• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry - Does It Hold Up?

Does it hold up?

• Total voters

I Make The Devils Cry

I was playing The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D earlier this week, the original being a game that I never really played, and while I'm still a ways from finishing it I've definitely sunk more than enough time into to say that I've fallen in love with it. Usually however I'd keep my distance from a game like this. Why? Because as a rule I tend to stay away from older games, for the fact that they don't always age well -- some age rather terribly at that. This applies not only to games I'm playing for the first time, like MM3D, but games that I used to play when I was younger that I used to, and still, love.

Now, it's been a while since I played the original Devil May Cry. The last time I did it was beginning to show its age, and now part of me is somewhat worried that it simply doesn't hold up at all now. While my love for it won't change if that's the case, some part of me would rather keep those memories of it unsullied. Eventually, regardless of my concern, I'm going to play it again, I won't be able to help myself... However this isn't about me (despite that long build up).

This is my question for you, to those who've gone back recently to a game, that once upon a time changed the face of gaming; Devil May Cry, does it hold up?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
When I replayed trilogy, I honestly had more fun playing DMC1 than DMC3. Its just DMC1 managed to pull pretty good work on enemy AI, something 90% of modern games severely missing. Also challenge in DMC1 was much higher and kept me on toes, which is always upside for me.

KRSkull

OH YEAH it holds up pretty well. i went back and replayed DMC3 a few days ago and i just felt exactly the same way i felt when i picked it up the first time.

Wajpa

Also Viper339 on Twitch!
In my opinion, DMC1 and DMC2 don't hold up really well. I mean, I still love playing DMC1 but I imagine it's because I'm a fan of the series. For a different player I imagine the camera angles, the combat (don't lie, its not even close to being as good as DMC3, DMC4 or DmC) and some other things would get pretty annoying.

On the up side, DMC3 and DMC4 definitely hold up since they improved on some of the things which didn't age well from DMC1. I still play both DMC3 and DMC4 a lot and I enjoy them just like when I first picked them up.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC 1 is still my personal favorite in the entire series, and why most of that may be because of nostalgic heartstrings, I still think it does hold up as a solid action game. It only takes a little bit of tolerance when it comes to dealing with how it's built upon the foundation of older Resident Evil games, which have formulas that haven't aged all that well.

Nightmare Omni

For those of us suckled on the Teat of Resident Evil 1&2 & Parasite Eve & Onimusha the Camera angles are less jarring and more manageable.

I imagine newer Gamers used to floating Camera Views that can be tweaked on the fly would be more frustrated.

DMC1 is a Classic.

The Plot is minimal and Vague but the themes and style more than make up for 2D Characters and Lore as does the Game Progression Scripting.

It still looks Beautiful today.
From the Environments, Enemy Designs, Weapons to the Items both Quest/Key and top ups like the Stars.

Atmospheric and Claustrophobic.... but in a good way.

DMC & Onimusha were and are still damn good. Onimusha 2 did seem to take on a lot of DMC influences too.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Yep! I'm playing DMC1 right now, currently on mission 4 trying to S + SB (Special Bonus) all missions on DMD!, it's an outstanding and overwhelming experience to dive deeply in this game.

Someone talked about the AI, but it's not just about the AI! All enemies in the game are beautifully designed to put a fight, marionettes always appears in groups, and you always have to watch out if none of them have a shotgun, if some of them have, you most focus on killing it first because letting it alive or even worse, DTing, can turn out to be a real problem. Shadows are brilliantly crafted enemies, they seem overpowered when you don't know their attacks, and well balanced when you know how to fight them. Some bosses are masterpieces, my favorite one in this terms is Nightmare 2, the boss looks completely crazy and overwhelming throwing a lot of things for you to dodge at a first glance, but once you know all his patterns, if you pay attention to all the cues, you can beautifully fight him without even being scratched; and it's very rare to see this kind of design even in modern hack'n'slashes, most of them are pretty messed and doesn't balance too well your character vs the bosses, making them too weak or making the player just rely on luck to make a perfect fight (think about Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, there's things in this game that's nearly impossible to dodge; even if it's a really enjoyable and cool hack'n'slash).

Sure, the game is old, and it pretty much created this genre of hack'n'slash, so in terms of mechanics what you have there is plenty of unpolished and new ideas executed very well. And if it lacks in terms of mechanics and diversity, it shines on enemy design and balancing them with the tools at the player's disposal. The cool thing is that it don't rely heavily on execution too, like DMC3 ou DMC4, so even if it's hellish difficult on DMD!, it's pretty accessible even for people who are not very talented/skilled at pressing buttons; you just have to be somewhat good with timing and reflexes (not a lot too, the game is pretty slow compared to modern hack'n'slashers), but the execution of things is all pretty simple.

It's also pretty much the only hack'n'slash i've ever played that has a so "dense" atmosphere, the castle really involves you and has this ability to make you nervous or expect something; it's kinda of a rare trait for the hack'n'slash genre, even the other DMCs don't had much of this feeling for me; the only thing similar i've experienced was hell in DMC3, and even so, to a much lesser extent.

I really encourage you to get the HD collection or install your PS2 to give it another try. Seriously! It's a very enjoyable game... aside from underwater missions and the airplane thing at the end.

EDIT: Just posted this on Instagram, mission 5, DMD, S rank, failed to get the Special Bonus (no damage requirement), tho; but this is just a practice, i'm a little rusty at the game. Had a lot of fun fighting Nelo Angelo in M4 and toying with the shadows on M5

12096525_687428461392483_7014815856771728215_n.jpg

Last edited:

C-Type

I'm replaying this on the PS2 and it brought me here, so yeah, it holds up. Shadow Cat is still the best enemy in the DMC series. The music, sound, atmosphere, enemies and bosses just hit all the right notes in a cohesive package.

I guess the camera is a complaint, but that's on the series and not exclusive to the first DMC.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Nelo Angelo is still one of the best bosses ever

i can't think of any other boss i'v seen in a game can match the atmosphere of his fights

the only one who comes close is Vergil himself

yup the only one who can beat Vergil is Vergil :D

Gray Knight

I enjoyed the game a fair bit, I was a little bit spoiled by the style system and devil bringer so I felt a little limited in the moveset sometimes, but that stuff was mainly supplementary additions to the core fighting. Overall I'd say it still holds up. The camera can take some getting used to but If you like Devil May Cry as a series you should have fun with this game.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I was a little bit spoiled by the style system

It's not just the lack of Styles. The main problem after playing DMC3, 4 and DmC, is the inability to quick switch weapons on the fly, which makes this game's combat limiting, yes, but not exactly just "a little".

I still appreciate this game aesthetically, still kicks ass, and it's got the best enemies in the series, but in the combat department, as well as in the pacing, it's lost a lot of points over the years as the series went on.

Gray Knight

It's not just the lack of Styles. The main problem after playing DMC3, 4 and DmC, is the inability to quick switch weapons on the fly, which makes this game's combat limiting, yes, but not exactly just "a little".

I still appreciate this game aesthetically, still kicks ass, and it's got the best enemies in the series, but in the combat department, as well as in the pacing, it's lost a lot of points over the years as the series went on.
I was thinking of mentioning the slow weapon transition but it slipped my mind. Thank's for reminding me.

Top Bottom