the recent wave of DMC games have solely emphasized on gameplay.

If story wasn't an important factor, I'm pretty sure Capcom wouldn't put a sizeable portion of the game's budget into motion capturing and consulting American script-writers to produce over two hours of cutscenes per game, with Kobayashi stating in video interviews about "crafting a cinematic experience with dynamic storytelling and character interactions that could easily be cut from the game, and made into a standalone movie."
I want to play as a character who has flaws, but isn't some a-hole moron. He's supposed to be like a superhero underneath his flaws.
Stupidity isn't the only flaw a character can suffer from. Ignorance is a flaw. Pride is a flaw. Self-confidence is a flaw Dante already has, but seemingly never pays a price for it.

It's funny that you compare Dante to a superhero, because most superheroes are characterized by their personal flaws. Look at Todd McFarlane's Spawn, for example---he's morally-ambiguous, cold, even selfish in some ways. But he makes up for these flaws by admitting he has them, and by heeding the advice of his mentor. And the irony? He's just as superpowerful and demonic in nature as Dante. He's just characterized a lot better because he has things about him needs to improve...versus Dante, who's depicted so blissfully perfect that he has no personal flaws to remedy or overcome.

''Retain the stylish and somewhat egotistical nature of the character,''
He was only truly egotistical in DmC. In the old DMCs, I remember him joking once that ''he didn't look that bad'' in DMC3, but that was for the sake of joking and annoying his enemy. In DmC he also apparently condones murder (what happened to 'demons can be people too'?). He laughed at the death of Mundus's child like some depraved ass.

I'm not going to go into the whole "DMC vs. DmC" discussion, because that's not what this thread is about.

When I referred to Dante as "egotistical", it wasn't in a condescending way. Dante has always percieved himself as something of a lady-killer. He makes sly and classy jives at female characters, and emphasize about good-looking he is. It's a part of his character, and it sometimes yields funny results.

That's why I said retain that part of his character. You know retain means "keep", right?

Make his relationship with Vergil something greater than “the Doppelganger version of me with a blue coat and a different hairstyle”, by developing Vergil himself.
There was nothing wrong with DMC3 Vergil as a character. DMC3 only had a few cutscenes, and didn't really get to say much about him or his background, because... wait for it... it was ONE game with Dante and Lady as the main characters. Aside from that, I think DMC needs to move on. Not Vergil again, not Mundus again... it's getting tired.
I never said anything about Vergil being the villain. He could easily play a completely different role in the rewrite. The problem is that most of his personality and traits ride off of being Dante's opposite, rather than being a strong and defined character on his own. Even in a 2-hour cinematic jaunt like DMC3 (which did not have just a few cutscenes by the way...DMC1 had a few cutscenes, totaling to maybe half-an-hour's worth), it had enough time to present Dante and Lady as characters...I don't see why they couldn't have done the same for Vergil.

It's not a glaring issue, so much as a missed opportunity...especially given how popular Vergil is in the DMC fanbase. It'd be nice if we got a proper character study of him...but, as you said, the priority in DMC3 was Dante and Lady. Capcom themselves could give Vergil a better role in a future DMC, maybe explore his character a little bit more...but that rides on the vain hope that Capcom will release another DMC.

''Know where the stylish, over-the-top nature should NOT impose or violate the serious moments (for a case-study on how not to do this, see also DMC3, DMC4, and DMC: The Animated Series)''
Another case of somebody claiming something is objectively bad, when it's their opinion.
I never claimed that this element was objectively horrible, I just said it needed improvement.

Even if we don't see eye-to-eye on most things, can we at least admit that even if they aren't absolutely horrible, they can also handled be significantly better as well?

Arkham isn't the textbook definition of evil. He did kill his wife to gain demonic power, but he was a good guy at first, and lost himself to evil at some point. The ''textbook definition'' is somebody like Sanctus in DMC4, who doesn't have a conscience and just does things for the sake of doing evil for his own benefit, and harming others.
I agree with you 100% about Sanctus. He is the textbook definition of a cliche villain...unfortunately, both Arkham and Vergil are dragged down into the same swirling nexus of two-dimensional and unexplained motives.

Aside from that, I agree with most, if not all of your points.
Again, that's good to hear. Keep in mind, that there are a lot of things about DMC that I want to stay...things that, regrettably, were lost in the formation of the reboot. If I were helming a rewrite for the series, I would preserve a lot of the core elements of DMC, especially Shimomura Yuji's excellent choreography, and of course, the ballistic blend of metal and Gothic chorus in the soundtrack.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
@ToCool74 TBH a rewrite doesnt seem that different than a reboot so a distinction should be made.

But I explained what I meant here,

The core basis of it could be the same (such as it having the original Dante) but with a completely different origin story that could spawn sequels that are actually all connected in a coherent fashion.

Like for instance are you a Fullmetal Alchemist fan by any chance?

Fullmetal Alchemist the original series shares the same characters and looks that the newer Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood does although both differ extremely at a certain point in the anime.

The story between the 2 diverge at a certain point and thus becomes 2 completely different stories but with the same basis such as character appearances,style, and powers.

There is a clear difference to a reboot which completely changes 90% of everything like for instance the world,character appearance, and powers of the main characters such as DmC which pretty much only kept the name of some of the characters and weapons/items/attacks.

While a rewrite would keep the core basis the same (such as Dante's appearance and world that he lives in) but would have a all new rewritten storyline .

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I want try-hard 'edgy' bullcr@p. A **** ton of smoking 'because it's cool', a f*cking **** ton of cursing 'because it's cool', A lot of ''not giving a **** because it's cool''. Why? cause it's edgy sh*t and better. What's cool IS that it come from your name ''My name, btw, is Dante! Heeeerp!!!''. If old Dante can do it with his lame ass so can anyone else.
And a lot Illuminati stories just like with DMC4 and it's religious horse sh!t. Certainly better then some otaku teen's wet hentai dream. Devil May Cry is sh!t now and it's needs a change.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
No retarded try-hard 'edgy' bullcr@p. No smoking 'because it's cool', no cursing 'because it's cool', no ''not giving a **** because it's cool''. That's just emo, edgy sh*t. What's cool doesn't come from your name ''My name, btw, is Dante! Heeeerp!!!''. What is cool comes from your actions and verbal retorts.
And no Illuminati stories... so done with that. I don't want it to turn into a western teen's wet conspiracy dream. Devil May Cry is about religious themes, good vs evil, tolerance and acceptance, hero vs antihero, etc etc.
Jeez so sorry I wrote my Dante the way you don't like it. Clearly I shouldn't have bothered. :shifty:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
At the end of the day, an otaku's wet dream isn't much different or better than the wet dreams of a western teen who likes conspiracy theories so I say this rewrite would be much better if it stopped trying to pick a side.

I think bringing back Dante's mercenary past from the first light novel is a more efficient way of appealing to western audiences because

a. we in the west like rogues with a heart of gold (Han solo, Captain kirk, Edward Kenway from AC4, A huge portion of Marvel superheroes like Wolverine, Gambit, Star lord, Deadpool etc)

b. its an actual part of his backstory (albeit pushed into non-canon territory by DMC3 and the writers never really clarified) so i didn't pull it out of thin air and i could show fans that i know DMC.

So the above, with the outfit from the ps3 teaser because its a lil more modern and a lil more sleek and elegant than his usual outfits and a clearer continuity and progression is how i would have DMC appeal to the west.

The last bit of clearer continuity and progression isnt really because it would appeal to the west, its just good writing.

What i mean by those is

a. its often hard to tell how these games are connected because they seem to exist in their own bubbles and arent written to connect (which defeats the purpose)

B. the games jump around all over the place with no purpose (why was it a good idea to jump back to DMC3 only to jump forward again to DMC4 when you could have just forward to DMC4 and give nero a lil more foundation by having DMC3 resolve DMC2 so nero doesnt have to deal with the unanswered baggage?)

c. often DMC stories dont really challenge Dante or reveal anything forthcoming (DMC4/DMC2/Anime/Manga) so often these things feel like a weak filler episode and dante feels replaceable and irrelevant in his own franchise.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Huh. XD strange to read that from someone whose avatar is a sexy almost naked girl, and carries the phrase"Beer and big tits all around!"...

Please don't compare the greatness that is Super Sonico to those trash heaps of young nostalgia sperm you call women of the Devil May Cry franchise.

Top Bottom