• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games/Series that have special meaning to you

Dark Drakan

Admin
Couldnt really think of an appropriate title to fully explain thread but there is too much negativity between gamers/platforms etc these days. With platform bias & company politics coming into play to polarise opinions so I wanted some more positive threads so people remember why they got into gaming in the first place.... for great games.

I want to know if there are any games that you still hold in high regard from when you first got into gaming that mean something special to you for whatever reason? Do you still occasionally play them or would you like to and what made them special to you?

For example I still play Settlers II from time to time, I played Settlers on my Amiga and was game my dad got me into & managed to find ways to get Settlers II from 1996 running on every PC/laptop I have owned since (even Windows 10).

Then there is the Command & Conquer series, my dad loved them and we used to play skirmish against each other for years while he taught me. Until I got old enough to start winning every game and he never played me again :laugh:. Then I got Command & Conquer Retaliation on Playstation, which was main reason I bought a 2nd Playstation after my 1st had issues reading discs after laser mechanism broke & had to turn it upside down to work. We used system link to hook up both Playstations & as it came with 2 discs you didnt need to buy 2 copies. Put 2 TV's back to back and Steve and I used to play it when he came round against AI.

That was followed by Red Alert 2 & Yuris Revenge on PC which was first online game I properly played against other people (we were about 14/15) & the game that I ended up coming up with username I still use today to play on, along with Steve. Back when we used dial up pay per minute internet (my god im old)... :dead:

Age of Empires II is another that Steve & I played together all those years ago trying to defeat hardest difficulty AI (took many hours). I have such fond memories of RTS genre and its likely one of the main reasons I wanted it back in force so much. Steve & I also played quite a lot of original Alien vs Predator, Blood & Duke Nukem too over LAN. :laugh:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm, I'm not really one to play video games over and over again, but one exception is Spyro the Dragon. That series has a special place in my heart as my first console video games ever and I have been known to play them again from time to time..

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
Devil May Cry, Legend Of Zelda, and Metal Gear Solid are all game series from my childhood that I revisit every other year or so in some form or fashion. Also as far as being special to me, they are my three favorite game series. I still play games like Dino Crisis 2, Crash Bandicoot, Dark Cloud, and various Final Fantasy games every so often too.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Hmm, I'm not really one to play video games over and over again, but one exception is Spyro the Dragon. That series has a special place in my heart as my first console video games ever and I have been known to play them again from time to time..

My wife loved Crash Bandicoot & Spyro too & I have a demo disc from a magazine back then with Spyro on it (still got loads of the original 1st Playstation mags). Also found I still have the very first Demo One disc that came with the first launch playstations too. :laugh:

DDutchguy

DmC hype
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is one of the first games I played. English isn't my native language so I remember how it took me a really long time to get out of the tutorial because the game urged me to "double tap the d-pad". Didn't have a clue what it meant so I just spammed random buttons in the hopes that I could continue. And I did.

Until I got stuck at a hard boss of course. Put the game down for like 6-7 years and then picked it up again and beat it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Devil May Cry 3, the first Witcher and the whole Sands of Time trilogy of the Prince of Persia games.

All of those I replay every now and then, and each time is like the first time.
Not... not in the sense that I'm a total noob at them...

Oh, and the first Unreal Tournament. That one certainly has a special place in my heart. As I think everybody knows, that game was VERY gory and I still remember my dad stepping in my room while my 12 years old self was playing it and going "Dafuq are those? Pieces?". As in, pieces of human flesh. Such a laugh I had, man...

Kurisu

Bunny mom
Huh... Well, this is gonna be long. Sorry.

-Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Those 3 made my childhood. I know KH and FF thanks to my brother, and my parents bought me Pokemon Yellow, Red and Gold when I was little since I watched the TV series and I just yelled Pikachu looking at the TV while holding my Pikachu plush. Good times.

-Resident Evil. When I was 7 my cousin rented Resident Evil 4, (funny because it's the game I like less since I'm not a huge fan of Leon and I only saw it that time). I enjoyed watching him play and laughing at him because he got scared, and when I got to play the first ones... Chris became my favourite. I dunno, having as a reference a cool protagonist with the same name as me was very cool for me back then, and he's still my favourite. Never played RE 3 though, I should if they remake it. I like every female character on Resident Evil (except Helena and Jessica), but with Resident Evil male characters... Every dude I like dies except for Chris. I like Barry but not that much, he seems more like an old friend. And Billy is missing. Damnit.

-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. That was the first Zelda I played in my whole life.

-The Layton saga, it's just perfect and heartbreaking. I will always love it.

-Metal Gear. Since my cousin showed it to me I've been a huge fan, and not so long ago I managed to get all the games (digitally). I never played MGS4 before 'cause I didn't have a PS3 back then.

-Devil May Cry of course. One of the other things my cousin showed me. Also I got really surprised when my brother said he did play some of the games. He always thinks of me when he sees something about Devil May Cry now, especially if it's something from DMC3.

-The World Ends With You. Some games are just too good and they grow on you. That's what happened with this game. The story, the music, the characters, the artstyle, everything... I can relate to Neku at a certain level too.

-Persona 3. I would say the Persona saga in general but this game. This game. It applies to the TWEWY rule I said before. I also can relate with Minato a lot. But really, I love games that you can enjoy 100% and they're gold. And this game was a masterpiece.

-Mother series. Not gonna lie, I met Lucas and Ness with Smash playing on my friend's house. When I got to play the Mother series I fell in love. They're my kind of RPG.

-Yume Nikki. A game inspired a lot by Mother, my first horror RPG, I actually played it before the Mother series, and when I discovered it was inspired by Mother I got so happy. This game got me into all the horror RPGs I play.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Only certain entries within certain series.

Also, there's one game that I'm really into right now, but I won't list it due to various reasons that I won't get into here.

----

Shenmue

I enjoyed the first entry more because it had more of an effect on me due to it being the first game of its kind back then. This was before Yakuza, so going into Virtual Japan was pretty much unexplored territory during a time when gaming was in what was more or less a transitional period, from my point of view.

----

The Legend of Zelda II

A semi-metroidvania with a (short) sword. In those days, that was actually a pretty big deal to me. Still is, in all honesty.

----

Soul Reaver

Raziel was (and still is) one of my top five favorite protagonists ever.

The idea of jumping, climbing, and swashbuckling your way through a Gothic apocalyptic landscape was such a refreshing change of pace from the more cheerful, colorful Ocarina of Time.

----

Shadow Man

This game is absolutely dripping with atmosphere, and has my second favorite protagonist of any video game ever.

An intelligent, disturbing look into the realm of the afterlife, and forging ahead despite the fact that there was no map, and you were pretty much on your own in what is probably the best rendition of the Underworld to date, in my humble opinion.

----

Mirror's Edge

A lone woman taking on a pristine surveillance state.

While I loved the city itself, I understood why the protagonist felt she had no choice but to take it down.

Not the best game ever, of course, but one that remains with me even long after I've played it.

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Admin
Shenmue

I enjoyed the first entry more because it had more of an effect on me due to it being the first game of its kind back then. This was before Yakuza, so going into Virtual Japan was pretty much unexplored territory during a time when gaming was in what was more or less a transitional period, from my point of view.

I loved Shenmue series (1 & 2), the original was so far ahead of its time at the time. Its insane to look at what they did with it back then and I know it broke records for how much it cost to make but it was stunning.

Soul Reaver

Raziel was (and still is) one of my top five favorite protagonists ever.

The idea of jumping, climbing, and swashbuckling your way through a Gothic apocalyptic landscape was such a refreshing change of pace from the more cheerful, colorful Ocarina of Time.

I never played full game and only had the demos but I did see others play it a lot & I really liked look of it, some great level design and some fantastic features.

Meg

Crash Bandicoot easily. I have the original PS games downloaded on my PS3. Every once in a while I'll go back to them. Crash Team Racing was the very first video game I ever played. I played all of them with my mom. There were times I'd be trying to sleep (on a school night) and she'd wake me up because she needed help getting passed a particular section. :laugh:

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
I have lots, but I'm going to narrow it down to just two.

Saturn Bomberman: this easily was my first video game. My ma had a sega saturn, and she had all sorts of different games for it, but Bomberman was the first I learned how to properly play. Easy rules and controls, addictive gameplay, colorful maps and designs, diverse and interesting maps and levels with that slight anime touch that gave it it's lasting charm. It had multiplayer party mode, a co-op enabled campaign, and was challenging in all the right places, making it the perfect game for my 5 year old mind. It's still a whole lot of fun, maybe even harder now for some reason.

Breakdown (Xbox): I swear, freaking nobody but me knows about this game for some unfathomable reason. It's one of NAMCO's long lost sleeper titles from back in 2003, and I kid you not, it's the pioneer and progenitor of the first person shooters of today. Mirrors edge was actually inspired from this game. Crazy right? It had a fascinating and complex story, a full first person perspective throughout the game, even in cutscenes and action sequences, a mind blowing combat system which allowed amazing combos and a hair raising boss battle, not to mention first person backflips on command (whoop) and when you ate food, it went up to the screen like your character was actually eating (remember, 2003 guys. We wouldn't see this stuff until much later.) It's easily my favorite game is all time, and I highly recommend you check it out sometime.

berto

I Saw the Devil
That'd be a pretty long reply for me, as well. I'll come back when I've gathered my thoughts, though I'll provably be saving drafts before posting.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
- Duke Nukem 3D
I'll never forget this story as it was the game that made me into the passionate gamer I am today.
The year was 1998, I was 6 years old, my gaming life wasn't that big as I just had a SEGA Mega Drive and was mostly playing short bursts of some lesser games like Alien 3 on that system cause I wasn't that into gaming then cause you know I was 6 and I live out in a rural area with a family that didn't think much of gaming, but then my dad bought a Playstation 1(the same PS1 console I still have today) and brought Street Fighter, Gran Turismo and a few Motocross games along with Resident Evil 2 which I wasn't allowed to play, but the games I had on the PS1 at the time were very fun and I played them rather often.
But then one day I was in my room doing something that I can't remember cause I was 6, my dad came into my room and said that he has hidden something in the living room for me and as I looked around the living room and he kept telling me whether I was getting warm or cold, I finally looked under the mat in front of the fire place to see this:
dukenukem-dface-duke-nukem-335729569.jpg

It was the PS1 port of Duke Nukem 3D, when I saw the box art I immediately knew this was gonna be a hell of a time cause seeing Duke on the cover like that during my child hood when I was obsessed with Arnold Schwarzenegger and other action movies.
Once I fired up the game and the opening level of Hollywood Holocaust started with Duke saying "Damn, those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride!" I was hooked.
Gunning down aliens, Duke's oneliners, tipping strippers, the references to a lot of my favorite movies, the music every moment of the game amazed me and my gaming obsession began, my mum even hid it away to make me do homework so I could play afterwards.
Funny thing is, I still wasn't allowed to play Resident Evil 2 cause I was too young and it was a horror game while Duke Nukem's stripper tipping and alien killing nature was perfectly fine for 6 year old me!
We didn't have internet back then so I had to rely on gaming mags to see news about other Duke games which was nearly impossible cause my parents wouldn't buy me the mags most of the time because thanks to Duke making me obsessed with gaming, they were being typical parents wanting me to stop playing games and ugh.....go outside.

Ever since that day the Duke Nukem has been like a religion to me, I've tried my hand at some mods for Duke3D, built a massive collection and even made some animated videos on youtube, the franchise is just about having a good time and not having a care in the world and it's heartbreaking to me that the franchise is in the poisonous hands of Gearbox "Feminism is Awesome" Software.

I still hope for the day of a true Duke Nukem 5.

Unfortunately Duke is the only franchise today that still has special meaning to me because all the other franchises that used to mean something are now dead to me due to recent efforts like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.
They were the only other 2 franchises I collected stuff from.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Legend of zelda and mgs and of course DMC for me

I love the world and story of zelda and the dungeons and bosses and cool stuff

I love the stealth and bonkersness of mgs and its characters are memorable and weird lol

And DMC for the combat the story and the soarda twins and there history and lineage

All 3 series and there games have made me happy and helped me get through some sad times in my life

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic 2 was my first Video Game, and even thou I'll "say Sonic 3 & Knuckles is sex on the beach." Whenever I pop in Sonic 2 and hear that Emerald Hill Zone music, I smile like a big, dumb idiot. The Legend of Zelda Oot and MM mean a lot to me too. OoT with its grand adventure, and MM because it was the first game I beat 100% without cheat codes. Man that game makes me feel afraid and awestruck at the same time.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, of course DMC but most of you know that I'm almost exclusively a fan of the first game and I play the other because of their relation to that game. I played DMC1 at a time when I was mostly into angsty, depressed, emotional, angry, tragic, and shy characters. It started with Shinji Ikari, and I still like him but as an adult I have a very different perspective of him now, and riding the wave of this emotionally complicated character I kinda went for the melancholia and the emotionally driven. Then I pop in DMC and comes this mother****er with an energy I hadn't seen before. Radiating confidence, unwavering in the face of danger, unchanged or affected by the tragedy of his life, and not an ass****, which is why I never gravitated to those kinds of characters, he walked that line with such ease I was enamored with the whole experience. He was the first character that I saw who wasn't defined by the tragedy in his life, like so many other characters I was knee deep into for years at the time and it didn't hurt that the game was a perfect blend of badassery and horror. That game impacted me enough to get into an entire genre. I like DMC3 and I like Bayonetta but I might've not played them or even learned to love them if that passion for them hadn't existed from this first game.

Okami is the first game that ever actually had me crying. It doesn't anymore but at the time I was pretty moved by it. The journey was fun, though a bit too kid friendly at times, and epic. This game is the big hand I slap people with in the face when arguing that games are art. I've never played a Zelda game but if they really are like this I will give 'em a chance.

Rez and Child of Eden. As people we sometimes get the urge to go looking for something different, not the normal, same as yesterday, routine, to add spice to the daily routine. Maybe it's going to watch a drama instead of that action movie that's crap but it's breaking records at the box office which you totally do every summer but you're starting to see the pattern and something new might not hurt, or eating at a Phở restaurant because you don't know what Phở is and that restaurant/bar you always go to is starting to get stale. When you talk about how you can go looking for different experiences when it comes to video games these games are the ones for me. Railroad shooters are nothing new but the experience isn't in the gameplay concept, it's the Synesthesia, how the game is basically like playing an instrument, both of them, and it's just brightness, music, sound, color and feelings, if for no other reason than just to experience them. There is no story here, not one to worry about, no grand plot, just fun to be had with sound and color. It's what I go to when I want Phở for video game.

MegaMan. When I was a kid there were a lot of games in the Nintendo that I couldn't get into because they were in English and it wasn't easy to follow instructions or dialogue. For the most part the games were straightforward but if I were told to go somewhere and the world was less than linear me and everyone I was playing with were fresh out of luck. We were kinda stuck with the obvious route kinda games, which wasn't bad, the Nintendo was littered with them, but out of all of them the Megaman games were some of the most fun. Megaman 2 was the first game I drew stages and bosses for. I've played at least one title of each iteration, with a few exceptions. It's one of my favorite franchises and it'll provably be for a long time.

Honestly, I don't really have any profound or life changing story as to why I like certain games as much as I do, which I know some people have, but there are a fair share of games that have left an impact on me and by extension have become important to me, I guess you could say. Maybe it's something as simple as a feeling the game gives, like the one you get playing RE for the first time, or maybe something a bit more tangible like feeling a certain uncomfortable familiarity with the situations in Catherine, maybe a sense of wonder and awe from the worlds, the creatures, and the strange scenery in Bloodborne or a Final Fantasy game, a sense of realization and dread in Silent Hill 2, admiration and a bit of envy at the imagination of Odin Sphere and Folklore, satisfaction at beating that boss in GodHand, and so on. This list could go on, Gravity Rush, Shadows of the Damned, Resident Evil 4, Disgaea, all of these are games that I have found memories of and they have some importance in my mind.

It's a bit odd to insinuate that something as trivial as a video games can hold importance to a person, something as idle, which I blame on it being the new media. It sounds childish and even inappropriate for an adult man to have such values. It's not like we're talking about a song, a book, a movie, a painting or even photograph. But here we are, well into the 21st century and this is our generation's media and we value it. Not like our nagging parents, aunts, uncles and everyone of their generation don't still listen to that music their parents hated and they as well as far back as men have nagged at the next generation so I know that I will provably still be playing well after I have a bunch of annoying grandkids who can't speak Spanish and are more interested in their trivial new media than their damn abulo... pin***s mocosos, malagradecidos... It's their parents fault.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I've been meaning to start a topic just like this for months, but looks like I've already been beat to it. :D No matter: these are the prime games/series that hold special meaning to me, not just for my gaming tastes but have formed the passions and interests of me as a person.
I'll try to make this a slimmer post than my usual ones, with only one game on this post that I think I'll be gushing over to some lengthy, wordy extent.

And, naturally, that would be the Star Fox series.

Bs8GMFGCEAA041G.png:large
My eternal, unyielding, and in a lot of ways, simply unwarranted devotion to this string of obscure games stems from the very first game I ever played: and that was the original Galaga, when I was six years old. I didn't own a game console until I was about twelve, so my parents decided to "save money" by taking me to arcades (a plan that fell in on itself by the time I had spent the monetary equivalent of ten game consoles in game tokens alone). The sensation of blasting through space and engaging in high-octane space combat with bristling swarms of enemies was cemented into my blood, which would be carried through to my fated discovery with the Star Fox games. But the reason Star Fox is important to me is that it marked the beginning of games ceasing to be just games. It wasn't just some flashy diversion to play around with for five minutes anymore. I cared about what was going on.

Star Fox really represents a landmark in my childhood, because it was the first time I was really bonding with another universe. I grew up with the planetary worlds and crew of underdog characters as the graphics, mechanics, music, and story evolved. It was the first game where I knew every character's name, every ship, every weapon and planet, the first I used to Wiki and research with passionate curiosity. The first game where the story, the drama unfolding between characters (even on a basic scale as Star Fox), mattered to me...and would even later inspire my taste in anime as I got into space opera shows like Macross and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

The first game I ventured outside of my casual, outsider status...and became a gamer, a superfan. And this may sound incredibly cheesy, but Star Fox was also the first game I heard voices in...which made my attachment to the characters all the more prevalent.

Second is Castlevania (as a series):

8977.jpg

Cling fast to your armchairs as I reveal this obscure bit of self-trivia: I'm actually an immense, borderline-irrational vampiraholic. I'm literally fascinated with them, to the point that I've actually put together dozens of amateur (and frankly, embarrassing) drafts for my own vampire movie, the last of which I ended up cobbling together for my eventual attempt at a novel. The heart of vampire fiction is one I hold dear---and I'm not talking this sappy, new-age wave of insufferable, uber-romantic, suffocatingly awful romance novels everyone's fixated on attaching Vampiric mythology to---I'm talking about the twisted, mottled, beautiful bowels of where vampires truly belong: Gothic horror.

And no franchise ever measured up to that setting and my love of vampires like the Castlevania series. The web of mingling characters and eras, the intricate works of art by Ayami Kojima, the melodic majesty of the soundtrack...and in the case of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, the closest thing to an actual video game made in the spirit, tone, and essence of my favorite vampire film of all time, Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula.

Third is KOTOR II.
79B0EBBDA8C6C8A71C4C3CB00B4CBD946B305CAF

I'm not even going to waste time with some lengthy piece of me gushing over this game. Nothing I can say or describe could appropriately suffice for the act of you all playing this game, and being awed into silence because of how fantastic this game's story is.

Let me put it this way: I took up writing fiction and tearing through pulp novels and fantasy sagas as my hobby because of this game. It has the SINGLE best narrative I've ever seen put to game code.

And last, but never to be the least, is Devil May Cry.

148896-devil-may-cry-devil-maycry-4-nero-and-dante-wallpaper.jpg
Ah, yes. The reason I'm even here in the first place.

I love Devil May Cry...far more than I probably should. DMC was what shattered my Nintendo fanboy cocoon and introduced me to the Playstation consoles, the wellspring of Japanese exclusives and genres I had never before encountered. But even in that onslaught of games I was being exposed to for the very first time...DMC held up high above the rest.

It introduced me to so much. It showed me the mentality and design process of Japanese games, the stylistic influences and intricacy of motion capture, the kind of over-the-top flamboyance that so many other games in its same genre have desperately tried to emulate. I harbor so much nostalgia for this series, and embarassingly enough, it has very little to do with the actual combat. It's everything ELSE--the fantastic and otherworldly environments, the inspiration and thought that went into designing its visuals and enemies, the memorable soundtrack that haven't lost their luster with age, and yes, the somewhat-derivative characters that even with their questionable execution, still radiate with the personality and charm that their performers and Voice Actors have managed to draw out of them.

And as much as I love to play cynical contrarian here on the forums and jab at its multitude of flaws, I'll always have a soft spot for it, and will always regard it fondly as the best thing, in my opinion, that Capcom has ever given us as gamers.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm, games that have special meaning to me eh?
  • Metal Gear Solid - My first stealth game and a wonderful series full of wacky but touching characters. MGS4's final scene was one of only 3 video games to ever make me cry.
  • Hotel Dusk/Last Window - A pair of DS games that have you play as an ex-detective still investigating the ghosts of his past. Full of charm and mystery, I was so sad when the company went under thus preventing any more sequels being made.
  • Ace Attorney - You're an attorney, you defend people. I kinda fell out of love with this series after the original writer/director left, the games without him just don't compare IMO. But I have rejoined for the various spin-off games which the original writer came back to do.
  • Zero Escape Trilogy - A great series where essentially nine people are trapped somewhere and have to solve puzzles and things to gradually escape, only to learn something much bigger is going on. I was so glad when fan support managed to get the final game uncanceled and we got to play it.
  • Persona - Same as Ace Attorney, I enjoyed the original games (P1 & P2), fell out of love when the creator left (P3 & P4) but came back when P5 went back to the roots of the series.
  • Yakuza - You're an ex-Yakuza who's trying to get out of the business, but the underworld just keeps dragging you back in. Full of drama and great action.

JPunxR

Devil Punter
Hmm. the choices of games I have in mind would be:

Spyro the Dragon Trilogy: I remember as a kid, it was Christmas, my parents bought me the Collectors Edition, and all I would ever do is play the games most of the time and days. I didnt have any friends during Elementary school(besides my neighborhood friends anyways) so this was the only thing that would keep me happy. I dont own the copy I had that time but I managed to buy the copies later(and somehow I got two copies of Spyro 2, im not complaining, but still a nice gem to have). So the Spyro games will have a special place in my heart.

- Sonic Mega Collection Plus: I didnt own a Genesis back then, but more of a gamecube so I didnt start enjoying Sonic from where he came from, but to where he got ported. Anyways, an old friend of mine gave his copy since he I was into Sonic durign that time. he moved out of the neighborhood and never saw him again so I still have the box with me. The game is bent due to a problem I had with my GC but I still kept it.

Hmm, I think those two are the ones thats been special for me for the longest time.

Top Bottom