• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC - Classic HUD [WIP]

The Good Gentleman

S'all Part of a Miracle Masterpiece
It's still way too early to even remotely release - in fact, the screenshots below are really just mockups lol. But, it's something I want to get done one of these days.

It's a UI that's closer in design to DMC4. Instead of glowing eyes, you have the Nephalem sigil as the indicator - white is neutral, blue is angelic, red is demonic. And that's really all there is to it. Maybe I'll get it done soonish, maybe very late-ish. Maybe never. It still kind of sucks in a few parts, so there's some things that need working out.

OGeYqFm.jpg

G7WLjal.jpg

1lkK0oP.jpg

QRgJwVp.jpg

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Wow dude! That is actually way cooler than vanilla HUD. Besides, I've always found DMC4 HUD to be the best. Get a like!

If I can make a suggestion, in the Angel symbol, don't color the sword black, make it dark blue, and in the Demon symbol, make the wings dark red.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Good Gentleman

It's not fully black, it's actually transparent at an opacity of 48%. It's a bit hard to see at that size though, but I'll work on it some more.

The Good Gentleman

It's more or less done at this point, so a few more mockups.

5BDXF7F.jpg

XSrRJ9G.jpg

O3iJcd2.jpg

FTS577d.jpg

As you've probably figured....yep, those are indeed the original Devil Trigger runes for Vergil's DT gauge. I wanted something that was a bit more....not-as-boring as a bunch of little white boxes. Not sure how feasible it'll be to implement them, but I imagine they'd be simple enough. If not, there are always the boring boxes.

Now, for some bad news.....I have absolutely no idea how to mod stuff for DmC specifically, and even if I could....I'm on a Mac and can't even run the game to test the stuff out. So, if anyone here is willing to help out, I pretty much have everything finished. :)

Unless you guys think it sucks and needs a scrappin'.....

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
That's really awesome man. I might of done things a bit different, but you've still done a really great job! :thumbsup:

I think it looks good, man. I wouldn't scrap it.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
Wow, I'm loving the improvements. While I still prefer the original HUD, I think your work is awesome. Keep it up!

Judge

I prefer the white translucent HUD of DmC vanilia... but the Nephilm symbol is much better. I personally think the health bar should be the circle of the Nephilim crest and the DT bar should be part of the Nephilim crest.

Although this is great work, I don't know why they didn't use the Nephilm crest in the first place. That design was screaming out to be used for the HUD display.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I dunno I found the vanilla HUD pretty boring. It was just a simple bar as DT and even duller withe blocks as health bar.

The Nephilim crest would definitely have made it look better, yeah.

Judge

I dunno I found the vanilla HUD pretty boring. It was just a simple bar as DT and even duller withe blocks as health bar.

The Nephilim crest would definitely have made it look better, yeah.

The only reason I prefer the translucent white HUD colour is because too many vibrant colours detract your attention from Dante and the onscreen action.

When they made it plain and simple the HUD didn't detract from the vistas and the art design. Aside from that I think the only thing that would make it better is if everything was contained in the Nephilim crest.

I didn't like how the health bar stuck out nearly half way into the screen. So I think everything should've been confined into the Nephilim crest to give a better view of the environment.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!

Personally, I find DmC's vanilla HUD to be very artistically pleasing, and an improvement in gameplay. The HUD encompasses the punk vibe of the game, conveying a graffiti-like style, which I think are an awesome and unique change. It's simpler compared to the original HUDs, but that makes it more intuitive and less intrusive. And I really like how it manages to display more features and mechanics while still remaining minimalistic. From a gameplay and aesthetic design, I believe it's always better to be minimal than bombastic.

The Good Gentleman

Lol, thanks guys.

As for the nephilim crest being used for the entire HUD, I don't think that's actually possible to implement as a mod - and if it is, it's a bag of work that I don't think anyone here is willing to undertake. Mods, by nature, are either minor tweaks to game code, or minor changes to game textures. For example, giving Dante a new character model, or even a palette swap - but he's still Dante. The same animations, the same moveset. Redoing the HUD so that it visually functions differently would require a major tweaking of the game's code.

This "mod" (technically, it's still just a bunch of pictures) on the other hand just replaces the assets that comprise the current code and function. It's just a visual change, but it'll still work exactly the same.

The Good Gentleman

*sigh*

Nope. >_> Doesn't look like this mod is gonna happen anytime too soon. DMCMods is virtually dead, and for some reason I can't even post a thread on there, just telling me "ERROR: Your topic cannot be created at this time." So that's awesome.

The DMC Nexus mods community is only slightly less dead, except to register on there, you actually have to pay. So that's awesome.

Phantom Babies is full of trolls and general dipshits, so even so much being a new member on there will result in nothing but ****heels behaving like they do in their natural environment. So that's awesome.

Infernal Works is dead. So that's awesome.

Steam's DmC modding community is dead. That's awesome too.

And there's pretty much no other DMC modding community other than these five. So that's super awesome.

Sorry to get everybody's hopes up. =_=

The Good Gentleman

Wut? Not really. It's not the most active modding community in gaming, but people keep publish mods there, mostly for DMC4. And then created an SE section too.
Lol, last WIP was February 2013, the last actual release was in January, and the last general discussion was even further back in January.

I could try, but it would just seem like I'm necro-resurrecting a dead forum. Plus that it'll be by a new user, I dunno.

(This is of course regarding DmC forums)

EDIT: Oh, **** it. Nothing to lose.

Top Bottom