• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC4: The Lock-On is broken in this game.

aoshi

Are you seriously going to imply that this was a deliberate game design choice? That they did this for balance reasons or something along those lines.

As a matter of fact, Yes , DMC 4 has aerial moves that uses left analog stick inputs and to continue comboing in air , we need to be faster with inputs than on the ground. Eg: Ecstasy(Dante) and Calibur(Nero). We can't have the toggle if player accidentally clicks the left analog stick while performing these aerial moves cuz that would drop the enemy and aggrevate players.This goes by default controls and we can't expect the player to change his control scheme and map his lock-on toggle to another button. I would rather not have it all cuz it really has no major purpose unlike DMC 3 which didn't have aerial moves with left analog stick.

To further prove the absurdity of your defense.

Pssshh...This whole subject of lock-on toggle on the move being an issue is absurd.

You can toggle just fine

Well duh...I think we have established that.

We can toggle enemies while locked-on. But your issue is not being able to toggle when moving while locked-on.

This is not a DMC3 vs DMC4 design contest.

You made the comparison with DMC 3 and wanted lock-on to work exactly the same way as DMC 3.Its like expecting resident evil to behave like any other shooter game where we can run and shoot at the same time.

The way it should be is the way it is in every game with lock, just like It was in DMC3, this is a flaw in the game's coding.

First, I'm glad you agree we shouldn't have lock-on. It is indeed useless in DMC4, but I think that's because it feels limited in how its implemented into the game.

Second, on the question of remapping controls, everyone remaps some controls if they play DMC games on a high level. There is no way that you didn't remap one of the shoulder buttons to nero's gun, so you could charge his blue rose while performing combos. So, if the lock on worked like I wished it did, how would remapping it for convenience be any different than remapping Nero's gun. Heck, if DMC4 felt the way you did about its toggle function, why would it allow you to remap it in the first place?

Since I'm given a choice, I personally remap it to right joystick, which takes care of the particular issue you're worried about, which is frustration from lack of player skill (accidentally pressing buttons).

OppressedWriter said:
The way it should be is the way it is in every game with lock-on, just like It was in DMC3, this is a flaw in the game's coding.

*face palm*
I only mentioned DMC3 as one example, pretty much all modern games from the DMC4 era that have lock plus games like ZELDA on 64 have this feature. I repeat, I don't think this was intentional and is just some sort of glitch that no one noticed.

I want Lock-on to work like it works in every other game that has lock on, including older DMC's as well.

DMC3 Toggle, or how I wish DMC4 toggle wasn't so limited.

I am surprised to see you guys arguing that this was done purposefully due to game design.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
Second, on the question of remapping controls, everyone remaps some controls if they play DMC games on a high level.

I know lots of players, myself included who play with default controls.

I am surprised to see you guys arguing that this was done purposefully due to game design.

I'm not arguing whether it was done on purpose or not, I just don't feel it's a problem.

I know lots of players, myself included who play with default controls.

I'm not arguing whether it was done on purpose or not, I just don't feel it's a problem.

Well, that seems odd, why wouldn't you remap the gun to better button for Nero? You have like 5 empty buttons with Nero. None the less, if the lock on was supposed to not work or be that restrictive they wouldn't let you remap it to another button. IN the end, if its not an issue because toggling isn't tha timportant, then why did the game have lock on in the first place? Should just got rid of it.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Well, that seems odd, why wouldn't you remap the gun to better button for Nero? You have like 5 empty buttons with Nero. None the less, if the lock on was supposed to not work or be that restrictive they wouldn't let you remap it to another button. IN the end, if its not an issue because toggling isn't tha timportant, then why did the game have lock on in the first place? Should just got rid of it.

The lock on is necessary for direction inputs and you can still toggle between locked on targets...maybe not moving....but you can also toggle while in the air (even moving in the air), jumping, while dodging, and during attack animations (after you pulled off the commands) and even during combos although they will change direction mid combo and you can do it during any part of a combo at any time (I was playing whack-a-mole on the enemies using Nero's Red Queen Combo B).

The reason why you can't toggle (L3) while walking is that to toggle targets the Left Stick needs to remain neutral otherwise it will register you moving the left stick in any direction other than pressing it down (L3). That and DMC4 doesn't have an option to map it to another button mostly due to Dante taking up all the buttons but they could've done it with Nero who doesn't use up every button.

Toggling is somewhat important regardless what they say but it isn't as restrictive as you claim it to be. If your skilled enough player you can easily play around it without it being a big deal.

WHOOOOOOHHHH YOU CAN'T TOGGLE LOCK-ON ON TARGETS WHILE MOVING ON LAND IT MUST BE BROKEN!!!!

One can argue that DMC3 has a terrible camera since its so stiff and DMC4 has the better camera since its more free....thus forth DMC3 has a broken camera.

However I do feel that lock-on mechanics should be improved and that includes auto-lock on modes like MGR instead of just pressing the L3 button (or a button) it should be a system where you toggle using the right stick (usually for camera control) and change targets by just flicking the RS in any direction to a target while locking on. Usually when using a lock-on system the camera is focused on the target so the camera is usually stationary.

I've been checking out this conversation for some time now and I find this toggling thing more interesting now (I never exploited it before) and I decided to use it some more in combat and I find some interesting tricks like a Rapid Snatch/Devil Snatch after pulling off a snatch on one enemy during the snatch animation you toggle to the next target and perform Snatch and do it again (I'm still working on it). I'll also trying out a new trick of using Air Trick on enemy and toggling to the next enemy and pulling it off and using it to Air Trick from enemy to enemy the thing is its possible just very hard to pull off it requires jump canceling to reset the Air Trick usage (twice) and great reflexives and speed or at least utilizing the DT will make it easier a bit...but still hard.

The reason why you can't toggle (L3) while walking is that to toggle targets the Left Stick needs to remain neutral otherwise it will register you moving the left stick in any direction other than pressing it down (L3). That and DMC4 doesn't have an option to map it to another button mostly due to Dante taking up all the buttons but they could've done it with Nero who doesn't use up every button.

Not true. You can easily remap it to R3 which is center camera and make center camera L3, if capcom didn't want you to remap it they wouldn't have given you the option to remap it.

Toggling is somewhat important regardless what they say but it isn't as restrictive as you claim it to be. If your skilled enough player you can easily play around it without it being a big deal.

But the point is one of the major complaints about not having lock on in DmC is the loss of precise target selection, so I found it odd going back and playing DMC4 and seeing that target selection capabilities of the lock on are so lacking and clunky. I know you can find ways around it, (I've seen amazing player videos), but that doesn't excuse the fact that a core mechanic doesn't work like it should.

In the end, DMC4 is still an excellent game, but to me personally it would have been better either without lock on or with a lock that worked like it should.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Not true. You can easily remap it to R3 which is center camera and make center camera L3, if capcom didn't want you to remap it they wouldn't have given you the option to remap it.

Wait no you can't. I'm looking and you can't swap the L3 or R3 button functions in DMC4....at least on the Console version there is no option to change it the lock-on toggle and camera center button at all...can you in the PC version?

But the point is one of the major complaints about not having lock on in DmC is the loss of precise target selection, so I found it odd going back and playing DMC4 and seeing that target selection capabilities of the lock on are so lacking and clunky. I know you can find ways around it, (I've seen amazing player videos), but that doesn't excuse the fact that a core mechanic doesn't work like it should.

In the end, DMC4 is still an excellent game, but to me personally it would have been better either without lock on or with a lock that worked like it should.

"To me personally" is the key word. I mean I once made a complaint to NG fans that the auto-lock on in NG wasn't as very accurate to me and I was shot down like a Japanese Kamikaze plane.

I'm fine with it...everyone else here is fine with it. I'm more upset with some stuff missing in DMC4 from DMC3 such as wall running than being able to toggle lock on while walking.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I personally find it hilarious at how people will go to such lengths to defend such a blatant design flaw.

Then again, these are the same people who say DMC4 and Bayonetta 1 & 2 are better than DMC3. Go figure.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I personally find it hilarious at how people will go to such lengths to defend such a blatant design flaw.

Then again, these are the same people who say DMC4 and Bayonetta 1 & 2 are better than DMC3. Go figure.

Its hilarious to see how people can be so ignorant and spout BS without really even knowing the extent of the topic or the topic that is being defended....Go figure.

Really which people? I never heard anyone say Bayonetta 2 (a game that isn't even finished or come out) was better than DMC3...that is mighty ignorant of you to say.

For someone who claims he doesn't care about Devil May Cry anymore why do you care?

I can say Ninja Gaiden Black is better than DMC3 or any DMC game would you feel offended?

Don't waste your time reporting me because you remember what happened last time.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Says the individual who constantly gets into arguments with other members... it's almost as if you're addicted to starting fights.

What happened to you to make you act this way? Did you not get enough hugs as a child?

NGB is a serviceable game. It competes with DMC3 based on difficulty and quality alone. I wouldn't say it's better as a whole, though.

And at least I never got a temp-ban. Seriously, look at yourself before spewing **** at other members.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Says the individual who constantly gets into arguments with other members... it's almost as if you're addicted to starting fights.

What happened to you to make you act this way? Did you not get enough hugs as a child?

NGB is a serviceable game. It competes with DMC3 based on difficulty and quality alone. I wouldn't say it's better, though.

And at least I never got a temp-ban. Seriously, look at yourself before spewing **** at other members.

Says the guy who jumps on the mods whenever someone slightly disagrees with him and blatantly misuses the report the button to just get his way or on multiple occasions requested to get threads closed down (threads he didn't even make) because people "disagree" with him and won't listen to reason.

I can say your really the insecure one. The mods even had to issue a new policy on using the report button because of you spamming it.
You're the one who needs to look at themselves before spouting crap and making themselves look even more ridiculous.

At least I can handle the heat that I start and not warrant to close down a thread or get a mod involved for no reason. Get out of the kitchen before you get a 3rd degree burn son.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
That's... that's your response? Get out?

Try harder, son. Or better yet, don't. You'll just get your ass banned again.

Wait how can I get myself banned again if you told me to not try harder and if I'm not banned now not raising my efforts to do so will do what now?

See logic.

Ohhhhhh!!!! I love how you ignored the rest of my previous posts says something about you doesn't it.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Like how you ignored the fact that you're always starting fights.

Look at the "DLC Ideas" thread on the DmC board. Not one person agrees with you on that issue.

Why do you fight with everyone? Why must you go through such lengths to disagree with them? Why can't you just come to a compromise once in a while?

I'm asking you seriously now... what exactly is your personal issue here when it comes to starting fights?

I can talk it over with you on PM if you want. Seriously, don't go out of your way to just disagree with everyone you have an problem with here. You're only hurting yourself in the end.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Like how you ignored the fact that you're always starting fights.

Look at the "DLC Ideas" thread on the DmC board. Not one person agrees with you on that issue.

tumblr_macissrr5D1qd90klo1_500.gif

Why do you fight with everyone? Why must you go through such lengths to disagree with them? Why can't you just come to a compromise once in a while?

I'm asking you seriously now... what exactly is your personal issue here when it comes to starting fights?

I can talk it over with you on PM if you want. Seriously, don't go out of your way to just disagree with everyone you have an problem with here. You're only hurting yourself in the end.

Ask Chancey.

I don't disagree with everyone just those I don't agree with.

OH EXCUSE me for having an opinion that differs from others. I guess we should all live in happy land where everyone is on the same side and agrees on sh*t and likes the same thing.

Plus the DLC Thread is a terrible example. I already disagreed with I.D. and Kam and why use them as examples they tend to get into arguments with people all the time and disagree (even if I.D. for the most part is usually about something pointless).

Hurting myself???

1879f18e_e542_e1c6.jpg

Wow you must take this stuff seriously. Fine lets take this to PM before you derail this anymore.

Wait no you can't. I'm looking and you can't swap the L3 or R3 button functions in DMC4....at least on the Console version there is no option to change it the lock-on toggle and camera center button at all...can you in the PC version?

Yeah, I was not aware of this, but it's definitely remappable on the PC, and since the PC version recognizes the xbox controller, i'm surprised to hear this. Can anyone else with DMC4 confirm that they are not able to remap the L3 and R3 functions? What prevents you? Is there no option for it, or are you not properly flipping the two? Because if you only change one to L3 and not the change the other, the game won't let you leave the remap screen.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah, I was not aware of this, but it's definitely remappable on the PC, and since the PC version recognizes the xbox controller, i'm surprised to hear this. Can anyone else with DMC4 confirm that they are not able to remap the L3 and R3 functions? What prevents you? Is there no option for it, or are you not properly flipping the two? Because if you only change one to L3 and not the change the other, the game won't let you leave the remap screen.

There is no option to do it.....AT ALL!

I'm at the control reconfigure screen and there is no option to change them.but everything else (except the option to change the camera and character movement too).

There is no option to do it.....AT ALL!

I'm at the control reconfigure screen and there is no option to change them.but everything else (except the option to change the camera and character movement too).

Is there anyway you can take a screenshot with a smartphone or something. I really want to see the difference in the screen.

Top Bottom