• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC Lives! Capcom plans on releasing a new DMC before the end of 2017's fiscal year.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
wouldn't bianca be a more realistic and actually existing name?

Bianco exists too, as a person's name. An elementary school mate of mine was called that way and I remember everyone mocked him for it cause Bianco is vastly more common as a surname.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Bianco exists too, as a person's name. An elementary school mate of mine was called that way and I remember everyone mocked him for it cause Bianco is vastly more common as a surname.
Huh...

200_s.gif

Dante Deve Morire

Trapped in Limbo
wouldn't bianca be a more realistic and actually existing name?

Well yes... Not a common name but yes... Nero means literally Black but in reality is like the italian name Nerone (like the emperor of Rome)... Like Vergil (Virgilio in the Italian Divine Comedy) and Dante well it's just Dante... There are a lots of those situations... This is one of the many facts i love in Devil May Cry... There are so much references with other works in Devil May Cry and in DmC too... Characters, weapons, places... Devil May Cry is much more than an action videogames series...

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well yes... Not a common name but yes... Nero means literally Black but in reality is like the italian name Nerone (like the emperor of Rome)... Like Vergil (Virgilio in the Italian Divine Comedy) and Dante well it's just Dante... There are a lots of those situations... This is one of the many facts i love in Devil May Cry... There are so much references with other works in Devil May Cry and in DmC too... Characters, weapons, places... Devil May Cry is much more than an action videogames series...
Dude, yeah, we know. Believe me, we know. I asked Kobayashi about Nero's name once and he said I'll leave it to your imagination. Besides, it wasn't exactly the hardest code to crack.

Sparda is also of Italian origin. They wanted to call him Spada, which is Italian for sword, but it didn't have quite the right ring, so before 300 popularized it they tweaked it a little to Sparda.

Dante Deve Morire

Trapped in Limbo
Of course you know... I didn't want put question about it LLLOL Cool story that of Sparda... He reminds me from ever the city of God of war... About DmC references one of my favourite is that with Eryx...

JPunxR

Devil Punter
If anything, i'm fine with a DmC2 as long they fix the combat mechanics similar to DMC3/4. That or a game about Sparda's origin would be neat.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
On the optimistic side, supposing this hypothetical game is being made, when would we be likely to hear about it.

Y'know, just so I know when to get my hopes up only to inevitably be disappointed when it's DMC pachinko or something.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Seriously guys, just move on.

No probs, I didn't respond to him, I just wanted to point out to LOD that I wasn't making stuff up last time, since I talked to him about Vinosh. I mean, obvious flamebaiter is obvious.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
On the optimistic side, supposing this hypothetical game is being made, when would we be likely to hear about it.

Y'know, just so I know when to get my hopes up only to inevitably be disappointed when it's DMC pachinko or something.
probably next year(or after) if the 2017 fiscal year rumor is to be believed

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I actually speak a language that derives from latin (the actual language they spoke in the Roman Empire), which is portuguese; spanish, italian and french derive from the same latin roots, so they share a lot of phonetic similarities. Nero is the actual exact name for the Roman Emperor, which killed a lot of christians and has the famous quote "Christians to the lions" -
In latin: "Christiani ad lacum leonum perrexit" - In portuguese: "Cristãos aos leões",
not Nerone haha, but i don't doubt italians calls him Nerone, there are a lot of names that are pretty much the same all over the word that was because of european influence, but suffer changes depending on what language it is translated: Dante is actually translated as it is in portuguese, and Vergil in portuguese would appear as Vergilio, Virgilio in italian, some english names like Mathew appears as Mateus here, John as João, Anthony as Antônio, and most of these names comes from the Holy Bible, and originally were hebrew (jewish) names. For me Sparda always sounded fun, because Sword in portuguese translates to Espada, you almost say Espada when pronouncing Sparda (if you pronounce it with a brazilian/portuguese accent), Nero is similar to Negro, Nigro, Noir which means black in portuguese, italian and french, respectively. Kyrie actually comes straight from Kyrie Eleison, which is Greek for "Lord, have mercy" and was a part of most catholic chants, Credo is portuguese AND latin for belief, you can say crença instead of credo, but they are actually synonyms; and credo is an expression for actually something fun in actual times here in Brazil that i would prefer for you guys to discover for yourselves, but it's nothing obscene, just actually fun.

There's a music in DMC4 (Dante's battle) that's named Forza del Destino and it means Power of Destiny, and would translate for Força do Destino in portuguese. Angelo is a name here in Brazil, but the radical of the word is the same in english (comes from Angel, Angelus in latin, probably native english speakers borrowed this from the romans seeing that the whole christian religion came to England because of the Roman Empire). Agnus means lamb in latin, but the modern languages use very different words. Luce is light in italian, it is similar to Luz (portuguese) and Lux (latin), Ombra is shadow in italian similar do Sombra (portuguese) and Umbra (latin) - remember something about this last one?

There's a lot of these little things about names in Devil May Cry that us guys that speak languages that derives from latin must have very different impressions about them in comparison to you guys that are native english speakers haha. I like to search for these little things about DMC names.

EDIT:

Forgot one: White translates to Branco, in portuguese.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gel

berto

I Saw the Devil
I actually speak a language that derives from latin (the actual language they spoke in the Roman Empire), which is portuguese; spanish, italian and french derive from the same latin roots, so they share a lot of phonetic similarities. Nero is the actual exact name for the Roman Emperor, which killed a lot of christians and has the famous quote "Christians to the lions" -
In latin: "Christiani ad lacum leonum perrexit" - In portuguese: "Cristãos aos leões",
not Nerone haha, but i don't doubt italians calls him Nerone, there are a lot of names that are pretty much the same all over the word that was because of european influence, but suffer changes depending on what language it is translated: Dante is actually translated as it is in portuguese, and Vergil in portuguese would appear as Vergilio, Virgilio in italian, some english names like Mathew appears as Mateus here, John as João, Anthony as Antônio, and most of these names comes from the Holy Bible, and originally were hebrew (jewish) names. For me Sparda always sounded fun, because Sword in portuguese translates to Espada, you almost say Espada when pronouncing Sparda (if you pronounce it with a brazilian/portuguese accent), Nero is similar to Negro, Nigro, Noir which means black in portuguese, italian and french, respectively. Kyrie actually comes straight from Kyrie Eleison, which is Greek for "Lord, have mercy" and was a part of most catholic chants, Credo is portuguese AND latin for belief, you can say crença instead of credo, but they are actually synonyms; and credo is an expression for actually something fun in actual times here in Brazil that i would prefer for you guys to discover for yourselves, but it's nothing obscene, just actually fun.

There's a music in DMC4 (Dante's battle) that's named Forza del Destino and it means Power of Destiny, and would translate for Força do Destino in portuguese. Angelo is a name here in Brazil, but the radical of the word is the same in english (comes from Angel, Angelus in latin, probably native english speakers borrowed this from the romans seeing that the whole christian religion came to England because of the Roman Empire). Agnus means lamb in latin, but the modern languages use very different words. Luce is light in italian, it is similar to Luz (portuguese) and Lux (latin), Ombra is shadow in italian similar do Sombra (portuguese) and Umbra (latin) - remember something about this last one?

There's a lot of these little things about names in Devil May Cry that us guys that speak languages that derives from latin must have very different impressions about them in comparison to you guys that are native english speakers haha. I like to search for these little things about DMC names.
You're overthinking it a bit, mate. While nothing you say is untrue the origins of the cast of DMC4 are actually just the names of mass music. With an Ordinarium you start with your Kyrie, then the second part is Gloria, move on to Credo, after that it's Sanctus and Benedictus, and it finishes with Agnus Dei. While etymology is always educational it's not I don't know if you have to look that far back to see where things came from in regards to the game.

For example, Dante's name comes from the poet, but at the same time you could take it further and say Dante is actually short for Durante, as in lasting. That's cool to know but it's hardly the reasoning behind the name.

Or are you really actually just giving us a etymology lesson?

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
You're overthinking it a bit, mate. While nothing you say is untrue the origins of the cast of DMC4 are actually just the names of mass music. With an Ordinarium you start with your Kyrie, then the second part is Gloria, move on to Credo, after that it's Sanctus and Benedictus, and it finishes with Agnus Dei. While etymology is always educational it's not I don't know if you have to look that far back to see where things came from in regards to the game.

For example, Dante's name comes from the poet, but at the same time you could take it further and say Dante is actually short for Durante, as in lasting. That's cool to know but it's hardly the reasoning behind the name.

Or are you really actually just giving us a etymology lesson?

Why not? It's interesting piece of trivia in my opinion, and a chance to know more without even needing to search on the internet or open a book; obviously i'm well aware that they could have researched things or simply throwed them in the game, but the whole point was to compare and show how these names can sound different if you came from a cultural background that has this intersection with the names used in the game.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why not? It's interesting piece of trivia in my opinion, and a chance to know more without even needing to search on the internet or open a book; obviously i'm well aware that they could have researched things or simply throwed them in the game, but the whole point was to compare and show how these names can sound different if you came from a cultural background that has this intersection with the names used in the game.
So it was just a etymology lesson then. Cool, then.

Piece of advice. This paragraph:
In latin: "Christiani ad lacum leonum perrexit" - In portuguese: "Cristãos aos leões", not Nerone haha, but i don't doubt italians calls him Nerone, there are a lot of names that are pretty much the same all over the word that was because of european influence, but suffer changes depending on what language it is translated: Dante is actually translated as it is in portuguese, and Vergil in portuguese would appear as Vergilio, Virgilio in italian, some english names like Mathew appears as Mateus here, John as João, Anthony as Antônio, and most of these names comes from the Holy Bible, and originally were hebrew (jewish) names. For me Sparda always sounded fun, because Sword in portuguese translates to Espada, you almost say Espada when pronouncing Sparda (if you pronounce it with a brazilian/portuguese accent), Nero is similar to Negro, Nigro, Noir which means black in portuguese, italian and french, respectively. Kyrie actually comes straight from Kyrie Eleison, which is Greek for "Lord, have mercy" and was a part of most catholic chants, Credo is portuguese AND latin for belief, you can say crença instead of credo, but they are actually synonyms; and credo is an expression for actually something fun in actual times here in Brazil that i would prefer for you guys to discover for yourselves, but it's nothing obscene, just actually fun.
Waaayyyy too crowded. With this background it's really taxing on the eye to read that thick a body of text. Try breaking it up into more smaller paragraphs to give the eyes some rest.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
So it was just a etymology lesson then. Cool, then.

Piece of advice. This paragraph:

Waaayyyy too crowded. With this background it's really taxing on the eye to read that thick a body of text. Try breaking it up into more smaller paragraphs to give the eyes some rest.

Thanks for the tips; i'll surely take it into account when making another long text here.

Top Bottom