• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Alter Echo: The Basis of DmC?

Railazel

Hey guys, what's up?

This thread's about how DmC is highly similar to our ever- so- amazing reboot. I'm just sort of being the "conspirator" here and say that NT might have based DmC on this game. Basically, fusing DMC with this game to make DmC. The game in question is titled (if you can't guess) Alter Echo. I'm not going to go into details here since basically the similarities between the two games will suffice as a decent summary for the story.

As a brief sum- up though, Alter Echo takes place in a far future where humankind finds a substance known as Plast on a planet made entirely out of the stuff called Proteus. The Plast is a mendable substance that can only be controlled by psychics known as "Shapers." The story is about a young Shaper named Nevin who uses a suit made out of EchoPlast, an advanced Plast with its own intelligence, to fight against the mad Shaper known as Paavo who plans to use the powers of his new creation, Echo, the intelligence behind EchoPlast and the brain of the planet itself, to destroy mankind.

Now onto the similiarities:

A Hostile World?

During Alter Echo's conception, the team behind (Outrage games, if I recall) had originally planned that Echo would grow to hate mankind. Naturally, Nevin would have to go down into Proteus and stop Echo. They changed this so that Echo would be the victim of "parental abuse" as Paavo would force Echo to create monsters known as Plastids.

The selling point of the game wasn't just that the world was living, but mendable. You can change it to suit your needs. However, you couldn't change it at your free will, there were points in the game where you had to use your psychic link with Echo to shape passageways to continue through the game.

As you can tell, DmC's Malice and Limbo are similar to Echo and Proteus. Limbo is a world controlled by an intelligence known as Malice. Proteus is world controlled by Echo. Of course, during certain points of the game, you can change the world to suit your needs.

Haven't I Seen Those Drones Before?

Another similarity is that the enemies you fight are formed from the world itself. In Alter Echo, the Drones are created by Paavo through the use of EchoPlast (basically Echo's body) to stop you. Not only that, but the Drones were highly similar in design but each variation was more powerful than the next. Same thing with the Drones from DmC.

I Can Change Into What?

Another similarity is the fact that you use three modes. In Alter Echo, your suit was made from EchoPlast, so you can change it at will to suit your needs. You had three modes: Gun Mode, Sword Mode, and Stealth Mode.

These modes, while different in purpose, have similar traits to DmC's modes. Like Devil Mode, Gun Mode was slow but dealt heavy damage; Sword Mode was average in speed and strength like Normal Mode; and Stealth was light but very quick like Angel Mode.

Is That My Rank? Or Just A Random List of Moves?

One thing that I like about Alter Echo was that its ranking system was a combo counter and gave you a list of the moves you did that would be translated as points for you to use, just like DmC's new ranking system.

I Can Juggle What?

This is a small similarity, but you had a dedicated Juggle button that had the same amount of versatility as DmC's juggling system.

What The Heck Is A Prehensile Tongue?

While you were in Stealth Mode, you can grab your enemies like a frog with your tongue (Demon Pull) or you can pounce on top of their heads (Angel Lift). The cool thing about it was that, while on top of your enemy, you can transform into another mode and your mode will still have a hold of your enemy.

I Can Slow Down Time?

In Alter Echo, you had the ability to slow down (stop, rather) time and do heavy damage to your enemies. I found this similar to DmC's DT.

I Don't Need To Block! I Need To Evade!

Another small similiarity, there was a dedicated defense button as a trigger button.

And that's about it, I believe. Here are some gameplay videos for you guys to compare:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Interesting find. Good to see where NT atleast got some inspiration. The similarities are seriously the same, but the stories are far too different so it's not complete copy and paste. THough swordplay with this character is different from Dante's. If I remember correctly, Bayonetta copied space harrier. Plus I'm not too suprised since the Devil May Cry series in general has a habit of copying other medias
images
images

images
images

So it's not to suprising.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Interesting find. Good to see where NT atleast got some inspiration. The similarities are seriously the same, but the stories are far too different so it's not complete copy and paste. THough swordplay with this character is different from Dante's. If I remember correctly, Bayonetta copied space harrier. Plus I'm not too suprised since the Devil May Cry series in general has a habit of copying other medias
images
images

images
images

DMC3 copying Inuyasha.....I would say no.......but now I think about it yeah & its not just the red outfit & white hair. Dante's & Vergil's relationship is exactly like Inuyasha's & Sesshomaru's(both 2 brothers of a powerful demon who passed down 2 swords a large powerful sword to Dante/Inuyasha & a small yet long fast sword to Vergil/Sesshomaru). Then you have Vergil/Sesshomaru power hungry guys who wants to surpass their father by taking something from their brothers (Dante's other half of the amulet/Inuyasha's sword) or retrieve a sword that belong to their fathers (Sparda/Inuyasha's sword was their father's main & strongest weapon). Then their is them being half human half demon too.

Also pertaining to DmC, if you watched Inuyasha there were certain occasions that Inuyasha's hair would turn black & it meant his demon powers went down or was low & he lacked them so his white hair meant he was using his demon powers at their full potential but black hair meant he was low on them(see any similarities).

Railazel

images
images

images
images

It's arguable whether DMC 3 was based off of Inuyasha. I always considered it coincidental seeing as how DMC 3 is just a reboot of DMC 1. As for DMC 4, yeah, I always thought that they took some stuff from Bleach.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
DMC1 reminded people of Blade.

the anime reminded me of cowboy bebop but without the interesting or fun parts.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It's arguable whether DMC 3 was based off of Inuyasha. I always considered it coincidental seeing as how DMC 3 is just a reboot of DMC 1. As for DMC 4, yeah, I always thought that they took some stuff from Bleach.
Its still possible that Bingo(a former mangaka or author for mangas) could've used other manga series(or Inuyasha) for his basis for the plot of DMC3. I mean if you read a lot of manga(like me.......well maybe not like me now) but other manga authors usually take from other series like how Naruto & One Piece borrowed from DBZ, Bleach borrowed from Inuyasha, & so forth & so forth. Same goes for books & video games.....especially video games.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DMC3 copying Inuyasha.....I would say no.......but now I think about it yeah & its not just the red outfit & white hair. Dante's & Vergil's relationship is exactly like Inuyasha's & Sesshomaru's(both 2 brothers of a powerful demon who passed down 2 swords a large powerful sword to Dante/Inuyasha & a small yet long fast sword to Vergil/Sesshomaru). Then you have Vergil/Sesshomaru power hungry guys who wants to surpass their father by taking something from their brothers (Dante's other half of the amulet/Inuyasha's sword) or retrieve a sword that belong to their fathers (Sparda/Inuyasha's sword was their father's main & strongest weapon). Then their is them being half human half demon too.

Also pertaining to DmC, if you watched Inuyasha there were certain occasions that Inuyasha's hair would turn black & it meant his demon powers went down or was low & he lacked them so his white hair meant he was using his demon powers at their full potential but black hair meant he was low on them(see any similarities).

I was thinking more on Rosario Vampire with the hair turning white, but that's different from Dante's.

chocolatepanda

About the enemies DMC has always had similar enemies types as u go through the game that get stronger so thats nothin new. The similarities in the forms in the games is somewhat different though. Its not 100% confirmed that all angel weapons will be fast and weak and all demon weapons will be slow and powerful since up till now they've only talked about Osiris and the Arbiter.

Tiran

The great pretender.
No. Very different. There are similarities though.
The origin of vampirism is actually demonic. This is true in many works of fiction.
In 'Crimson', Lilith was the queen and mother of all demonic beasts, including vampires.
In Blade, the vampires worshiped demonic gods, some (Decon frost) attempting to become demon gods themselves.
In Darkstalkers, Vampires are a type of demon.
Dracula's origin is hellish and demonic.

AngelMode

The term "vampire" is widely used in many different ways. In some versions, they are demons, in others they are just superhuman beings infected with some sort of virus that makes them drink human blood... and everything in between. I read Dracula a long time ago and the book does sort of hint that Dracula had some sort of relation with devils and such... so....

Anyway, that game reminds me of Kingdom Hearts, the ground combos look a lot alike. DmC may have a lot of similarities to this game, but they obviously took most of their ideas from, believe it or not, previous DMC games... The whole alive city and different dimensions and stuff was done for the purpose of explaining previous unexplained details in DMC (like the red string things) and to make the world more believable. I mean, in DMC3, a huge tower came out of the ground a killed everybody but the world gave zero ****s about the fact and nobody, except Dante and Lady, went ahead and tried to do something about it.

somekidfromthe90's

images
images

images
images

i love the similarities between Inoue and Kiriye; two of the most annoying and useless people in their respective worlds

Top Bottom