• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ask the Staff Anything

Dark Drakan

Admin
NO plugin has been carried over. XF2 is a complete re-write of the software, so everything is wiped clean. Therefore, any plugin installed before the upgrade are conflicted with the new version. I detailed this here.

I remember reading that but wasnt sure how far Steve had got into finding new plugins or new versions etc, I know he didnt have much time to tweak things after update went live yesterday. Havent had chance to see what is out there for this version myself yet or done much research on it since we decided to roll out updates and fixes rather than doing it all in one go.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I remember reading it but wasnt sure how far Steve had got into finding new plugin versions etc, I know he didnt have much time to tweak things after update went live yesterday.
And there aren't that many plugins available right now. There's not even that many choices with skins, either. It will take a looooong time to get plugins that we want.

Site owners like myself and @Steve want to upgrade to xenForo 2 to remove some of XF1's bottlenecks. It was a good software, but it really needed to be upgraded to conform to today's standards - for example; php and mysql requirements has been upgraded, so that means xenForo 2 takes full advantage of the latest schema changes in both processors. And from 2.0.2's new features, it sounds like that isn't stopping there.

Dark Drakan

Admin
And there aren't that many plugins available right now. There's not even that many choices with skins, either. It will take a looooong time to get plugins that we want.

I expected as much to be honest, was the same when we first switched from vBulletin to Xenforo originally.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I expected as much to be honest, was the same when we first switched from vBulletin to Xenforo originally.
The reason why we don't modify stuff too much is because every time we upgrade, we don't want to have to get back into templates and re-add code to do what we want it to do. Plugins make it easy for us not to do that.

Last edited:

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Hey, guys. ^^

So with the new layout, I noticed my signature pic was kind of obnoxiously big. I was wondering if there's a feature where I could shrink it down so that I wouldn't have to go without it, completely? I've been using the "insert image" function, but it doesn't seem to have a sizing capability.

Thanks in advance!

I think everyone is just going to have to resize their signature pictures to fit now. Unlike the old system this one doesn't limit the size of the pics to a small pocket space you can scroll down, now you have to resize or crop your signatures.

No worries, this is quite an easy fix and thankfully doesn't require a plugin. I can do it one of two ways, both very straight forward:
  • Use a little CSS to automatically scale particularly large images down that exceed a certain maximum height (maybe 300 pixels?) and their width will scale down accordingly. The issue with this method is that if we allow multiple images in a signature area and a user makes use of multiple large images, they could effectively circumvent this height restriction because the 300 pixel height rule would be imposed on a per image basis, meaning that three large images would translate into 900 pixels of viewable signature area. This is quite a rubbish method for handling it, but thought you guys might be interested.
  • A better method and the one I went with with the last style (read: template) was to force a maximum height for the entire signature area. This means that you guys won't need to worry about resizing your images -- which was my motivation for using this method last time -- but it does mean that a portion of your image may get cut off.
  • Or we could make use of a combination of the two. Which makes the most sense. I'll get something in place ASAP.
But, for what it's worth, reducing the size of your images may help reduce the bandwidth (or 'data' to use modern phone speak) required to load pages, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to resize your signature images if you feel up to it.

I'm likely going to just throw out a roundabout 'safe' signature height limit of 300 pixels or so, but I can tell already that quite a few people will see their signatures cut off by this. If you guys want to throw some numbers my way and let me know what you think is a fair height - ideally in pixels because stating '3 images tall' is not a valid metric! :D

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Here's some UI feedback. When you press on an edit option such as bold characters, italic, or whatever else, the icon gets greyed out and that makes it almost invisible against the already grey background of the bar. Not a huge thing, sure, but rather bothersome indeed.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Here's some UI feedback. When you press on an edit option such as bold characters, italic, or whatever else, the icon gets greyed out and that makes it almost invisible against the already grey background of the bar. Not a huge thing, sure, but rather bothersome indeed.
Complain about this to PixelExit. They designed the skin.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
What do you think of Dexter's new accent?

I... was kind of convinced, but since this is the Dark Passenger we're talking about here, I couldn't help but laugh (because I didn't know it took place in England beforehand).

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
What do you think of Dexter's new accent?

I... was kind of convinced, but since this is the Dark Passenger we're talking about here, I couldn't help but laugh (because I didn't know it took place in England beforehand).
That's not "Dexter" the character. That's "Dexter" the actor. You ****ing piece of... Don't do that, man. Don't play with my heart. :frown: I miss Dexter the show, and I would just died to see a new take on the Dexter universe. From what I see, or read, this has NOTHING to do with Dexter the character.

*cries* Hopes gone.

Top Bottom