• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zato-OW

King
In like the last DMC4 interview. Kobayashi was asked how long after DMC3 was DMC4. He said Lady was ten years older from DMC3. There is more evidence though. Like DMC Anime being a few months after DMC1 then it was stated that DMC4 is some months after the DMC Anime. No one accepted that DMC4 was 10 years after 3 even when he said so until they placed the DMC anime into the time line.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Well, I looked up the interview, thanks to Sparda(tm), and Kobiyashi's exact words were "Lady is about ten years older". It's a rounded off generalization, not a solid "lady IS Ten years older". Thusly, anyone saying "it's ten years later, no less or more" is missing that key generalization. Ergo, it's give or take a year or two, not "it's exactly ten years". Since the first solid statement of "this game takes place this long after this one was in fact "DMc3 is ten years before DMC1, which is twenty years after EVA was killed", that places DMC4 as about a year or two after DMC1.

Ergo, Dante and Lady are in their 30s in DMC4. IN fact, it was also said that Dante and Nero are ten years apart, and Nero is in his early 20s. So unless it was suddenly retconned that they're less than ten years apart, and making Dante even younger when Eva was murder by proxy...there's no way Dante is less than 30 in DMC4.

As to the anime, it keep making itself ambiguous to the exact time frame after DMC1 it happens, only that it's before DMC4. Yes, Dante's in his DMC1 outfit. However, he has also traded up Enzo for Morrison as his agent, and dialogue insinuates that it has been a good while since DMC1, plus the fact of Trish's rant at Dante that "I've been telling you for years to lay off the pizza." I also keep hearing that DMC4 is actually a year after the anime from several other people, so since neither the show itself, the show materials, nor the producers give an exact dating...all we can say is "it's between DMC 1 and 4", within about a two year time span supplied with the less than four year gap between the two games given by interviews.

Zato-OW

King
That still doesn't mean he is in his 30's. It was stated that Nero is the same age of Dante in DMC3. Then they said Nero and Dante are ten years apart. This means Dante is either 28-29 and Nero is 18-19(I'm going with 19 since Kyrie is said to be somewhat older then Nero.). Then the whole Lady 10 year thing. Then they came to say DMC4 is a few months after DMC anime. Which the DMC anime is said to be 2 months after DMC1. This is why most people say that most of the dialog in DMC1 should be thrown out. Because Capcom is really destroying the time line in this series. I remember when DMC4 was first shown in Tokyo, Kobayashi said that Dante was in his mid to late 30's(this was before they changed the story causing some delay in the games release.). Then he came back and said Dante and Nero are ten years apart. Then he came back again and said that Nero is the same age that Dante was in DMC3. Its too confusing. But I don't know anymore. I used to think that DMC1 was 2 years after DMC3 since he wore the same out fit at the end of the game, also with him saying his brother was killed 20 years ago prior to DMC3. CONFUSING!!!

Sparda™

^ Yeah, indeed.

The whole dialogue in DMC1...

'It's been 20 years since Eva was killed and Vergil was lost.'

Always thought that DMC1 came a couple of years after DMC3, giving the anime more sense and also It explains some gaps.

The cutscene in the end of DMC3, probably being two years from DMC3, having Dante wearing his DMC1 outfit, the Force Edge, and the whole moment is just before Trish's arrival.

I have to agree that the 10 years thing is more plausible.

Dante is 29 in DMC4, and Nero is 19, due to Zato who said about Nero being the same age as Dante in DMC3, hence the 10 years thing in here. Thanks for coming up with that as I had totally forgotten.

The whole point of this thread is about how far DMC2 has gone.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Alright, not counting all these VERY RECENT retcons I'm just finding out about, this is the information as known Pre-last interview containing retconned info

Eva was murdered twenty years before DMC1, where Dante was 28, as he and vergil were 8 years old when Eva was murdered. Trish's exact words to Dante when they met were "You're the man who lost a mother and a brother to evil forces twenty years ago." not that Vergil was killed, but lost. At that time, he had indeed lost Vergil, in all ways possible. During that point in story development, Vergil had been missing for 20 years. After DMC3's additions to lore, you have to take it that Trish did NOT know the whole truth, and Dante's "oh really" expression when she tells him what she knows takes a whole knew meaning; she didn't know the whole story.

However, he still had lost Vergil; the brother he'd loved and grown up to that point with was "lost", and when they next met ten years later, it was as enemies. Ergo, you cannot say "throw out most of the dialogue from DMC1." YOu're then throwing out vital background and character info. And who is saying that, anyway? They need to be beaten over the head with Yamato's scabbard if they say "ignore the dialogue from DMC1, it doesn't matter anymore."

Also, the DMC3 epilogue with Dante in his DMC1 outfit? Hardly right before Trish shows up. that was supposed to be when he finally got the shop open, he'd been blitzing demons for YEARS by the time Trish showed up as demonstrated by the fact he's well known as a demon hunter, and all the trophies and demon heads adorning his office in DMC1.

Sparda™

^ Exactly what I was saying...

I said lost about Vergil.

And those trophies were present at the epilogue. Look the office carefully.

This kind of confusion happens because DMC1 isn't the first in chronological order, and as new info is revealed, somethings just leave their place to new info.

Zato-OW

King
I don't get it. She says to Dante" You lost your brother and Mother 20 years ago to evil". But then again why would she say that if she knew Mundus killed Vergil at the end of DMC3 which infact if Mundus had read Vergil memories to give Trish this information he would know that they had just recently battled each other before Vergil fell into hell. This is why some people want to believe that she was talking about Nero(not saying hes Dante's brother for sure but things don't add up.). Then Dante says it was Mundus who killed his mother and brother before even fighting Nelo 3(he actually says this after the last Gryphon fight.). Also seeing as Nelo 3 was when Dante finally found out that Nelo was his brother. This makes some Dialog in DMC1 non cannon.

Okay basically what I'm saying is. Dante knew Mundus killed Vergil even before knowing Nelo was Vergil. But this can't be True because he never knew what happened to Vergil until the last Nelo fight.This means Trish had wrong info, making the dialog twisted. This again is why people say the brother Trish was talking about could be Nero. But then again the time gap would still be screwed.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I have the epilogue on Video file. That office was very empty and had NONE of the demon heads or the multiple swords many of said heads were mounted on. It was a easter egg for the fans, just like DMC1 Dante mode was.

Also, remember, at the time that DMC1 was released...Vergil in story had NOT been seen in twenty years, DMC3 is the retcon that did it just because "it would be cool", not because the retcon made sense. However, I really doubt that Mundus would tell Trish everything, let alone bother to read Verg's mind to find out EVERYTHING that happened in DMC3. As far as Dante knew, before and after the DMC3 retcon, Vergil was dead. The last time Dante had seen Vergil alive was DMc3, a decade previous to DMC1. I don't call that recent.

And now you're saying "oh, parts of DMC1 are now non-canon"? Doesn't work that way, sorry. DMC1 is in its entirety full canon, no ifs ands or buts. The only major change of structure is that Trish clearly didn't know the whole story of what happened between the Sparda twins, and Mundus didn't need her to know. All she knew was that Nero Angelo was in fact Vergil, and as far as she knew, Mundus had indeed taken him when Eva was murdered.

Seriously, why would people now think that Trish was talking about Nero?! The character wasn't even developed at all at that point.

Sparda™

It is interesting, although, this thread is DMC2-related.

Feel free to make a thread about this discussion elsewhere.

Now, discuss about the topic at hands, please.

Zato-OW

King
Well obviously you don't understand what I was getting at. Its not about what came first its about them making the story fit into place. Ever since DMC3 came out some of the dialog in DMC1 had to have been thrown out or they needed another game to make the pieces fit back into the story. Like as in DMC2 for an example. DMC2 was suppose to be 2 years after DMC1 but now its put far into the future because of DMC4. Take the DMC novel for an example they all had to be thrown out because DMC3 was put into place being set before DMC1. Then for one more example the Force-Edge in DMC1 was said to be a momento of Sparda left to Dante. But we know that isn't true because Dante obtained it in DMC3. Then there's the rebellion and so on and so on.
They are trying to make things fit but there are still things in DMC1 that doesn't. Like Dante knowing Mundus killed his brother with out even knowing Nelo was his brother yet. This is why people are now saying the brother Trish was talking about could be Nero. Because of Nero's age(this is the biggest reason of all because Nero was born around the same year Eva was killed.) his color scheme and his personality, plus the white hair makes it fit all into place. People are trying to find ways to fix dialog errors in the game so they came up with that theory. Ok Dante I'm going back to DMC2 related.

yasoukyoku

SAVED!
Well I really don't see how Dante who can be stabbed and crushed (among other things) and still get up similar to Wolverine, who was mentioned before, ages as a human.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
There is no evidence to suggest that Dante does not age.

As for the DMC 1 story, Dante knows Mundas killed his brother because he knows that Virgil stayed in the demon realm.

Dante probably had a feeling that Virgil had been killed while there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom