• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Special Edition

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Well, DMC 2 also had underwater sections. I think it would have been cool if the controls weren't crappy, and it was executed better overall.
To be fair though it was in 3rd person and controlled way better, besides maybe when you had to fight that underwater boss a Lucia.

berto

I Saw the Devil
For those of you who are talking about the controls in the underwater and plain controls. You all know that whatever the analog stick is set to the d pad is set to the opposite, right? If you don't like the set up on the analog stick use the dpad instead.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
For many people it's really awkward to use the DPad.

Yeah, I'd rather use an iPad.

@meg5493: Yeh, I know. I was just pointing out that there were actually underwater sections in DMC 2 as well, since AR's post seemed to suggest otherwise; giving credit to DMC 2 for not having those sections, although it does. I wasn't trying to go douche-mode and be like "Bro, you wrong!". I just thought it was worth mentioning.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!

@meg5493: Yeh, I know. I was just pointing out that there were actually underwater sections in DMC 2 as well, since AR's post seemed to suggest otherwise; giving credit to DMC 2 for not having those sections, although it does. I wasn't trying to go douche-mode and be like "Bro, you wrong!". I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I get that I think it was more of a DMC2 had better water sections than 1 which in all honesty it did

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter

Were they in Lucia's missions? Never played them, Dante's were more then enough of DMC2

Goldsickle

Bayonetta shows that Kamiya takes certain preference into consideration, where he allows us to adjust controls for various situations, like manning a turret or controlling a missile, allowing us to pick inverted or not.

Whatever random scenarios developers toss at us, hopefully they will all feature similar customization.

Redgrave Kyo

Unusual sight
Not sure whether posting here would be appropriate due to the last reply being two weeks ago, but I'll take a shot at it.

I would clearly see a remake of the first game, not only some Special Edition. First because making remakes of original games are kinda popular these years. But for the franchise, there are some reasons :
- Devil May Cry developed the Style system, which renders DMC1 Dante completely shallow. With Devil May Cry 1 being between 3 and 4, you would now expect Dante to follow the same gameplay in terms of timeline.
- Vergil's whereabouts and character themselves are to be questioned here. Devil May Cry 1 was somehow written to be a one-shot game (if my memory serves right, as it was intended to be a Biohazard game at first), with Kamiya's vision regarding characters. Trish claimed that the whole family disappeared a ton of years ago, yet Devil May Cry 3 makes it a direct contradiction since it is about both bruh's relationship and history. Thing is, Kamiya disappeared from the franchise's story, hence leaving a difference between how his characters are written and how they are in Devil May Cry 3-4. Heck, because of this slight difference, I would even put Devil May Cry 3 + 4 in a different canon than Devil May Cry 1. He is a strong-willed character, yet he seems to have been controlled quite easily. We do not even know what happened to Vergil outside of Dante remembering him only through a vocal flashback with their birthday. He could as well been kidnapped when the tragedy occured. And here is the problem, the amount of unkown stuff due to this single difference makes a remake necessary for those who care about the story. Regarding Vergil's clues, the only one would could ever have is the "he" Berial referred at, which could be either Sparda or Vergil (since the latter has stayed in Hell at the end of Devil May Cry 3).
- Yamato disappeared at some point : Vergil fights Mundus with the said sword, yet he's found without it when he got turned into Nelo Angelo... And we find it broken in Devil May Cry 4. Aside from assumptions, that's quite a big hole in the story (and by there, I mean that even from Devil May Cry standards, that's quite an hole). Having a remake could give us some explanation. And to add material to my previous point, Devil May Cry 1 does not even state that Vergil ever wielded Yamato.

That being said, that would be if and only if Capcom would give a sh*t about this. Nero became an established character (judging by the amount of Devil May Cry 4 related stuff), and Capcom would surely not remove him from any game onwards. Plus, Capcom's gotta do something about Vergil-Nero's relationship ; even if the Captivate statement made it clear, they gave us only hints so far. As for me, I do not believe in Vergil's death (he barely "disappeared" with no corpse or even near-from-death state, he rather looked like someone who got exorcised), and some later appearance in the story would not be out of the question. That being said, a story with Vergil seems kinda unlikely unless they plan to make him playable in some DLC or Special Edition version, since Vergil was never playable in an original game so far. ... Heck, even if they do, since they barely add one or two cutscenes for the "original series" each time it happens, that's not enough in order to develop the matter further. Unless Devil May Cry 5 is about Mundus' return, yet Dante does not have a son. Unless² they use Vergil's whereabouts (if he -is- alive in a DMC5 DLC)

(Ararara... Most of my post ended up being about Vergil... :/ Problem with Dante is that most of his chara' developement has been covered in Devil May Cry 1 & 3)

Last edited:

NeloAndJello

I can second your ideas except the playable characters. I mean Trish would make sense I guess, she's in the story, but Vergil, Nero...?
It doesn't really make sense, but I'd like to see them integrated into the story. They integrated Vergil into DMC4 SE as a fully functional character even though he was never mentioned in the actual game. Vergil kind of appeared in the story, but it would be more of a "You can play as these guys in the missions" like in 3 & 4 SE not a "There's a different story now" like Vergil's Downfall or Dead Rising 2 Off The Record.

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
I would really love to see a full on remake of the original, with all the same story beats but a better script, more coherent characterization and polished and updated gameplay. Still my favorite Dante characterization wise but there are things they could clarify about him.

I'd play the heckies out of it, even though I admit there is something about the rough hewn original that I find charming.

NeloAndJello

Not sure whether posting here would be appropriate due to the last reply being two weeks ago, but I'll take a shot at it.

I would clearly see a remake of the first game, not only some Special Edition. First because making remakes of original games are kinda popular these years. But for the franchise, there are some reasons :
- Devil May Cry developed the Style system, which renders DMC1 Dante completely shallow. With Devil May Cry 1 being between 3 and 4, you would now expect Dante to follow the same gameplay in terms of timeline.
- Vergil's whereabouts and character themselves are to be questioned here. Devil May Cry 1 was somehow written to be a one-shot game (if my memory serves right, as it was intended to be a Biohazard game at first), with Kamiya's vision regarding characters. Trish claimed that the whole family disappeared a ton of years ago, yet Devil May Cry 3 makes it a direct contradiction since it is about both bruh's relationship and history. Thing is, Kamiya disappeared from the franchise's story, hence leaving a difference between how his characters are written and how they are in Devil May Cry 3-4. Heck, because of this slight difference, I would even put Devil May Cry 3 + 4 in a different canon than Devil May Cry 1. He is a strong-willed character, yet he seems to have been controlled quite easily. We do not even know what happened to Vergil outside of Dante remembering him only through a vocal flashback with their birthday. He could as well been kidnapped when the tragedy occured. And here is the problem, the amount of unkown stuff due to this single difference makes a remake necessary for those who care about the story. Regarding Vergil's clues, the only one would could ever have is the "he" Berial referred at, which could be either Sparda or Vergil (since the latter has stayed in Hell at the end of Devil May Cry 3).
- Yamato disappeared at some point : Vergil fights Mundus with the said sword, yet he's found without it when he got turned into Nelo Angelo... And we find it broken in Devil May Cry 4. Aside from assumptions, that's quite a big hole in the story (and by there, I mean that even from Devil May Cry standards, that's quite an hole). Having a remake could give us some explanation. And to add material to my previous point, Devil May Cry 1 does not even state that Vergil ever wielded Yamato.

That being said, that would be if and only if Capcom would give a sh*t about this. Nero became an established character (judging by the amount of Devil May Cry 4 related stuff), and Capcom would surely not remove him from any game onwards. Plus, Capcom's gotta do something about Vergil-Nero's relationship ; even if the Captivate statement made it clear, they gave us only hints so far. As for me, I do not believe in Vergil's death (he barely "disappeared" with no corpse or even near-from-death state, he rather looked like someone who got exorcised), and some later appearance in the story would not be out of the question. That being said, a story with Vergil seems kinda unlikely unless they plan to make him playable in some DLC or Special Edition version, since Vergil was never playable in an original game so far. ... Heck, even if they do, since they barely add one or two cutscenes for the "original series" each time it happens, that's not enough in order to develop the matter further. Unless Devil May Cry 5 is about Mundus' return, yet Dante does not have a son. Unless² they use Vergil's whereabouts (if he -is- alive in a DMC5 DLC)

(Ararara... Most of my post ended up being about Vergil... :/ Problem with Dante is that most of his chara' developement has been covered in Devil May Cry 1 & 3)

I'm pretty sure that Hideki Kamiya planned DMC1 to just be the only one in the series, because when Hideaki Itsuno took over, it left a bunch of plot holes.
  • The name of Dante's store was Devil Never Cry at the end of DMC1, yet in DMC2 it's Devil May Cry again
  • Trish says Dante lost his family 20 years ago, despite Vergil being present in DMC3
  • Vergil is COMPLETLEY absent in 2 and 4 (Not even a mention)
I think that if there was a complete DMC1 remake (It's December so I'd say it's not gonna happen), I don't think it would fix any of the plot holes. The only way they could fix it is if they got Trish to re-record some lines. Where instead of saying "Devil Never Cry" when picking up the phone at the end of the game, and having her say "You're the one who lost your mother to evil 20 years ago, Mr Dante" rather than bringing Vergil into it. They added a few more lines to make DmC's story make more sense, so why can't they do the same with DMC1?

Adding a whole new style system to the game would be interesting, but Dante has styles in 3 and 4, not in 1, and you mentioned that but no one mentions that the of all the weapons Dante gets, he has never kept ANY of them. Rebellion and Ebony and Ivory don't count, but so far the only person that has kept a weapon they've obtained from a demon in the series is Vergil, as he is present with it in 3 and 4SE, although 4SE might not be canon so we don't know, and considering Vergil is taken under the wing of Mundus at the end of 3, and is still a normal person in 4SE, I'd say it's non canon.

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
Lorewise I believe Dante sells most of his Devil Arms in the underground market to pay for the overhead of his office. I wouldn't mind Rebellion getting a mention, though, in a remake. Its absence after the fact has always been curious. Force Edge goes on this adventure and seems to be his heirloom but as we all know Force Edge is not the Rebellion.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@NeloAndJello
Actually I've been reading many times during the years that Kamiya did plan on continuing the series.

Also, as I remember, in DMC1 Trish says Dante lost his brother TO EVIL years ago. Rather than being dead, that sounds more like Vergil got seduced by his demonic power, which fits with how he is depicted in 3. It could also reference the fact that Mundus took control of his mind,m making him his slave, basically.

Lastly, Vergil actually is mentioned in 4, Dante explains to Nero Yamato is originally his brother's sword. And heck, one could argue that Yamato being a plot point alone is a big reference to Vergil overall. In 2, you're right, I can't remember a single reference, everybody agrees that game is by far the one that feels the most disconnected in the series, and if you ask me, THAT game is in dire need of a remake, cause it was pretty much a failure in story, gameplay, level design, enemy design, whathaveyou.

So, aside from the shop's name being changed, I can't see your points. Maybe can you elaborate on them a little bit more?

Kurisu

Bunny mom
One thing I would like in DMC 1 remake is that they would let you play the mission you want without having to play the whole game again. That really ****ed me off when I beated the game.

Viper

Premium
Lastly, Vergil actually is mentioned in 4, Dante explains to Nero Yamato is originally his brother's sword. And heck, one could argue that Yamato being a plot point alone is a big reference to Vergil overall. In 2, you're right, I can't remember a single reference, everybody agrees that game is by far the one that feels the most disconnected in the series, and if you ask me, THAT game is in dire need of a remake, cause it was pretty much a failure in story, gameplay, level design, enemy design, whathaveyou.

From what i heard, production of DMC2 started while DMC1 was still fresh out of the oven (although some say while it was still in it), and without Kamiya's knowledge, so kinda hard to connect things one doesn't know about.
DMC2 also is the only game where Sparda is not in focus, and there really wasn't any good opportunity for Dante to blab out he had a brother once.
The only thing that is a failure here is your claim that DMC2 is failure in every point. It has problems, but is otherwise a decent game, and you just sound like someone with too high expectations. :thumbsdown:

Reactions: Gel

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The only thing that is a failure here is your claim that DMC2 is failure in every point.

Or maybe your attempt at defending it.

Seriously now, I don't know your criteria, but as for me, a game with an incredibly dull story, an even duller protagonist, poor gameplay with practically every enemy being cheesable with maxed out pistols and tedious level design, with all that running around in overly big areas, I tend to judge that pretty much a failure, yeah. You may disagree but in my eyes, there are FAR too many problems to say it's even decent.
Besides, I didn't even say it's a failure in every aspect. I do recognize the - IMO, very few - good things that are there, I've said it in some posts in the past.

Maybe I sound like with someone with too high expectations (as if that wasn't legit after a game as good as Devil May Cry back in the day anyway), but you sound like someone in denial to me. It is no secret that DMC2's development process was a VERY messed up one and the game turned out badly as a result, by the developers' own admission too. That's why I said it needs a remake the most.

Top Bottom