• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC "Deserved Better"

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
I probably would have liked it more if it was actually in the UK because i was a big Being Human, Misfits, Dr. Who/Torchwood fan when this game came out.

Tbh I never got the need for westernization as i grew up watching anime and Im pretty sure most my age read more Naruto than DC/Marvel growing up.
Yeah, it was DBZ, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin, Toonami was the f***ing s**t back then. Remember those two minute little promos they would have with all the shows mixed in with that badass music? The one called Dreams was one of my favorite ones and Mad Rhetoric too , man I miss those days.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I probably would have liked it more if it was actually in the UK because i was a big Being Human, Misfits, Dr. Who/Torchwood fan when this game came out.
I'm curious, would it have really made a difference if it had been set in the UK as opposed to the vague American city it already was.

The classic series was very American in its urban areas after all.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Yeah, it was DBZ, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin, Toonami was the f***ing s**t back then. Remember those two minute little promos they would have with all the shows mixed in with that badass music? The one called Dreams was one of my favorite ones and Mad Rhetoric too , man I miss those days.
Saint Seiya had "I ran away" by Flock of Seagulls, that was pretty sweet.

I'm curious, would it have really made a difference if it had been set in the UK as opposed to the vague American city it already was.

The classic series was very American in its urban areas after all.
It would have been a stronger stylistic choice but without more thought, I don't think it might have made a huge difference.

Tbh the only time we saw dante's area was in the anime and everybody dressed like their from the 1800s, outside of that one waitress who was from a 50s roller derby.

Goldsickle

Tbh the only time we saw dante's area was in the anime and everybody dressed like their from the 1800s, outside of that one waitress who was from a 50s roller derby.
Hideki Kamiya mentioned something about how the setting of Devil May Cry is a time where there are no cellphones.
I remember reading that somewhere.

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
Saint Seiya had "I ran away" by Flock of Seagulls, that was pretty sweet.
Yeah but whenever I hear that song that immediately think of GTA Vice City. Just singing the song in my head right now, I can clearly picture Tommy running away from the cops.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Hideki Kamiya mentioned something about how the setting of Devil May Cry is a time where there are no cellphones.
I just wanted an excuse to post this awesome video.

It's barely related to the topic (no cellphones and talking about demons) -- but I'm counting it, nonetheless.

Last edited:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I remember reading that somewhere.
Artbook sets DMC universe in 70's/80's, somewhere in Europe.Even retconned, the setting is still before cellphone's era.

been with dmc since the beginning and the reboot is by far the best, a true master piece.. i dont even see it as a reboot i see as an origins story.. ppl complaining about it and not playing are missing out because of a haircut.. for the most part they kept it a tru dmc unlike resident evil.. now we prob wont get a new dmc

DDutchguy

DmC hype
been with dmc since the beginning and the reboot is by far the best, a true master piece.. i dont even see it as a reboot i see as an origins story.. ppl complaining about it and not playing are missing out because of a haircut.. for the most part they kept it a tru dmc unlike resident evil.. now we prob wont get a new dmc

The different Dante is one thing, but I think a lot of high-level DMC players that already mastered the DMC3 and 4 combat systems were disappointed with the DmC combat. The DMC3 and 4 combat systems are a lot more complicated than the DmC system is (with styles and the like being a factor) so a lot of players were done fairly quickly with the DmC combat and went back to the other games. It all comes down to personal preference and how used to the older games you are.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
i dont even see it as a reboot i see as an origins story...
Same here.

I actually "retconned" DmC and DMC3 through a short fanfiction synopsis.

In it, Dante and Vergil transform from Angel/Demon hybrids to Human/Demon hybrids because they burned away their Angelic essence in the events where Dante fought Vergil and Vergil fought against himself in the Underworld.

Now that I think about it, Vergil was the cause of them both becoming half-human, so he makes a far bigger impact in that story than in DmC.

Last edited:

Judge

I actually checked on the sales not long ago. DmC sold about 1.8 mil. Its really not bad, I would have even said this is good for Ninja Theory. Unfortunatley Capcom wanted and expected a lot more.

Who knows maybe one day. The other issue is I have seen nothing from Capcom aside from Resident Evil. I don't even know what games they make anymore. Its like they've slowly dissapeared from sight. The only decent game I can remember them making recently was Dragon's Dogma.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The only decent game I can remember them making recently was Dragon's Dogma.
Dragon's Dogma was the biggest surprise of 7th-gen for me. I had literally no idea how much fun it would turn out being, and it was definitely one of the best games they made in the last few years.

Kind of ironic, how they've been almost impressively-screwing up their more recognizable game franchises like Resident Evil and Street Fighter, and do so much better on their more obscure and unknown pet projects like Dragon's Dogma.

Dio Brando

it did its job it brought new blood into the fanbase.
its a ok action game even though it dosnt have much to offer to hardcore fans who played as dante for 3 1/2 games when they were waiting for the new DMC game and all the get is a reboot. its like my best freind went away for eleven year and during that time i got stuck with a imposter who only vaguely reminded me of him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
The game should have been a spin-off or a divorced installment. Preferably the latter. It's how the og DMC got started. People still do combo and skill videos, so at least it has something. You don't see many people doing combo videos of Conan, X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition, Ninja Blade, Dante's Inferno, or Marlo Briggs.

Last edited:

Dio Brando

Someday DmC might find its proper place in the franchise until then i hope there wont be any civil wars over it.

Goldsickle

DmC and Metal Gear Rising truly convinced me that a "lock on-free" scheme is the future of hack-and-slash action games.

Top Bottom