• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does Tameem hate CAPCOM?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I googled it and it seems that this is a true claim for big titles, price of game development has recently risen to very high levels.
Big AAA titles I could believe, like GTA or Destiny, but still I think a good bit would be very lucky to get even half that stuff.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The contemporary gaming industry pretty much sucks.

I think the best time to be a gamer was during the PS2 era.

*sigh* I wish it was like the old days when companies were just like, "Here's something to play fun stuff on". And we'd see that fun stuff on the shelf wanting to buy the whole store.

Now, I walk in to Gamestop feeling like Bob Saget.

Viper

Premium

Yeah it's smurfin ridiculous.
It's movie budget required for some of these games & i don't understand why.
How much of that is required & spent on the games themselves & how much is for hiring actual movie star actors & actresses, marketing that alot of times fails, etc.

Do you know how many commercials i've seen for the DevilMayCry reboot where i live when it 1st came out ?
Not many.

How many online videos, online images vs actual television commercials or ads in general for any games outside of japan ?

The gaming world, at least judging by this part of the world, used to rely highly on personal recommendation, in other words one person buys a new game they saw, likes it, tells all their friends. Now this was easy when gaming was still a hobby for enthusiasts, and not the main source of entertainment for masses with huge competition. Still, internet gave companies opportunity to practically advertise for free (or almost free) to large demographic, so I don't get it where the money goes.

I actually strongly dislike the amount of worship people have for famous actors, thinking that just because they are a big name that they will always perform amazingly, so they get instant-hire. Big names only cost a lot, a good job can be done even by a completely new name. But then they wouldn't be able to attract big name worshipers, thinking this will earn them more money.

I look at games the way they used to be and what they are now. They are more polished and all, but overall I feel like people had more fun in the past.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
CAPCOM gave them a job, and the job was to make Dante less "Japanese-y" so he would appeal to more non-Japanese people. The aim right there was to make something that a different country or race would find more appealing because ultimately, there are certain differences between them and what they like that a business market can't deny.

That isn't racism. That's just how it is. As clumsy as some of the comments Tameem has come out with over the course of the DmC thing, I doubt he'd be directly insulting his employers
^This.

''the question was does Tameem hates capcom or not. 'cause i never heard him making a good comment about the previous game.''

As for that question, I doubt Tameem hates Capcom. I do think he might hate Japanese games. That is, games that are over-the-top and... well... Japanese-y. I'm sure he had very little to do with those offensive slides NT showed, but his statement that 'old Dante was not cool anymore' and not cool compared to new Dante, was kind of arrogant. It was ignorant too, because what is cool changes all the time. What is 'cool' is not set in stone, and going with a modern western interpretation of what is cool is just being part of the flock. That's just blindly following a fad: ''you should wear this because everybody wears it! You don't want to be ridiculed, do you?!'' In the words of new Dante: f*ck yoooooo. :laugh:
The slides pretty much said that old Dante was not cool, and they compared him to gay cowboys from the movie Brokeback Mountain, for some reason. They could've picked any example, but they picked two gay cowboys in one of the most uncool, boring situations (lying somewhere in the grass in a field). Coincidence? No idea, but it could be considered offensive, even if they didn't mean it that way. Then on the other side of the slide you had new Dante being called cool, and being compared to Fight Club. Because random people beating each other up is cool, I guess. Opinions, opinions. They could've handled the situation better, that's all.

EDIT: yeah, we all know the difference between the characters in eastern and western culture. But to what is that a reply? Are you saying that Dante *should* look like he did in DmC? Because most western gamers disagree with you, funnily enough. Most western gamers went 'meh' when they saw new Dante's design, and DmC didn't sell well either, despite being westernized.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
It certainly doesn't make them bad characters, but western vision looks like they need to introduce prunes in their diet... :whistle:

Developers should just get together again with imagination and free themselves of anything else, including judging their audience based on the culture they live in, because living in same culture doesn't mean having same taste.

No matter what you do, you can please someone, but never everyone.

GF9000000Returns

To reply to the topic, no they're not. They just have different tastes. For me, I was always under the impression that the first three DMC games weren't japaneesy and more of a action-fantasy-horror movie with a white or silver hair protagonist with stylish clothes that fitted the atmosphere(DMC2 Dante having the best design!!). DMC4 on the other hand was japaneesy, and I felt that they held back on the scariness DMC was know for. The monsters were looked weak(though a couple looked good), too freaking anime lovey dovey, and there wasn't enough blood and gore.

Now for DmC, I'd say it's more like the first three DMC games. Only difference is that the protagonist's hair is black, and the atmosphere is more grittier than the others, at least 2-4. I think it goes on par with the DMC1 atmosphere.

The Final Offer

Maybe Capcom knew they couldn't duplicate what made the original DevilMayCry formula so great.
So they figure toss something together, slap the namesake on it & see what happens & maybe nobody will notice or care because they figure if you're a fan of the namesake then you'll automatically continue loving the brand.

Actually, from playing DmC, Capcom seemed to have wanted the game to be smooth and not robotic. They wanted us to have as many options in the sky as on the ground. The formula that made the original Devil May Cry isn't something extraordinary, Capcom could do it again and again. It just would be dull like DMC 4's combat is. I never enjoyed seeing gamers do expert combos in a Devil May Cry game because it looks so detached. Everyone seemed to have been doing the same combos as the other guys. I believe Capcom saw that and challenged their team.

If people don't know who worked on DmC's combat, it was the same team that worked on previous DMC games. So to even go there and claim that DmC is not as good as any of their past work is ignorant. They made the game more accessible "Devil May Cry style". This phrase is used by me, because of the creativity they allowed gamers. DMC has not been accessible like this, the DMC series had restrictions and Capcom cleverly removed those shackles by allowing more freedom to choose what moves go together. The entire design of DmC's combat is to not make it linear. By linear, I mean, each time you fire up a combo you can do one to three moves before variation. Yes, in DMC you can switch weapons but those weapons do not transition smoothly. It's not gracious at all.

For example: Rebellion standard combo is around 3 hits in all DMC games. When you do these combos you can switch weapons mid combo. DMC 4 has it where if you switch mid combo, into the standard combo of Beowulf, you get it's starting move.

For button heads on DMC 4: It's triangle, triangle, switch weapon, triangle, triangle, triangle ( Beowulf finisher).

Now DmC's Rebellion has 4 hits in it's standard combo. So let's switch from Rebellion to Osiris and mid combo switch over like in the DMC 4 example.

In DmC this would play out like: triangle, triangle, triangle, switch weapon, triangle, triangle (Osiris finisher).

If DMC 4 were to implement DmC's combat system it'd go: Triangle, triangle, switch weapon, triangle (Beowulf finisher).

So it's not about the game being dumbed down, it's about the game's combat not resetting anymore. That's frustrating to people who want to enjoy the game and do cool stuff. That's what would've set DmC and DMC's gameplay apart. Also, DMC has Hard Lock On and DmC has soft lock. Alot of gamers know this is a major thing in gameplay and it was done on purpose. DmC is meant to have a distinction from DMC. It has it's own formula and feel.

I was hoping people would feel the same way as I did when Megaman Legends came out and just did so many things different and familiar to the franchise that I loved the options I had in gaming. Megaman 1-8 is not what made me a fan. It is Megaman X that reeled me all the way in. I think alot of people are missing the fact that you can't believe that one version is going to please everyone because you like it so much.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well. If DmC had low budget...than how Nt survived for all those years? You know, they had 3 years production time where they needed to be fed, pay taxes, etc. Additionally i don't believe they were capable to pay for Avatar studio from their own pocket. And additionally we had to add all those marketing, conferences and other PR stuff, where Capcom attempted to overturn tides.

Top Bottom