• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC3 Retconned DMC1? I Wanna Know

Did DMC3 retcon DMC1?

• Yes, DMC3 retconned DMC1.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, DMC3 is the proper prequel to DMC1.

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
This is part two of my "I Wanna Know Something" series.

I know some of you have said that DMC3 retconned everything DMC1 had to offer rather than a prequel to it and preferred the first volume of the novel over that in terms of story. And it is also what Reuben Langdon said that DMC3 is a DMC1 reboot in his interview about DmC, I suppose.

So now I wanna know:
Did DMC3 retcon DMC1? If yes, then what things in DMC3 made some of you people think this retconned DMC1? Please explain too.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i feel like DMC3 and 4 is like a parallel universe not to the point of DmC but sorta like frank miller's batman year one can diverge into either the miller verse or the main universe. and DMC4 is like the miller universe where as DMC1/2 is like the main universe

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
To add to my previous entry, Dante was the one who was traumatized by his mom's death.

He had nightmares about her death alot and even tired to forgot the events that transpired by changing his name to Tony Redgrave. He also clung to Force Edge out of fear and loneliness.

He saved Trish because she looks like his mom and he didn't want to see her die.

Rebellion/Yamato didn't exist. Force Edge was left to Dante.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
There are a few notable changes in the timeline, if I'm not mistaken and Rebellion/ Yamato didn't get an mention in DMC1. But nothing major as I assume it was all name changes... Also the comment on DMC3 Dante being a wild stallion while DMC1 Dante was very down to earth can be explained in a few words people -_- "He grows up!" His development from DMC3 Dante to DMC1 Dante to DMC2 Dante was actually pretty nice. (DMC4 Dante, on the other hand is a different story)

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
There are a few notable changes in the timeline, if I'm not mistaken and Rebellion/ Yamato didn't get an mention in DMC1. But nothing major as I assume it was all name changes... Also the comment on DMC3 Dante being a wild stallion while DMC1 Dante was very down to earth can be explained in a few words people -_- "He grows up!" His development from DMC3 Dante to DMC1 Dante to DMC2 Dante was actually pretty nice. (DMC4 Dante, on the other hand is a different story)

True, but when you hear how he tried his hardest to forget about the events of his mom's death, clinging to force edge out of fear, and changing his own name just to forget, you'd think him as a younger person would have more internal issues with himself and his past.

But yet in DMC3, it seems he doesn't care at all about what happened in his past and only cares about having a party with demons and not giving a damn.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
True, but when you hear how he tried his hardest to forget about the events of his mom's death, clinging to force edge out of fear, and changing his own name just to forget, you'd think him as a younger person would have more internal issues with himself and his past.

But yet in DMC3, it seems he doesn't care at all about what happened in his past and only cares about having a party with demons and not giving a damn.
I thought the whole name changing thing only happened in the novel? But in any case I always thought he chose an indirect way of grieving over his loses and to be fair his father was the major role in DMC3. Out of comments he makes in his defense he seems to respect him in small doses despite not truly knowing him that well. Maybe the whole demon hunting thing was more of his way of channeling emotions until Lady started getting personal with him about family matters, then he finally opened his eyes and realized "Damn maybe I'm not over this like I thought I was..." thus leading him to be more serious in DMC1 about his devil hunting and less standoffish. I mean When Dante in DMC1 says he grieved over his mother, he never said he wasn't able to eventually stomach it. I mean he did still keep her necklace and even tried to retrieve it. My supporting evidence is we can see he really takes comments on his family matters serious when it's one-on-one talk and not when he's fighting maniacs like Beowulf and Arkham. Also we come to see he really does start to treasure his family regardless of their position as he tried to keep from losing Vergil, his only real family left in the world. Maybe he went through some depression after Lady felt him alone to deal with his emotions for years before the events in DMC1.

Just my two cents.

MigsRZXAStylish

All good points, guys! Continue your thoughts on this, because I am not so active around here like I used to...!

EDIT:
But wait! Wasn't Yamato used with the Sparda costume in DMC1? Its moveset was that of the Force Edge's, but you gain DT.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
It's a prequel, nothing in DMC3 really contradicts what DMC shows.

DMC states that vergil was corrupted by mundus when they were 8. vergil is clearly kicking dante's ass as himself and doesn't become corrupt until he's 18.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
DMC1 never mentioned the sword Rebellion...

Therefore, there's no contradiction if it was never mentioned. They've never mentioned how much swords Sparda had in DMC too.

DMC states that vergil was corrupted by mundus when they were 8. vergil is clearly kicking dante's ass as himself and doesn't become corrupt until he's 18.

This was never mentioned in the games neither in the anime, which are the only canon media to the series.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
This was never mentioned in the games neither in the anime, which are the only canon media to the series.

yes it was. in the first few minutes of DMC1 trish states that vergil "was lost to the evil" and later on it is alluded to that vergil died at a young age after fights with nelo angelo. the anime is another story in itself about patty and people wanting the power of sparda. the anime never really emntions dante's mother or vergil or mundus or anyone else from the games.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Therefore, there's no contradiction if it was never mentioned. They've never mentioned how much swords Sparda had in DMC too.

Force Edge was the sword Sparda left not Rebellion. The novel backs up that claim as well with this

"After his mother's death, Tony had become obsessed with an old sword left behind by his father. His younger self had deliriously clutched the weapon out of fear and loneliness."

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Force Edge was the sword Sparda left not Rebellion. The novel backs up that claim as well with this

"After his mother's death, Tony had become obsessed with an old sword left behind by his father. His younger self had deliriously clutched the weapon out of fear and loneliness."

Novels are not canon to the series. And they never mention how many swords Sparda had, DMC implies that he had Yamato too when we use his costume, but again, they never mentioned how much swords; at that time we only had clue to know Yamato, and as a matter of fact FE/Sparda.

yes it was. in the first few minutes of DMC1 trish states that vergil "was lost to the evil" and later on it is alluded to that vergil died at a young age after fights with nelo angelo. the anime is another story in itself about patty and people wanting the power of sparda. the anime never really emntions dante's mother or vergil or mundus or anyone else from the games.

Trish really mention that he "lost his mother and brother to evil 20 years ago", which is inconsistent but not really contradicts DMC3 as it's not even a clear statement about all their past; as the story remains the same that Mundus (ordered to) kill Eva and separated Vergil and Dante in some way that we don't really know.

But that should hit the point home: DMC3 never tried to wipeout what DMC left on its background. It worked what already existed and they've build a game based on what Kamiya left for them, thus narrating an story prior to the first DMC; that's why it's a prequel and not a reboot.

Also, i think you confused yourself, as Nelo Angelo is Vergil himself in his corrupted form, who defeated Vergil was Mundus.

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all the continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

Even if there's some incronguency between dialogues and events, it kept all the continuity of the series. DMC1 still happens after DMC3, that's why they leave an opening to lead to the exact events that happened in DMC1; they've never touched what happens on DMC1 and is still a part of the timeline. A reboot should have to make "another DMC1" to continue that story. I think that should hit the point home and show why DMC3 can't be considered a reboot at all, even if it changed some things (like that implied past of Vergil in Trish's dialogue, that Dante itself not confirms that was exactly what happened) that would be later clarified by Kamiya, if it's not shown in official media it's not part of the story at all; what Kamiya had in mind is not what he showed to players, if he envisioned something different it's completely another thing, the official Devil May Cry is what we see in the games and whatever Capcom decide to consider canon (like the recently confirmed information that Nero is indeed Vergil's Son in the japanese artbooks, although no one knows who is he's mother or when she get pregnant of him).

MigsRZXAStylish

Novels are not canon to the series. And they never mention how many swords Sparda had, DMC implies that he had Yamato too when we use his costume, but again, they never mentioned how much swords; at that time we only had clue to know Yamato, and as a matter of fact FE/Sparda.

Trish really mention that he "lost his mother and brother to evil 20 years ago", which is inconsistent but not really contradicts DMC3 as it's not even a clear statement about all their past; as the story remains the same that Mundus (ordered to) kill Eva and separated Vergil and Dante in some way that we don't really know.

But that should hit the point home: DMC3 never tried to wipeout what DMC left on its background. It worked what already existed and they've build a game based on what Kamiya left for them, thus narrating an story prior to the first DMC; that's why it's a prequel and not a reboot.

Also, i think you confused yourself, as Nelo Angelo is Vergil himself in his corrupted form, who defeated Vergil was Mundus.

Even if there's some incronguency between dialogues and events, it kept all the continuity of the series. DMC1 still happens after DMC3, that's why they leave an opening to lead to the exact events that happened in DMC1; they've never touched what happens on DMC1 and is still a part of the timeline. A reboot should have to make "another DMC1" to continue that story. I think that should hit the point home and show why DMC3 can't be considered a reboot at all, even if it changed some things (like that implied past of Vergil in Trish's dialogue, that Dante itself not confirms that was exactly what happened) that would be later clarified by Kamiya, if it's not shown in official media it's not part of the story at all; what Kamiya had in mind is not what he showed to players, if he envisioned something different it's completely another thing, the official Devil May Cry is what we see in the games and whatever Capcom decide to consider canon (like the recently confirmed information that Nero is indeed Vergil's Son in the japanese artbooks, although no one knows who is he's mother or when she get pregnant of him).

Not all DMC fans can buy all what you and Capcom said....! For example, DarkSlayerZero here cannot accept Capcom's official canon.

I don't care what's canon in this "series" anymore if you ask me...

Top Bottom